Odd whistle

it should be the air intake. when i removed the bottom piece of the intake, instantly, the whistle got noticably louder that night (and only that night). at least for now, i dont hear it any more.

zverg said:
I wonder if we are all having the same sound. I only noticed it after I installed my UDP, and it's right at 5500RPMs.

over 5000rpm I get it. its like a slight rattle/flute whistle.

I dont think its the CAI tapping anything.

I tried to get some audio but there was too much wind noise

Last edited:
Rac3rX said:
over 5000rpm I get it. its like a slight rattle/flute whistle.

I dont think its the CAI tapping anything.

I tried to get some audio but there was too much wind noise
Bump

Does Anybody with motor mounts have this issue?

if its the engine vibrating or something like that, I figure that should fix it.

They are also next on my install list, Im hopping to heve them in in the next couple of weeks. If that does fix it Ill be sure to you all know.

Rac3rX said:
Bump

Does Anybody with motor mounts have this issue?

if its the engine vibrating or something like that, I figure that should fix it.

They are also next on my install list, Im hopping to heve them in in the next couple of weeks. If that does fix it Ill be sure to you all know.

I have the AWR front mount, and I've used it with the 95 durometer and now the 70 durometer and it doesn't change the whistle.

zverg said:
I have the AWR front mount, and I've used it with the 95 durometer and now the 70 durometer and it doesn't change the whistle.

Damit!

Could it be something with the throttle? I mean if Its after 500rpm (Usually we are WOT) could it be something from that area?

What do you find better 95D or 70D (I would assume things rattle a little more at idle with the95)

Oh & just to be sure we are all on the same page. There are 2 Whistle issues.

#1 Going over 80 causes a whistling sound

#2 When over 5000rpms while accelerating there is a sort of whistle sound untill the shift and rpm's drop back down.

We are Experiencing and Discussing #2, Right?

Last edited:
Brian MP5T said:
That's Odd

I think your ride is too many levels past stock, most likely anything that could be causing this issue you probably changed already (Or insured all is well when your motor was in peices)

I got to say dispite our past diferences, you have The Nicest Protege Ive seen. Most of the Stuff Ive been planning and dreaming about doing to my car youve done. (Hats off to you) I humble myself and apologize for any past diferences.

Yeah I'm discussing #2. On the motor mounts, the 70D, though it isn't broken in (I have maybe 10 miles on it) already feels way different than the 95D. I never noticed it before I installed my UDP. Maybe this sound is belt squeal just at really high RPMs? I really have no clue.

no clue but mine does it all the time at high rpms. also i get this hissing noise when accelerating above 3000rpm.any suggestions on that?......im thinking maybe the turbo.

zverg said:
Yeah I'm discussing #2. On the motor mounts, the 70D, though it isn't broken in (I have maybe 10 miles on it) already feels way different than the 95D. I never noticed it before I installed my UDP. Maybe this sound is belt squeal just at really high RPMs? I really have no clue.

Is there a way to lub the belts? If its belt squeel.

On the mounts?

Im about to make a order for them from AWR, what Duro do you sugest?

My Mod list is not much CAI, & axl back. I plan to get headers after I get the mounts (Too much wheel hop as it is already, & I think I might of torn one because I get the hop all the time during regular driving in winter)

Last edited:
h8rsnv said:
no clue but mine does it all the time at high rpms. also i get this hissing noise when accelerating above 3000rpm.any suggestions on that?......im thinking maybe the turbo.

You bastard! I need more turbo! :)

at least you have fog lights on your car,sometimes i can barely see around here when i drive at night cause of the damn heavy fog,turbo doesnt do much when im forced to drive slow in the fog so i dont hit anything.

lets trade my turbo for your fog lights.lol(thumb)

h8rsnv said:
at least you have fog lights on your car,sometimes i can barely see around here when i drive at night cause of the damn heavy fog,turbo doesnt do much when im forced to drive slow in the fog so i dont hit anything.

lets trade my turbo for your fog lights.lol(thumb)

Hell yeah where do I ship them :D

(thumb) (thumb)

They are aimed too low to actually do anything though. I need to readjust them, which I just realized I can do now that I have a level place (my garage) with a flat wall in front of it (garage wall) to make all the measurements and stuff to aim it all precisely to DOT specs.

cant wait for my tax money to roll in for more upgrades to my MSP. then that hissing and whistling will be drowned out by my Injen CAI and HKS BOV....ZOOM ZOOM!

How long has this been happening? I get a slight, yet noticable, whine from the transmission at about the same RPM level (normal).

its been happening since i bought my msp last july. everything is running great with no problems,said the mazda service guy that did my 15,000 mile check up last month.....gotta love low mileage

kcbhiw said:
How long has this been happening? I get a slight, yet noticable, whine from the transmission at about the same RPM level (normal).

No we arnt talking about tranny whine. Its a odd sound that sound out of place and wrong (Like a metal on metal rattle/whistle) Or some sort of Belt whine. Its faint, but absolutly there, and while Ive also had complete checks with nothing wrong found that doesnt mean something isnt wrong, it just means they havnt found it yet. I think we all would like to find it before it leads to other possible issues, Or if its harmless, to have peace of mind to know its just that.

Last edited:
oh I dunno it's possible that mine is a whine from the tranny. I'll get a sound clip of it when I recover from this migraine and resume installing my new struts :( so probably tomorrow afternoon.

I've got the flute sound under partial throttle now. Occasionally at around 3500rpm aswell. This just after I changed my stock bpv to forge bpv. Anyone figure this out. You guys gave me some idea's to check out...but it's weird cause i really think all is tight.

Back