Odd whistle

Roywhitep5 said:
my engine whistles like a tea kettle at 5k rpm. thoughts?
Yeah.. that happens to mine also.
Not a bad sound, but I think it is interesting. Maybe just because it is spinning 4 cylinders much faster at 5k+ rpms than a 6 cylinder?

My Camaro never did that,. So I am not sure.

Vacuum leak? Idler pulley, alternator or some other bearing? I've personally never heard a radiator whistle.

Rusty said:
Vacuum leak? Idler pulley, alternator or some other bearing? I've personally never heard a radiator whistle.

If there's a crack on the top end of your radiator & it's low on coolant, the steam will cause a whistling sound coming out the cracked area.

Now is it while you're driving, or can you rev it up at the throttle body & find the noise?

WiL

Last edited:
Air intake somewhere. If it was the radiator it wouldn't do it long before motor overheated & how could you miss the mess under the hood if it was steaming all over the place?

Roywhitep5 said:
i think its only when the car is accelerating

Then it may not be the engine...maybe something came loose that is vibrating in the wind, make sure everything is tied down...

If all else fails, crank your stereo louder (thumb)

WiL

This is off-topic but I saw the title and figured I'd ask. When I turn my car off I get this weird "winding-down/whistling noise" that almost sounds like a turbo spooling down. I've had the car for nearly a year now but I've just resently noticed it. Is this a normal thing? Oh, by the way, I have a CAI and a catback exhaust but I've made sure everything it tight and that there are no gaps. Thanks, and sorry to threadjack.

magnumP5 said:
This is off-topic but I saw the title and figured I'd ask. When I turn my car off I get this weird "winding-down/whistling noise" that almost sounds like a turbo spooling down. I've had the car for nearly a year now but I've just resently noticed it. Is this a normal thing? Oh, by the way, I have a CAI and a catback exhaust but I've made sure everything it tight and that there are no gaps. Thanks, and sorry to threadjack.

It's the CAI.. just think of it as breathing a sigh of relief when you shut off the car.

I also have the 5k RPM whistle.

Roywhitep5, do you have an underdrive pulley? Mine started making the sound after that.

zverg said:
It's the CAI.. just think of it as breathing a sigh of relief when you shut off the car.

I also have the 5k RPM whistle.

Roywhitep5, do you have an underdrive pulley? Mine started making the sound after that.
Ah, I get it, thanks. I also have a whistle under accleration. Since the CAI causes a whistle at shutdown, couldn't it also be causing this whistling?

if you blaming this on the cai, then it should be the same sound if your at ur engin bay and u give it some gas ull here the "whistle" that you speak of.

My P5 is completely stock, I do think it is the air intake. It sounds very cool and I know it is not low on coolant, or a cracked radiator.

ke20sprinter said:
Then it may not be the engine...maybe something came loose that is vibrating in the wind, make sure everything is tied down...

If all else fails, crank your stereo louder (thumb)

WiL
Well it doesn't sound bad, actually kinda like a really small turbo spinning type of whistle.

WOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! hahahaha, I haven't used that 1 in a while :D lol

I think I got the same issue.

When I open her up and accelerate hard I get a little tingle or whistle (hard to tell) when she get over 5000rpm) I got radiator fluid, I get frequint oil changes. Im clueless. It drives me nuts, I want to know what it is to know there isnt a problem (Especially before 2006 season) I started noticing it after the intake got put in.

My engine bay Mods are Injen CAI, Nology wires, Denso Plugs, and Strut bar

Next on the list is AWR Motor Mounts, KB shifter + bushings, & OBX Headers.

Last edited:
I wonder if we are all having the same sound. I only noticed it after I installed my UDP, and it's right at 5500RPMs.

Back