Quick question: Will a 215/60 R16 fit (How large is too large)

chronus377

:
MS3
Hi, sorry for the quick question, but I've been looking for a set of snow tires to replace my summer tires this season. I found a great deal on tires with steelies (which is exactly what I want), the only problem is I'm not sure if they will fit or not (they are 215/60 R16). I know the rims will fit, but the problem is the tire is about 1 1/4 inches taller, according to my calculations. I wanted to ask apon your great advice, since I'm not very expirenced with tire sizes, and I need to let the guy know if I'm interested soon.

Also, if you anyone knows for future reference... how large can the tires be without having trouble with rubbing? I don't mind having an off speedometer, as these are strickly for a couple of winter months.

I really appriciate any advice you have, I tried searching but didn't see any specific info I need.

Thanks!!!!

They will definately throw your speedo way off... it will read 10.5% too slow. Plus your handling will deteriorate significantly.

Thanks guys,

Mmmmmken: Never thought of my handling being effected by the tire difference, thats too bad. I think the speedometer won't bother me too much, since these are just for snow driving, and nothing proformance related.

02MazPro5: I wish I could choose the size, but these are a slighty used set of tires w/ rims that someone is selling.

So would you all NOT recommend them? I'm very concerned about them rubbing against my strut in the front, I just noticed how low those things hang. Its a very good deal for the rims/tires, and I've been looking all around for a set like them. But if they are going to be problematic, that I'll pass.

Thanks alot!

I think you'll be better off with a 15" steel wheel and something like a 195/50/15.

the 215 will fit but I didn't know you can go that size on 16x6. Sorry to thread jack but can a 225 fit on a 15x6. I thought even for a 215 you need a minimum of 7.

Yeah, think about it... your tires are part of your suspension, as they are also a spring. A stiff sidewall, less spring, tighter suspension, stiffer ride. A larger sidewall, more spring, looser handling (more flex), but a softer ride.

I actually noticed a significant difference when I went from the original 195/50-16's to my current 205/50-16's. Wanted something better for winter, but I miss the feel of the old 195's!

In the spring I'm getting some 17" rims, and I'll probably do a 215/40-17 to get those stiff sidewalls back!
chronus377 said:
Thanks guys,

Mmmmmken: Never thought of my handling being effected by the tire difference, thats too bad. I think the speedometer won't bother me too much, since these are just for snow driving, and nothing proformance related.

Thanks alot!

Back