Gas tank only filling up halfway

I've had this happen on and off since I got the car but it was always really really rare. Recently however it has happened the last 2 times at the gas station. I usually fill up when the tank is almost empty and it will fill up to about halfway and then the pump will stop pumping as if the tank was full. Any idea of what might be doing this and how I can go about fixing it?

Uh, release the pump lever and try again? Some pumps just suck. Try not squeezing it all the way if it keeps doing it.

is your car running when this happens? meaning - is it running while you're filling her up?

Johnnybass said:
is your car running when this happens? meaning - is it running while you're filling her up?

It was when I tried to fill it up this morning. I'll try to pump the gas myself later on with the car off. I was just wondering if this was a more common thing.

to be honest, it happened to me about 3 times, and on all 3 occasions, i was in a hurry and didn't turn the car off...soooo, i think it may have something to do with that...if it happens again with the car off, then ya got me

let us know if it happens again though...i know i'm curious if thats the "real" reason my car did the same thing

Is the gauge reading half a tank or is it actually only putting in half as much as you would expect, or both?

I've had my gauge be weird before, hasn't happened recently though *knocks on wood*

Back