$30 Spark Plugs = :(

Took the P5 to Firestone to replace the driver side low beam bulb and to change the air filter. We enquired about replacing the plugs: owners manual says 60000 miles while they said 100000, according to them the recommended NGK plugs are $30 apiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say they were not purchased, is Firestone correct??

ourLaserBlueMP5 said:
Took the P5 to Firestone to replace the driver side low beam bulb and to change the air filter. We enquired about replacing the plugs: owners manual says 60000 miles while they said 100000, according to them the recommended NGK plugs are $30 apiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say they were not purchased, is Firestone correct??

I replaced mine with NGK iridiums which were about $7 each. There were no gains so you're better off to get the ~$2 NGK plugs. I am pretty sure the plugs should be changed at 30k also.

Something's really wrong here. OEM plugs are like, 10 bucks. Total.
And they're pretty damned easy to change. So Firestone is totally f*cking with you, maybe, or you misunderstood.
BTW, it's 30k for plugs.

Firestone is quite possibly the worst place you can take your car to get worked on. You'd be better off running your car into a tree at 50mph instead of going there. (I'm surprised so many members go there)

That being said, just goto the local auto parts store and pick up whatever is stock, you don't need anything more (or less) that what the car came with. Whatever they are, it should be pretty cheap.

they prolly meant 30 bux for all 4, and now that i think about it that is what they meant cuz no way ur about to drop 120 bux on plugs

Here's the problem...
ourLaserBlueMP5 said:
Took the P5 to Firestone to replace the driver side low beam bulb and to change the air filter.

The techs/thieves thought that if they replaced your air filter & bulbs, they think you know nothing about cars (2 things that are easily changed w/o special tools). That's when they decide to rip you off with the plugs.

WiL

get the model number that they are trying to buy the plugs and go get them off the net for 4 bux and say here i brought u the plugs.... or this could be a realization that some of the easier smaller stuff you might want to start doing urself

SkinnyJoint said:
get the model number that they are trying to buy the plugs and go get them off the net for 4 bux and say here i brought u the plugs.... or this could be a realization that some of the easier smaller stuff you might want to start doing urself

Great ideas guys, now if someone would be so kind as to donate some tools then ill do it.

I got a 119 piece from walmart for $20. I know, it's not the coolest in the world, but it gets the job done (I got the important 1 from sears tho...aka torque wrench lol), and it even has the spark plug sockets in it (the 1's w/ the rubber that holds the plug in place).

you can pick up the stock plugs at www.mazdastuff.com. they're $1.75 a piece. oh and if your going to install them its nice to have one of those deep sockets that has a rubber washer in it to grip the plug and take it out easy.

Robot Romeo said:
oh and if your going to install them its nice to have one of those deep sockets that has a rubber washer in it to grip the plug and take it out easy.

You can also use a fuel line hose to pull/install the plugs. Shove the s.plug in the hose and lower it in the plug holes with the hose and thread it in...Once it's snug, remove the hose & use a deep socket to tighten it.

WiL

Boy, no offense but if you took your car somewhere to replace a light and an air filter, you deserve to pay 30 a plug.

MP5_509 said:
Boy, no offense but if you took your car somewhere to replace a light and an air filter, you deserve to pay 30 a plug.

LOL

I had the NGK Iridiums from 30k-60k and just replaced them a few weeks ago with NGK V-Power copper and noticed no real difference. I'm pretty sure the 4 V-Powers were under 10 dollars with tax. Even if they don't last as long I'll be ok with it.

Just out of curiosity, since they managed to request $30 per plug. . . . what'd the bulb, air filter, and installation run for?

As far as Firestone... it all depends. I have a friend who is a mechanic at Firestone, one of the few good ones. He's looking at openning his own shop someday. In fact, any mechanic place will entirely depend on the quality of their employees. Quick tire places don't care much, therefore most will suck for anything beyond installing tires and doing oil changes.

As far as quotes for a job, they are typically generic calculations of time and parts. On some cars, changing plugs is very difficult. On the P5, it's a piece of cake with frosting. You could probly haggle with them to get the price down... or just do it yourself.

Also, it's a good idea to learn how to do some of this stuff yourself. The air filter is very easy and might cost $5-$10. The plugs are easy and cost a buck or two a piece. I haven't done lightbulbs yet, so those might be a little more tricky. I've always found it far more valuable to spend the time to learn how to do it. It might take me a day to do something that a professional could do in an hour, but I'm generally far wiser once I figure it out on my own.

hex2bit said:
just do it yourself.

Also, it's a good idea to learn how to do some of this stuff yourself.
The air filter is very easy and might cost $5-$10. The plugs are easy and cost a buck or two a piece. I haven't done lightbulbs yet, so those might be a little more tricky. I've always found it far more valuable to spend the time to learn how to do it. It might take me a day to do something that a professional could do in an hour, but I'm generally far wiser once I figure it out on my own.
Yep! I heard that!

Back