best suspension compromise

FL_PR5

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
ok after a few hours of driving back and forth in FL. i've decided to upgrade the suspension. right now it is really bumpy and i feel everything when i drive over it. it's pretty annoying after 8-10hrs of driving. but i've read you can't really upgrade the suspension or springs without sacrificing the handling. so i was wondering which ones the best one for this problem. i basically want something smoother than now, aggressive look (stock chrome rims and tires on the 5), good at handling (prefer to stay the same if not improve it), and could enjoy driving. also wouldn't mind adjustable ones since i could make them what i want.

i need help choosing with the eibach pro's, skunk2 coilovers, and tokicko hp struts and spring combo (off ebay). i'm rusty in this area so any info would be great.

I believe the MP3 suspension is the best compromise. Its handles like its on rails, never bottoms out, sits low enough so there is just enough wheel gap and its not that rough a ride at all. I can drive hours in this car with out problems.

I'd say get the Tokico HP's and some springs that have a very close spring rate to the Racing Beat springs. Of course you will need the upgraded sway bars to get full benefit.

i have the tokico blues (hps) and the eibach prokit, and it rides fine and handles even better. it is lower than the racing beat springs, and gives the car a much better look. if you want a smoother ride, you can get the tokico illuminas that can be adjusted to make the strut softer or firmer. from what i have heard, and correct me if i am wrong, the tokico hp's compare to the stiffest setting on the tokico illumnias.
craig

it sounds like you have it backwards... are you looking to improve ride quality or improve handling. its really hard to have both. like what was said earlier the mp3 suspension is a pretty good compromise. you could also go with a higher section height on the tires. i did that and my ride got super smooth.

i have mp3 struts and tein stech springs with 205/50/16 on stock rims. i used to use 215/40/17 and the ride is now much smoother on stock wheels since i have a lot more tire to cushion the ride. wish i could've gone to the meet but i was stuck at firestone working

oh yea tokico hp's are supposedly setting 3 on the 5 way adjustable illumina's

i should go out and take some pics so you can see the tein drop.

that'd be great. i'm compiling a list of upgrades to buy. so i'm looking at everything now and can finalize it later. i don't really race but i like to hug corners at high speeds and have fun in the 5. but i keep getting told that my ride is really stiff. so thats my main problem. if some springs would help then thats fine. would skunk2's (adjustable) or the racing beat springs do the trick or would i have to go all out and get tokickos too?

I think the tokico hp's and the msp springs would offer the most comprimise for you. if you want a little stiffer then you can get the eibach pro's, eibach sportline offer more of a drop but not as stiff and then the espelirs which have nice drop and semi-stiff

Well pretty much anything you get will be stiffer than stock. However, if your stock struts and springs are pretty old and beat up, a new setup might feel better.

Typically you want to replace the struts when doing the springs. Tokicos and Espelir springs look like a good choice. You could go with the cheaper Tokicos to save money as well.

Another thing you might consider is getting a better tire more suited to what you want. I never experienced the stock Dunlop's, but my Kumho ASX give a great combination of ride comfort/noise, wet/snow traction, and grip.

i think the MP3/MSP setup is the best compromise, and i think it rides just fine, but it is noticeably stiffer than the stock P5/ES ride. if you think your stock suspension is too stff, you're not goinng to like the full-on MP3 bits.

that said, if your struts are old, replacing them will help a ton. my suggestion would be to keep the springs you have and upgrade the struts to the tokicos, then add a rear sway bar; either the racing beat or the 19mm AWR bar.

the added damping of the tokicos will actually improve the ride, without adding stiffness from stronger springs. and the sway bar will help reduce body roll without significantly adding to the ride stiffness. and going to 205/50/16 tires should help as well, esp if you stay away from "max performance" tires and their stiffer sidewalls.

remember, on a mcstrut-based economy car, you're not going to get a BMW-like blend of perfect ride and awesome handling. some compromises need to be made.

i'm currently running stock.

thanks for all the input so far. i'm getting a general idea of everything now. and i know i can't have both. so willing to compromise something.

I think a set of hp's and either eibachs, h&r's or sprints woould ride okay for you. Goodf luck and happy modding

The 205's vs. 195's can make a significant difference in the ride quality, depending on the tire. I went from the OEM Dunlops to a 205 toyo proxes4. The sidewall on this tire doesn't feel as stiff as the OEMs. The extra flex and additional sidewall do a great job of smoothening the ride. The car no longer "crashes" over potholes.

alright i'm looking at tokickos HP spring and shock sets or perhaps tokicko illumina shocks and getting aftermarket springs like tien-s's. i mainly want a smoother ride, so i'm willing to give up some handling. but if i get enough money back from taxes then perhaps i'll go for the illuminas if that is better for ride quality. i mainly like the illuminas because i can adjust the tension on them for whenever i want a smoother or harder ride.

if u get springs, the right will NOT be smoother, adjustable struts or not....

I have the stock setup on my MP3 and it feels great. Another guy with the Mp3 down here has the Tein SS kit and its amazing. Im going for that with the EDFC later this year. W/E you go with its gonna be better than the OEM and its gonna put a smile on your face. Good look!

amaff: if i get aftermarket springs it won't be smooth?

if the tokicko HP blues are smoother than the adjustable illuminas then i'll go for the HP blues.

ok, thanks. trying to find out the higher what number makes it stiffer, like the drop number or what.

Back