Stick-Shift Driving School????

chuyler1

goes to eleven
:
2013 CX-9
I came across this website in my web searches for an unrelated topic:
http://www.shifters.ca/about.asp

Anyone who drives stick might find the site an interesting read.

Anyway, my fiance is terrified of driving my car. She is new to stick-shift and I did an OK-job of teaching her the basics. She drove home from dinner the other night and after the first stall she did fine. I've taken her out several times and even did about 20 minutes of hill starts so she could get the hang of it but she is still won't drive it.

I was wondering if there was a similar driving school in New England that she could attend so she could get professional instruction and a boost of confidence.

Protege52003 said:
i teach a pretty good driving school with my stick!
of course you can, why dont you give yourself a big pat on the back

I think it is a pretty good option to have, I wish when I took drivers ed in h.s. there was that option, I didn't learn stick til I was around 22 and I taught myself, so you know my confidence wasnt all there in the begining, but I taught my wife how to drive one in a 626, I learned in a jeep as I drove it away from the guy I bought it from

uh huh...and your pregnant wife can atest to that.

edit: This comment was intended for Ryan. I didn't see your comment until afterwards Velocifero

Last edited:
i haven't heard of anything, but they had stick rx8's and miatas at zoom zoom live this year, have her practice there next year :)

Eh...I guess I'll just keep forcing her to drive my car. I find it hard to believe that there are no schools out there that teach driving stick...especially with the gas prices on the rise.

FYI:
Skip Barber prefers their students to be able to handle a standard transmission prior to signing up for any of their courses. They do offer basic instruction- that is, you have to arrive atleast a half hour early before the school day begins but thats about it. After that, their main focus is on other exercises such as effective braking, car control..etc.

Skip Barber is still in the process of negotiating their schedule with Lime Rock Park. A formal schedule should be up within the next few weeks. Check back then if you are still interested.

Thanks, I'll take another look, although it sounds like it might be too advanced for her (at least at this point). I'm just amazed that no one teaches it.

chuyler1 said:
I'm just amazed that no one teaches it.
No one teaches it because there is too little of a demand. The majority of the cars sold in the US are automatics, and most people would rather own an automatic than a standard. Hell, the only people who buy standars anymore are enthusiasts and tightwads.

I just happen to fall under both categories.

Pretzellogic said:
No one teaches it because there is too little of a demand. The majority of the cars sold in the US are automatics, and most people would rather own an automatic than a standard. Hell, the only people who buy standars anymore are enthusiasts and tightwads.

I just happen to fall under both categories.
nah, tightwads are the guys buying the highend performance cars believe it or not, most rich people are tightwads. your just an enthusiast. automatics are boring, i almost fall asleep when driving my wife's 3

for touching brians stick.... thats just nasty man, and i bet he would run your arse over with a tank if you tried... hahahahaha

barber and lime rock.... will have to look into this and the prices... interesting indeed...

dayum... i was hoping $$ in the range of 500-1000, unless something drastic happens i doubt i can afford to do something like that.... some day

chuyler1 said:
Thanks, I'll take another look, although it sounds like it might be too advanced for her (at least at this point). I'm just amazed that no one teaches it.

you have my number!

Back