AFC-SplitSecond PSC1 Map Library

Cool Rainman, I hope all of us AFC owners can start pulling together and create some really good maps for everyone. We definetly need a good FMIC map to share.

DSMConvert said:
wow guys this thread is good...and has earned the nickname "AFC Bible" in many of the emails we receive for reference. With your guys permission I'm going to add all the maps thus far onto our site and also see about getting this stickied...hehe afterall I do pay vendor fees...on the maf relocation note is will indeed make you run anywhere from 1-3afrs leaner...for those of you asking about logging, lcruz has contacted me and we are working on a new afc that will have wide band o2 logging capabilities...I know you guys are chomping at the bit for these features and I wish we could do it safely overnight, but we want to make sure we get it right before releasing it to you guys. I'd much rather blow up a shop car than run the risk of damaging a customers...as we know more I'll keep everyone updated. And yes we are looking at possible ways to offer trade in upgrades for those who want the new units, but no promises on what will be determined as we still have to wait on final cost numbers before making any decisions...

To comment on the MAF relocation note: Do you think it would be ok to go ahead and reclocate the MAF along with installing a FMIC. It seems as if I am running rich still anyway, but I don't have a A/F gauge to exactly tell.

How exactly does the car end up running leaner with the MAF relocation combined with the AFC?

TenaciousB said:
To comment on the MAF relocation note: Do you think it would be ok to go ahead and reclocate the MAF along with installing a FMIC. It seems as if I am running rich still anyway, but I don't have a A/F gauge to exactly tell.

How exactly does the car end up running leaner with the MAF relocation combined with the AFC?

You iwll need to tune it at the dyno. Optionally, you can use the map that I created and is posted at the top of this thread. I explained this in another topic, please read here:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2185657#post2185657

Hope this helps.

i relocated my MAF and on the stock supermap i am running the "system too lean bank" check engine code. i'll be loading the FMIC map and i'll let everyone know how it goes.

Do you have a wideband? Let me know how it goes. I`m on the stock supermap and am running rich. I was thinking about relocating the MAF.

sickspeed94 said:
i relocated my MAF and on the stock supermap i am running the "system too lean bank" check engine code. i'll be loading the FMIC map and i'll let everyone know how it goes.

unfortunately i don't have a wideband, if i can find one at a good price i may be pickin one up with my tax returns. i think it'd be a good ide since i'm getting into air fuel tuning and what not. but before the CEL since i didn't know i was running lean, and really stompin on it. the throttle response with the MAF relocated + atmospheric BOV is AMAZING... now when i'm at high RPM and i let off the gas, the car just blows off and smoothely slows down, whereas before it would like buck to a stop. i dunno, it's well worth it as long as i can tune out the leanness.

edit* and yeah this is going to sound like a stupid question but i honesly don't know... do you still need a cat for a wideband o2 sensor? because i plan on going catless and that would suck to have to buy a high flow PLUS spend the money on a widebad PLUS the gauge.

Last edited:
dont worry about a cat, the wideband sensor needs to go before the cat. the stock MAZDASPEED Protege downpipe has a bung with just a bolt in it. this is a perfect place for a wideband 02 sensor. SO, when you change your exhaust system try and either get one with the bung or be prepared to get one welded in.

sickspeed94 said:
unfortunately i don't have a wideband, if i can find one at a good price i may be pickin one up with my tax returns. i think it'd be a good ide since i'm getting into air fuel tuning and what not. but before the CEL since i didn't know i was running lean, and really stompin on it. the throttle response with the MAF relocated + atmospheric BOV is AMAZING... now when i'm at high RPM and i let off the gas, the car just blows off and smoothely slows down, whereas before it would like buck to a stop. i dunno, it's well worth it as long as i can tune out the leanness.

edit* and yeah this is going to sound like a stupid question but i honesly don't know... do you still need a cat for a wideband o2 sensor? because i plan on going catless and that would suck to have to buy a high flow PLUS spend the money on a widebad PLUS the gauge.

sickspeed94 said:

Moving the MAF can lean you out a little but shouldn't have leaned you to the point that the ECU would notice. Especally since the AFC clamps the signal to prevent the ECU from learning around it. You may want to check your connections, I have a feeling one of your splices may be a little loose. When you moved the MAF did you reset the ECU?

After checking these out, you desperately need to get to a dyno. The operator can install his/her WB and you can fix the SS Software in one sitting. Also , how is your boost? Is it shooting up and then staying flat or is it rising up and falling at all?

genius said:
Moving the MAF can lean you out a little but shouldn't have leaned you to the point that the ECU would notice. Especally since the AFC clamps the signal to prevent the ECU from learning around it. You may want to check your connections, I have a feeling one of your splices may be a little loose. When you moved the MAF did you reset the ECU?

After checking these out, you desperately need to get to a dyno. The operator can install his/her WB and you can fix the SS Software in one sitting. Also , how is your boost? Is it shooting up and then staying flat or is it rising up and falling at all?

cel went away and the car still feels great. boost spikes slowly to like 9 and creeps back down to 8. i did reset the ECU and as soon as i have the cash i will be wideband tuning. i think my splices are tight but i'll check them out. either way i need tuning badly. i want this thing to rip!

sickspeed94 said:
cel went away and the car still feels great. boost spikes slowly to like 9 and creeps back down to 8. i did reset the ECU and as soon as i have the cash i will be wideband tuning. i think my splices are tight but i'll check them out. either way i need tuning badly. i want this thing to rip!

Since the CEL went away, I would gander that your ECU didn't reset. With the stock supermap, you are probably safe at 8 psi. When you get a chance, run a datalog and find out what the AFC reports as your boost. Those guages have been known to be inaccurate.

well the problem is that the MSP isn't completely stupid...so when you do a maf swap and dont adjust the afc, its too big of a difference to the ecu right off the bat from what its expecting to see. Almost all newer ECUs on the market have a preset learning time frame when they are reset, on MSPs it seems to be for the first 200-300 miles, on jeeps its 300, and on porsches its around 150ish. During this time the ecus have a preset bank of sensor readings they're expecting to get as sort of a ball park adjustment table. So if you ween it off those values and make it second guess itself everything is fine, but if its expecting a vw bug and you give it a Mac truck it knows something is going on. HOpefully that analogy makes a little bit of sense...on a side not big thanks to the mods who have now made this sticky!!!!

Hey guys, I came across Daedalus's photo thread and I'm now considering putting an exhaust cutout on my car.. problem is I don't know how the AFC will react to the fact of having a restrictive/non-restrictive exhaust on a flip of a switch... any toughts? Could it react badly or could I damage my engine by tuning it with the cutout wide open then rolling cutout closed?

I'm doing the same thing but when I flip the switch both the cut-out and the boost are going to change giving me the ability to run the same map just tune it diferently for the two boost settings.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a recommended map for my SS AFC with the following mods. Apex downpipe with HF cat, Greddy SP-2 Cat-back, Perrin SRI, NGK Iridium plugs and Magnecor plug wires. I have no idea what settings I need to be setting the AFC up with. The car currently has a Hallman Boost Controller which will be coming off shortly. (It was on the car when I bought it). I'm looking for better mid range and help with keeping the car breathing in the upper rpm range.

Dave Mac

Latest posts

Back