Hid Kit Anyone?

RicesP5 said:
:( yall jacked my thread.. as for most HID kits they plug into the stock bulb socket so i dont see how that would viod a warrenty at all

HID kits that draw their power from the headlight socket and NOT directly from the battery will draw too much current through the headlight wires and melt them after about a year. Thats why all good HID kits use the headlight power simply to close a relay to turn the HIDs on, while they stil ldraw power themselves directly from the battery.

Maxx Mazda said:
HID kits that draw their power from the headlight socket and NOT directly from the battery will draw too much current through the headlight wires and melt them after about a year. Thats why all good HID kits use the headlight power simply to close a relay to turn the HIDs on, while they stil ldraw power themselves directly from the battery.

hmm isnt that what teh balastics are or whatever they are called..i need something the bulb i have now is melting the socket. .. just one of them tho. all 3 otherones seem to be fine.. i dont get it..maybe a short in the bulb?

HID's inherantly use less power anyway. I had hid's on my MSP for 2 years straight and never once did the connector show any signs of being melted or broken. I even had two seperate kits. If you are worried you can by a relay harness from www.hid-lights.com and then you don't have to worry about frying anything. The harness takes power directly from the battery and just plugs into the car to get 12V to open the relay for power from the battery. But seriously i wouldn't worry about it. I never had a problem. Now when I bought those crappy wannabe hyperwhite bulbs for my sentra they melted the plugs. but thats cuz i went from stock 55watt bulbs to 110watt bulbs. Took more current to power them and the heat melted the plug. HID's use 35watts TOTAL! Just get them and be happy!

Planning on it. i went from the stock 55watts to like 110 to. ion yellow bulbs spent probaly 50 bux on them but i must say they are bright. and ******* cool looking. they go from yellow to purple to blue .. but i prefer for my plug not to melt

pb4ugoout said:
HID's inherantly use less power anyway. I had hid's on my MSP for 2 years straight and never once did the connector show any signs of being melted or broken. I even had two seperate kits. If you are worried you can by a relay harness from www.hid-lights.com and then you don't have to worry about frying anything. The harness takes power directly from the battery and just plugs into the car to get 12V to open the relay for power from the battery. But seriously i wouldn't worry about it. I never had a problem. Now when I bought those crappy wannabe hyperwhite bulbs for my sentra they melted the plugs. but thats cuz i went from stock 55watt bulbs to 110watt bulbs. Took more current to power them and the heat melted the plug. HID's use 35watts TOTAL! Just get them and be happy!

pb4ugoout said:

HIDs draw closer to 75W on cold startup. Thats why in kits that don't use relays you have to upgrade your headlight fuses.

RicesP5 said:
hmm isnt that what teh balastics are or whatever they are called..i need something the bulb i have now is melting the socket. .. just one of them tho. all 3 otherones seem to be fine.. i dont get it..maybe a short in the bulb?

Maybe a bad HID kit more than likely. The ballasts basically take the 12V from the car and convert it to the 18-25,000 volts used for the bulb ignition. The ballasts also regulate the power to the bulbs, decreasing voltage as they warm up (why they change color after ignition.)

well that makes sense...still have never had a plug fry on me...isn't to say it couldn't or wouldn't happen tho

Well, I just got mine from cqlights.ca and it was a pian trying to figure out the polarity, I had to try about 10 different combinations but now they are working. I have to mount the ballasts and ignitors tonight and try to find a reason why the halogen high beams want to stay on even on low beams but the hid's look awesome(6500k). I had to unhook the high beams for now until I fugure it out, but it is a good quality kit and would buy it for the $213 shipped I paid.

And Maxx Mazda, you have to change that avatar, it drives me crazy, I hope to god you are not the goofy kid on there.

jtmp3 said:
And Maxx Mazda, you have to change that avatar, it drives me crazy, I hope to god you are not the goofy kid on there.

What are you saying? Thats my pic man...

Back