2002 P5 Auto Transmission Slipping

kold

:
Protege5
Hey all,

I've never really noticed this problem before, it started happening today. What it is, is that when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear with the auto P5, it hesitiates and takes a long time to shift into, like it's slipping. When downshifting from 4th into 3rd, it is very rough. It makes a huge clunk sound and the car jerks as it shifts. The problem mostly occurs when shifting into 3rd.

I've checked the transmission fluid level, and it seems good, the consistency of it seems good as well. It is pinkish with a very very slight tint of brown in it. Mostly pink though. I also reset the ECU...

Luckily my car is under warranty so i plan on calling the dealership on Monday, but if anyone has any idea of what it might be or what I may try in the meantime, I'd like to hear it

Thanks all :)

So, I take it you got the 'sport-tronic' auto?

kold said:
Hey all,

I've never really noticed this problem before, it started happening today. What it is, is that when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear with the auto P5, it hesitiates and takes a long time to shift into, like it's slipping. When downshifting from 4th into 3rd, it is very rough. It makes a huge clunk sound and the car jerks as it shifts. The problem mostly occurs when shifting into 3rd.

I've checked the transmission fluid level, and it seems good, the consistency of it seems good as well. It is pinkish with a very very slight tint of brown in it. Mostly pink though. I also reset the ECU...

Luckily my car is under warranty so i plan on calling the dealership on Monday, but if anyone has any idea of what it might be or what I may try in the meantime, I'd like to hear it

Thanks all :)

No, it's just the regular one. 2002 did not come with sport tronic...I just keep track of what gear it's in as I am driving.

Mine is a 2002 that I bought in 2001.

Mine is a 2002 that I bought in 2001.

Happened to me twice...........in both cases I reset the ECU and drove around easy for two days and everything is fine.

I really think it is the damn ECU learning hard driving and then really F***** up things. Remember our transmission is almost all electronic.

But it could be TORQUE converter that is screwed.

But hey let us know.

Ah, I see. Well, i have reset the ECU so i will take it easy for a while. I will still see the dealership though as the car is still under warranty, so we'll see how it goes. I'll post an update if anything happens. But if anyone else has feedback it might be useful to us. Thanks

if it is still under warranty, take it to dealer.
I have 2002 auto too and my car couldn't go beyond 60miles. my OD light was blinking and I was really scared because I was in hwy.
however, dealer replaced whole transmission under warranty.

kold said:
No, it's just the regular one. 2002 did not come with sport tronic...I just keep track of what gear it's in as I am driving.

I have done searches and haven't found any answers, but does anyone know if the sport-tronic tranny will fit in the 2002's? I don't want to change to a manual(already have one) but would like to add a little variety to the driving. Thanks for any info (thumb)

Yea you could change it to the sport tronic but it wont be cheap. You will also have to get the ecu from the 03. If your gonna spend that much just do a manual swap.

Black_Protege_5 said:
Yea you could change it to the sport tronic but it wont be cheap. You will also have to get the ecu from the 03. If your gonna spend that much just do a manual swap.

won't be cheap like a couple of grand? or more?

The 2002.5s came with the sport tronic.

It's not worth it to do the change from regular auto to sport tronic auto. I rarely drive mine in st. There is a little lag between when you "shift" and when the car does...not much of a lag, but it's there. I got the st because it looked cooler than the regular auto and I didn't want a manual. Like Black_Protege_5 said, you may as well swap to manual if you're going through all that trouble.

gapeachsp5 said:
The 2002.5s came with the sport tronic.

It's not worth it to do the change from regular auto to sport tronic auto. I rarely drive mine in st. There is a little lag between when you "shift" and when the car does...not much of a lag, but it's there. I got the st because it looked cooler than the regular auto and I didn't want a manual. Like Black_Protege_5 said, you may as well swap to manual if you're going through all that trouble.

I guess I was hoping that it wouldn't be too much of a project, on a different note, nice car, do you have any close-ups of your headlights? Mine is red also and I have thought about blacking them out(undecided) also thought about taking off the roof rack so it was nice to get an idea what that would be like (thumb)

Mines been slipping for about 40K now. Never on the downshift, usually between 2nd and 3rd, and it's nothing routine. Some days it slips, some days it's fine. When it goes, it goes, it's been beat to hell!! I just turned 100K yesterday, so when it goes, its time for a manny swap:).

try resetting the computer. disconnect the battery for at least a minute then connect again...reprogram the car with the way you drive so it recognizes your driving behavior(s). good luck.

BeNegative said:
try resetting the computer. disconnect the battery for at least a minute then connect again...reprogram the car with the way you drive so it recognizes your driving behavior(s). good luck.

My ecu's been reset more times than you can imagine. Take a look at my mods, and factor in that I drive my car hard as hell. The only hope is a new tranny. But thanks for your help(thumb).

maybe it's time for a 5 speed...they can handle more abuse than an auto tranny can...just a thought. then again...u mentioned u did all sorts of stuff to your car. still, just a thought.

BeNegative said:
maybe it's time for a 5 speed...they can handle more abuse than an auto tranny can...just a thought. then again...u mentioned u did all sorts of stuff to your car. still, just a thought.

Mad Hatter said:
Mines been slipping for about 40K now. Never on the downshift, usually between 2nd and 3rd, and it's nothing routine. Some days it slips, some days it's fine. When it goes, it goes, it's been beat to hell!! I just turned 100K yesterday, so when it goes, its time for a manny swap:).

:)

Brought the car in today, had the AT fluid flushed and changed. It seems a little smoother but I will give it some time and update again later.

kold said:
Brought the car in today, had the AT fluid flushed and changed. It seems a little smoother but I will give it some time and update again later.

Was it under warranty? If not I'm curious as what they charged you. I have a how to, on how to completely flush the A/T, in the how to section. I switched to Amsoil synthetic. Anyhow, good luck!

new here!!

ronin12 said:
I have done searches and haven't found any answers, but does anyone know if the sport-tronic tranny will fit in the 2002's? I don't want to change to a manual(already have one) but would like to add a little variety to the driving. Thanks for any info (thumb)

I have an 02 auto, got it new, the tranny at 30k started shifting hard and making this little very fant squeak sound, so i took it to the dealer and they reset the computer this went on for about 2-3 months. the forht month the service manager went on the drive with me and he herd it, they scoped me tranny couldnt find anything wrong so they got me a new one. and he said that the computer does "learn" your driving or excelleration patterns. hope this helps. now i am at 61k and no problem yet!

kold said:
before they changed my tranny they made me pay for the tranny flush too! and mind was also doing the between 2nd and 3rd. but after the flush it started again with the squeak about a week later

Back