Scantool fun

viVid said:
Oh, and I assume these vehicles all use the ISO protocol?

2001 Volvo V70 T5
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
1995 Toyota MR2

Thanks!

ob2 came about in 96...

also this would be kinda pointless if you dont have a laptop am i understanding that right?

SkinnyJoint said:
also this would be kinda pointless if you dont have a laptop am i understanding that right?

Yes.

While you could haul a desktop out to your garage, or run a very long
serial cable out a window, that would only be useful for clearing the CEL and
reading the codes. You couldn't take measurements while the car was
running.

You don't need much cpu power in the laptop though. I use an old
PentiumII that's too gutless for most modern software but works fine
for this. Ask around at work or among your relatives and you may be
able to scavenge one for free or a pittance. People tend to stuff
their old laptops in a closet and forget about them when they buy
a new one. It's hard to throw a computer in the trash (it should
really go to a recycler, but I digress) when it cost $1500 new, even if its current value is zero.

Apparently there is software that lets some PDAs read a scantool but that's all I know on that front.

ProScan said:
(Sorry for the delay in responding, but my wife delivered our first child last week! As a side-note, I requested sponsorship info from Antoine and I will more than likely become a sponsor of this forum.)

I bought a G-Tech competition for $350 a couple years ago, and I NEVER got reliable results. I spent an entire night on the road, recalibrating, doing 1/4 mile pulls, over and over again, and kept getting crazy results. That is actually what prompted me to implement the dyno and track performance tools in ProScan. The track performance tool in ProScan is dead on accurate as long as you don't get heavy wheelspin. Estimating hp and tq from acceleration data is much more difficult due to the # of variables involved, but in my opinion ProScan does a much better job than the G-Tech. ProScan can accurately read vehicle speed and RPMs, it doesn't "sense" RPMs through the cigarette lighter voltage. Also, ProScan doesn't depend on the accelerometers being perfectly level throughout the course of the run.

The only reliable way to measure hp and tq is on a chassis dyno. However, ProScan does a much better job than all other acceleration-based estimators, and with no calibration headaches... just plug up and go! Oh, and don't forget that ProScan is the cheapest OBD-II analysis tool available. :)

I look forward to sponsoring this forum and providing you guys with great service and support and great discounts.

Thanks!
David Gore
David, using this scanner on the port all the time will it create problems with ECU or electrical system?
Also, I am pretty sure it will not work on Pocket PC. Right?
Thanks

Last edited:
wow, not expensive at all. I thought something like this would easily be in the $300 range.

David, could you tell us how quickly your product refreshes the data in the software? I have a tekmate Obd2 cable. Not only is it a slug connecting up (5-7 minutes to connect?!?!) but when refreshing data from the pcm, its quite slow, almost 3 seconds an update.

hmm this would be an excellent use for a carputer. I'm so tempted. I have tons of spare computers I'd just need to get a display and relocate my head unit.

I think I know what I might be buying as soon as the birthday money starts rolling in :p

Chilledboost said:
Will these work on the 2005 Ford F350 with the 6.0L power stroke

I'm sure if you get the full version it will. The website has a list of vehicles that it will work on. Check there just to make sure.

ProScan said:
The long term fuel trim value is based on the average deviation from ideal air/fuel ratio over a longer time. The short term fuel trim is based on a much shorter time.

Right, but if the none of the injectors are broken and combustion is normal in the cylinders the LT fuel trim should be zero. Over N seconds the ST fuel trim should average to zero. Not sure what N is but observationally the ST trim values do jump around very quickly, possibly indicating that the computer is changing them faster than the scantool can measure them.

So isn't the rate at which fuel is consumed, when measured over a long enough interval, just proportional to the integral of: 2 x VPP x RPM? The 2 because two cylinders fire per revolution and VPP is the volume of fuel per pulse. For constant RPM the formula works without requiring any integration.

I couldn't find VPP in the manual though. The flow rate for a fully and continuously open injector is 68-75ml/15s (01-14-27), but that's not the same thing as VPP, since it takes time for the injector to open each pulse.

pasadena_commut said:
Right, but if the none of the injectors are broken and combustion is normal in the cylinders the LT fuel trim should be zero. Over N seconds the ST fuel trim should average to zero. Not sure what N is but observationally the ST trim values do jump around very quickly, possibly indicating that the computer is changing them faster than the scantool can measure them.

So isn't the rate at which fuel is consumed, when measured over a long enough interval, just proportional to the integral of: 2 x VPP x RPM? The 2 because two cylinders fire per revolution and VPP is the volume of fuel per pulse. For constant RPM the formula works without requiring any integration.

I couldn't find VPP in the manual though. The flow rate for a fully and continuously open injector is 68-75ml/15s (01-14-27), but that's not the same thing as VPP, since it takes time for the injector to open each pulse.

[nerdlinger] What he said... [/nerdlinger]

Hey guys,
Sorry that I haven't had a chance to drop by this forum in a while. We recently moved our home and offices, and I haven't had much spare time lately.

I just wanted to update you all and let you know that we released ProScan 4.0 back in late March to take full advantage of the new ELM327 hardware. However, due to our move, we didn't get the website and documentation updated until just recently. So if you are interested in ProScan's latest capabilities, I recommend that you visit our web site and click on the "User's Manual" link in the sidebar. The User's Manual for 4.0 was just released the other day, and it is very detailed.

We have also hired additional support staff to help answer customer questions within 24 hours. And we now carry hardware inventory, so our orders are shipping in a very timely fashion. And finally, our sale price still remains at $149.99 for our universal kit, and if you put "msprotege discount" in the note section of your payment, we'll refund $5! We guarantee you won't find a better deal elsewhere, especially with free software upgrades for life!

Oh, and we have a LOT of BIG plans in the works. Stay tuned... ;)

Thank you,
David Gore
Developer of ProScan
http://www.MyScanTool.com

ProScan said:
I just wanted to update you all and let you know that we released ProScan 4.0 back in late March

Right, and the new communications set up in 4.0 works much better than the versions in 2 or 3 did. With the earlier versions the program would sometimes have trouble "connecting" to the car, or would drop the connection. 4.0 has been much more reliable, in fact, I've not yet seen it fail to connect or drop an existing connection. (I use the older Elm chip hardware.)

One thought for 4.1 or 5.0: while the program is collecting data it doesn't log it to a file. That doesn't happen until the end when you hit "SAVE". If the computer crashes or you just forget to save before logging out, too bad. It would be better (safer) if it logged results periodically (once a minute or something) and finished logging the rest of it on "STOP" or "EXIT". The data rate off the car's interface is pretty slow so it seems there should be plenty of time for the program to write the data to disk.

Back