Towing Boat W/boost

You'd probably ruin the transmission before the engine. All though that wouldn't be far behind. Towing is brutal on the cars engine and drivetrain. I'd stick with the truck as my tow vehicle.

t3ase said:
I've towed the MSP with mi madre's ES. :)

i towed both of these cars to thier current resting place with my P5 (boom07)

HPIM1546.jpg

The problem with towing is NOT stress on the engine, it is stress on the transmission....the F-series tranny is even weaker than the g-series, and regardless either car is not a good tow vehicle...the brakes cannot handle, nor can the transmission....if you want to use your DX/LX to tow, save the money from the hiboost kit for extra transmissions (boom07)

Towing with a turbo four[if it is] does put more strain on the engine because you will be lugging it. You will stay in boost long, the boost will build sooner. This will heat up your exhaust manifold sooner, higher and longer. Maybe you will detonate more.

As for the trans. I do not think you will hurt the trans but the clutch will take the hit. Most trucks can tow more with an auto then a stick. A 4 or 5 speed trans with a convertor will get you better pulling power then slipping a clutch.

If your trailer has brake it will not hurt your system if it is adjusted right.

Go slow and do not tow for to long at any one time. Make sure you have new clean oil in the engine and gear lube in the trans.

I know alot of who towed with the 2.3 turbo and never had problems. Be smart and take it slow, you should be fine.

MPNick said:
Towing with a turbo four[if it is] does put more strain on the engine because you will be lugging it. You will stay in boost long, the boost will build sooner. This will heat up your exhaust manifold sooner, higher and longer. Maybe you will detonate more.

As for the trans. I do not think you will hurt the trans but the clutch will take the hit. Most trucks can tow more with an auto then a stick. A 4 or 5 speed trans with a convertor will get you better pulling power then slipping a clutch.

If your trailer has brake it will not hurt your system if it is adjusted right.

Go slow and do not tow for to long at any one time. Make sure you have new clean oil in the engine and gear lube in the trans.

I know alot of who towed with the 2.3 turbo and never had problems. Be smart and take it slow, you should be fine.

Nick a turbo'd DX protege is a BIG difference from a Turbo Mazda 3 or an MSP....you are talking about towing 2300lbs with a 2400 lb car,it's just plain unsafe..DX has the smallest brakes on ANY 3rd gen,only about 9" rotors,regardless if the trailer has brakes, it still puts more stress on the car's brakes,he probably has bigger rims too,more stress on the brakes..these brakes were made for a light car with maybe 75whp,not a turbo'd beast on 17's towing a heavy boat,that's a job for a full size truck.....It also has a weaker transmission internally than an MSP or a Mazda 3...it's an F series, not a g-series

Advising this guy that it is ok is just plain BAD advice....Do you really wanna read about this kid getting in an accident because you told him it was ok ???

The only thing I would trust to tow with a Protege is maybe a jetski or motorcycle..not a f-ing 2300lb BOAT

All you need to do is crank up the boost to get power to pull the 2300lbs. Also make sure you're boosting in 5th while going uphill so that you are able to keep constant speed and keep up with traffic.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

Stormtrooper77 said:
All you need to do is crank up the boost to get power to pull the 2300lbs. Also make sure you're boosting in 5th while going uphill so that you are able to keep constant speed and keep up with traffic.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

I would try the other way. With load your EGTs will climb very fast and very high. That is the danger of towing with a small turbo4 and to much trailer.

MPNick said:
I would try the other way. With load your EGTs will climb very fast and very high. That is the danger of towing with a small turbo4 and to much trailer.

He was being sarcastic...It's known on MSP's or aftermarket Turbo 2.0L's boosting in 5th is BAD on the engine and tranny....good way to blow something up...

Here it is in plain simple english...towing a big boat with a small car is DANGEROUS...

Dangerous yes, Doable yes. Like I said, common sense. Expect half he braking, and poor emergency handling ability :) Stress on the drivetrain will depend on how you drive.

I've towed a 2 ton Cadilac (sp?) with an 88 Ford Ranger, which doesn't weigh that much. It also only had the 2.0 L, carburated engine, putting out roughtly 75 HP. It could barely keep 65 mph against the wind towing nothing but me, let alone a 2 ton Caddy. It sped up very slow, stopped slow, but worked fine. Plus the engine and tranny in that could take anything.

I didnt think about going over bumps and stuff. I see how it could potentially lift the back of the car off the ground.

The boat and trailer pull up on the back of the truck pretty good at highway speed over bumps.

Your welcome for the humor. I have plenty of stupid questions where that came from. Thanks.

It all depends on the road. If its a straight line, no climbing at all it should be fine, I think you can tow it in vacuum in top gear. Try boosting all time and heat in engine and transmission will become a problem. Brakes shouldnt be a problem, the trailer should have their own brakes. If it doesnt have it, dont do it.

Back