MA banning aftermarket exhaust?

dark86

saw this online somewhere...are they really gonna ban it???

Massachusetts Bill to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Approved by Transportation Committee

After being stalled in 2005, a bill (H.B. 2011) to ban the sale or installation of an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust was approved by the Massachusetts Joint Transportation Committee. As you might recall, the bill had been revised from previous versions to exclude limited-use antique motor cars. This amendment represents a clear attempt by the bills sponsor to divide the automobile hobby in an effort to gain clearer sailing for this restrictive and damaging piece of legislation. H.B. 2011 has been now referred to the House Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee.

We Urge You to Contact the Members of the Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 2011.

* H.B. 2011 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

* H.B. 2011 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.

* H.B. 2011 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

* H.B. 2011 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

* H.B. 2011 would only exclude antique motor cars defined as those vehicles over 25-years old which are used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, etc.

DONT DELAY! Please contact members of the Massachusetts House Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to request their opposition to H.B. 2011. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Thank you for your assistance.

Massachusetts House Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee

Paul Donato, Chair
617-722-2960
Rep.PaulDonato@hou.state.ma.us

Joyce Spiliotis, Vice-Chair
617-722-2430
Rep.JoyceSpiliotis@hou.state.ma.us

Marie Parente
617-722-2010
Rep.MarieParente@hou.state.ma.us

Paul Casey
617-722-2380
Rep.PaulCasey@hou.state.ma.us

Robert Fennell
617-722-2470
Rep.RobertFennell@hou.state.ma.us

Martin Walsh
617-722-2090
Rep.MartinWalsh@hou.state.ma.us

Brian Wallace
617-722-2120
Rep.BrianWallace@hou.state.ma.us

James Welch
617-722-2060
Rep.JamesWelch@Hou.State.ma.us

i fail to see why any car shouldnt be allowed to be as loud as a harley, peterbilt truck, or viper is from the factory...such bulls***

personally I think emmissions should be standard across the board also, why is it ok for me to pollute more if i bought a SUV or a truck?

and then the one area where restrictions should vary by vehicle - speed limits - it does not.

sigh...

yep, slug hit the nail on the head. i'm tired of complaining about our govt. (deadhorse

Letter sent. I think this bill is BS, even though I don't have an aftermarket exhaust. Hopefully it won't pass, but we'll see....

edit- response I got:

"Dear Lee:

Thank you for your email.

I appreciate you taking the time to express your views and concerns regarding this legislation to my attention. Please be assured that I am also opposed to this bill.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Rep. Paul J. Donato
35th Middlesex District"

Last edited:
Canecreekfreak said:
Letter sent. I think this bill is BS, even though I don't have an aftermarket exhaust. Hopefully it won't pass, but we'll see....

edit- response I got:

"Dear Lee:

Thank you for your email.

I appreciate you taking the time to express your views and concerns regarding this legislation to my attention. Please be assured that I am also opposed to this bill.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Rep. Paul J. Donato
35th Middlesex District"

yeah, sure, he'll say whatever it takes to get your vote.

i saw the representative today outside of his office, i took a picture of the car he got into...now i know why he's against it too!
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

Attachments

• exhaust.bmp
    492.2 KB · Views: 259
How exactly can police officers enforce this? How are they to know what is stock and what is aftermarket? ...and how are they to know that it is louder than stock?

Are they going to be given a spreadsheet of the spl of every car on the market along with an spl meter? An SPL meter for every cruiser in the state...how much is that gonna cost?

chuyler1 said:
How exactly can police officers enforce this? How are they to know what is stock and what is aftermarket? ...and how are they to know that it is louder than stock?

Are they going to be given a spreadsheet of the spl of every car on the market along with an spl meter? An SPL meter for every cruiser in the state...how much is that gonna cost?

they can't...they can't even enforce all the laws/reg's on the book now! if anything it will be done at an inspection station and you'll have some dort of sticker that say's it's stock/legal whateva.......

...but cops will still pull people over and attempt to enforce this.

...as if they don't already.

chuyler1 said:
...but cops will still pull people over and attempt to enforce this.

...as if they don't already.

ya, and the'll look for the sticker..if you don't have one....fine!

This is discrimination, because most of the "antique" cars will be the 60 70's muscle cars and the cars that will be impacted are your "ricers" So now they are discriminating against cars instead of colors? MA is messed up, first legalizing that crap now they are gonna enforce this, glad I didn't like Kerry, what kind of state did he came from???

taxachusettes sucks big time! the state continues to lose more and more of it's citizens to other more "friendlier" states...i have family in kentucky and florida, no inspections, no taxing you to death, insurance is like a 1/3 of what it is here..home prices are like a 1/3 less..i can't wait to get out of here!

chuyler1 said:

just like they do now, pulling over stock STIs and evos for exhaust and wings...

chuyler1 said:
We should have a NEPOC vote and slug can send a letter on behalf of our entire club.

hehe, maybe not the best idea, i sent an email to all those ppl this afternoon and i think it may have been a little inappropriate. :)

i wanna draft a professional letter about this that we can send in because this comes up all the time

slug420 said:
just like they do now, pulling over stock STIs and evos for exhaust and wings...

hehe, maybe not the best idea, i sent an email to all those ppl this afternoon and i think it may have been a little inappropriate. :)

i wanna draft a professional letter about this that we can send in because this comes up all the time

you're innapropriate!

Interesting.

I remember once going in for an inspection and they asked if my Racing Beat Exhaust was aftermarket. I told them it came with the car. They never said anything.

Even if it makes it, it will be another law too difficult to enforce.

Back