2002 P5 Auto Transmission Slipping

space said:
I have an 02 auto, got it new, the tranny at 30k started shifting hard and making this little very fant squeak sound, so i took it to the dealer and they reset the computer this went on for about 2-3 months. the forht month the service manager went on the drive with me and he herd it, they scoped me tranny couldnt find anything wrong so they got me a new one. and he said that the computer does "learn" your driving or excelleration patterns. hope this helps. now i am at 61k and no problem yet!
when you were getting the new tranny did they give you the option of a sport-tronic? I don't have a problem with the tranny except sometimes on curvy roads it would be nice to have the option for more spirited driving. BTW how much did the tranny cost, if you don't mind me asking?

ronin12 said:
when you were getting the new tranny did they give you the option of a sport-tronic? I don't have a problem with the tranny except sometimes on curvy roads it would be nice to have the option for more spirited driving. BTW how much did the tranny cost, if you don't mind me asking?
no, i was lucky after lots of fighting with them to get the service manager to ride and thank goodness he herd it but we were kinda yelling at each other so i was glad to get the one i have.

Mad Hatter said:
Was it under warranty? If not I'm curious as what they charged you. I have a how to, on how to completely flush the A/T, in the how to section. I switched to Amsoil synthetic. Anyhow, good luck!

Ah, well, it is under warranty, and luckily for me, i had an oil change with them a couple weeks ago. They are supposed to do a check of all belts/hoses/fluids on an oil change service, and they did document that they did do that.

And when i went back, they said i needed to do this service, and so i decided to let them do it, I paid about 100$ cdn for them to do this, and i have it documented that they did this as well. They didnt do it for free as it is supposed to be regular maintenance.

Tried some highway driving yesterday, it was slipping and shifting poorly at high speeds.

The problem still occurs, so i will bring it back to them to have a look at it. The technician drove it and they did not find a problem so i will drive it and show them the problem...

kold said:
Ah, well, it is under warranty, and luckily for me, i had an oil change with them a couple weeks ago. They are supposed to do a check of all belts/hoses/fluids on an oil change service, and they did document that they did do that.

And when i went back, they said i needed to do this service, and so i decided to let them do it, I paid about 100$ cdn for them to do this, and i have it documented that they did this as well. They didnt do it for free as it is supposed to be regular maintenance.

Tried some highway driving yesterday, it was slipping and shifting poorly at high speeds.

The problem still occurs, so i will bring it back to them to have a look at it. The technician drove it and they did not find a problem so i will drive it and show them the problem...
dont give up i didnt and it paid off for me just make sure you keep on'em about it

space said:
dont give up i didnt and it paid off for me just make sure you keep on'em about it

Yeah, i figure if the problem still exists, i will keep bugging them and wasting their man hours to get them to figure out the problem until they solve it.

kold said:
Yeah, i figure if the problem still exists, i will keep bugging them and wasting their man hours to get them to figure out the problem until they solve it.

So i brought it back in today, the car has lost gear 3 and 4...when trying to switch to 3 the engine just spins and the tranny slips. Bringing the car back to them in a day or so, where they are going to run some "diagnostics", which consist of some things that I dont know. Likely going to get a new transmission under warranty, unless they screw me out of warranty somehow.

Well I'm about to get a 2002 ES auto (non-sportauto) it has 56,000 miles on it & I love how it feels on the road. This is my daily driver and so I won't be accelerating aggressive with it at. Should I worry about it?

How do I check to see if "that car" has the orginal tranny or a new one? (would the dealership know? or Mazda USA keep track of it?

Charlie Neng Moua

my transmission was replaced before warranty expired but i'm having problem again...
no warranty...I don't know what to do...
do u guys know how much is the labor for replacing transmission?

my 02 p5 has that tranny squeak too, only on downshifts between 3rd and 2nd (i believe) pushin 70K on the odo. anyone figure out why it squeaks?

kold said:
So i brought it back in today, the car has lost gear 3 and 4...when trying to switch to 3 the engine just spins and the tranny slips. Bringing the car back to them in a day or so, where they are going to run some "diagnostics", which consist of some things that I dont know. Likely going to get a new transmission under warranty, unless they screw me out of warranty somehow.

so did they replaced your transmission?

ok I don't know about P5s but i did have a similar problem happen on my parents Kia Sedona van. It was not anything major that needed tranny replacement. It turned out to be a transmission speed sensor that was faulty. The car gets confused as to what speed it's traveling and ends up slamming in the wrong gear causing hesitation and hard shifts.

Rio Racer said:
ok I don't know about P5s but i did have a similar problem happen on my parents Kia Sedona van. It was not anything major that needed tranny replacement. It turned out to be a transmission speed sensor that was faulty. The car gets confused as to what speed it's traveling and ends up slamming in the wrong gear causing hesitation and hard shifts.

it would be nice if it's just sensor causing my problem...otherwise it will be alot of money...

My 02 auto P5 makes like a loud chirp/squek when shifting up from 2nd to 3rd, but only at certain rpms. I've never been able to figure out what it was so I just sorta ignore it.

Hi,

The end result was that the transmission was pretty much blown and they replaced it free of charge under warranty. It started as some faulty valves that were not controlling the shifts properly, and they didnt find the problem at first. Of course, I noticed it but it got worse until the transmission was not holding anymore. The pressure tests they put it through failed miserably. So they put in a new (rebuilt) one. The job would have cost $3000 cdn out of pocket.

I am finding out that I am having the same problem, shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear hesitation.....38500mi on my odo and I have only 11,000mi left on my warrenty. I am starting worry that they might have to replace the tranny as well. NOT GOOD!!

Back