Squeaky wheels/brakes problem

I noticed that since replacing my brake pads that everytime i drive the car after it has been parked for about 30mins or more, either the wheel or brakes squeak for a few mins of driving or until the car reaches 30 KM/hr .. however if i step on the brakes the squeaking will go away a bit .. and also the faster i go the faster the squeaking sound is.

does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

thanks

protegeFive said:
I noticed that since replacing my brake pads that everytime i drive the car after it has been parked for about 30mins or more, either the wheel or brakes squeak for a few mins of driving or until the car reaches 30 KM/hr .. however if i step on the brakes the squeaking will go away a bit .. and also the faster i go the faster the squeaking sound is.

does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

thanks

My brakes did/do this too. For me it was the rear brakes making the noise. I could tell it was the rear because when I engaged the e-brake the sound would go away.

I had the brakes serviced and the sound went away. They would still squeak a little when I first hit the brakes, but never when I was driving without braking. The rear calipers on the P5's are notorious for sticking.

I was also told that the pads on my car will squeak when cold. Some just do that.

Try greasing the caliper guide pins. When I did mine, they were bone dry. This causes the pads caliper to not retract fully and smoothly, and the pads drag on the disk, causing the noise. Usually, the noise would go away after the brakes wamed up. After greasing the guide pins, the noise went away.

aMaff said:
Try greasing the caliper guide pins.

i forgot to lube all pins when i installed my brembos last oct and my rear caliper makes a light scraping noise. i will lube them all up when i put my konigs and repaint my calipers in the spring.......

Last edited:
Thanks for all the reponses!

sorry another question (as i didnt change the pads myself)

Are the pins easy to get to? does it involve taking the brakes apart to get to? I would like to see if it is something i can do or if would i have bring it in to get done.

thanks a lot!

protegeFive said:
Thanks for all the reponses!

sorry another question (as i didnt change the pads myself)

Are the pins easy to get to? does it involve taking the brakes apart to get to? I would like to see if it is something i can do or if would i have bring it in to get done.

thanks a lot!
man, I posted this a while back...but more or less, here's what you do:

1. Go get a tub of brake grease from wherever (smells like hell, but for like $2 u can get a lifetime supply lol)
2. Take ur wheel off
3. On one pin on each caliper (there's 2) there's a plastic cap on the back of it. Take that cap off.
4. Behind the cap is (on the front) a really big hex bolt, can't remember the size (on the rear) a 10mm bolt. If you unscrew that pin, you can actually take it out, making it easy to lube. (also, with this pin backed out, you can swing the caliper up and out of the way to get to the pads).
5. The other pin is gonna be behind a rubber shield thingy (sorry, I know the word for it, I just can't think of it right now). If you slide the caliper all the way out (I don't remember the direction, but basically where you get the fullest length of the pin "visible," you can pull that rubber thing back and put a little grease on there at a time, slide it back and forth to spread it around, and repeat if it's needed.

Ok, that's how I did it, if any1 else has any better ideas, feel free to post em, and I'll use em next time lol

I have nothing to add, just wanted to note that you actually spelled "brake" correctly, where most others use "break". (yippy)

the tortoise said:
My brakes did/do this too. For me it was the rear brakes making the noise. I could tell it was the rear because when I engaged the e-brake the sound would go away.

I had the brakes serviced and the sound went away. They would still squeak a little when I first hit the brakes, but never when I was driving without braking. The rear calipers on the P5's are notorious for sticking.

I was also told that the pads on my car will squeak when cold. Some just do that.

ummmm what u said makes no since.... the ebrake controls the rear brakes...

SkinnyJoint said:
ummmm what u said makes no since.... the ebrake controls the rear brakes...

Ok, I think I see the source of confusion.

After driving for a short while (say 1-2 stops) the noise would go away. But if I had to drive for any short distance, they pads would make a noise as I was driving. The noise wouldn't go away until I had to stop.

By soley engaging the e-brake (and rear brakes only) the sound would disappear almost immediately. Thus, I determined the rear brakes were causing the noise.

Once the brakes warmed up, there was no noise. It wasn't cold out yet, so it took very little time to warm the brakes.

NOTE: I am not too sure if was actually warming up the brakes, or simply removing a coating on the rotor/pad.

EDIT: I wasn't cranking on the e-brake, just enough to engage the brakes.

Last edited:
it might have gone away due to the fact that the pads were making full contact on the rotor. but yea ths is y u can due a burnout in fwds easily (well with little power) because u can just pull the ebrake up and dump the clutch

I do think the sound went away because the pads were making full contact on the rotor.

I also edited my above post.

the tortoise said:

The same thing is happening to my brakes.. if i engage my ebrake a bit.. the sound goes away..

Do you know what they did when you got your brakes services?

I'll try greasing the guide pins..

aMaff, Do i need to worry about the caliper pistons when i do this and do i need release the ebrake ? (sorry ive never changed my brakes before)

thanks!

protegeFive said:
The same thing is happening to my brakes.. if i engage my ebrake a bit.. the sound goes away..

Do you know what they did when you got your brakes services?

I'll try greasing the guide pins..

aMaff, Do i need to worry about the caliper pistons when i do this and do i need release the ebrake ? (sorry ive never changed my brakes before)

thanks!
um, you shouldn't have to worry about the caliper pistons, tho when I did mine (like a couple weeks after I changed my brakes) I did have trouble getting 1 of the rears to go back over the pads...please note, you can not push the rear piston in with a clamp, you will damage the piston. There's a how to on doing the rear brakes, so I'm not gonna go into it lol, but the fronts are fine to use a clamp on if you need to. And no, do not have the e-brake on. You actually need to release the ebrake cable from the brake itself do do this... If you've never done brakes b4, you may want to have a friend who has there to give you a hand incase any issues arise. Once you do it once, u'll be set, I promise lol

I've just adjusted the piston of caliper in the right rear (didnt adjust it on the left rear because the squeaking seems to come from the right) and now the squeaking goes away if i pull the ebrake up one notch for a few seconds when i first drive the car..

does anyone know if retracting the piston more will fix the problem? also why does the squeaking go away when the ebrake is slightly engaged?

thanks

Back