Protege Tune Up Buying and Service Guide

So what is the recommended parts to replace on a 2.0 Protege when changing the timing belt?
I figured :

Timing belt
V/C gasket
Both pulley belts

Let me know if i'm missing something or forgetting to replace something.

timing

timing belt should be done at 96000 kms rec.They say replace water pump, just because everything is removed,save money later.Changing plugs made huge diference.

Ok I'm new at all of this, but I do know that I have to change my oxygen sensor. Any suggestions with that?!

1.5pro97 said:
Ok I'm new at all of this, but I do know that I have to change my oxygen sensor. Any suggestions with that?!

contact Ken at protegegarage.com, he can arrange oem parts for you.

Ya from what i heard he hooks us up and its alot cheaper then the dealership... then agian everything is alot cheaper then the dealership :)

Just a FYI. I never could find that link to the 30k or 60k package on protegegarage, so I emailed Ken.

This is what he said.

"i actually never had it listed though i really should!

here is what the kit consists of - waterpump, timing belt, oil filter, plugs and trans fluid (let me know which kind of trans you have). the coil packs are out of stock for the time being and not orderable from mazda. wires are $90 for a pair."

He didn't list the prices though, which is kind of weird.

Yeah but Ken is on it and if you really wanted to order it he could get you prices. I sent him an email about the ignition coils and he was quick to reply and very courteous.

Yes they are on back order nationally but if you call enough delearships you may find one or two.

I ended up getting a 1.8 ignition coil and wires and was able to minimize the amount of downtime.

On a side note. I have had platinum Autolite plugs in for 30K and they still look new. Not bad for settling for whatever was in stock at the time at Autozone.

Bijou, for the timing belt replacement you should also mention that the tensioner and idler should be replaced, as well as the water pump if you're near 100k miles.

Also replacing the cam seals isn't exactly standard when doing the timing belt, because it would require taking the cam gears off, and then you'd have to make sure the cams are still properly aligned with eachother (they won't be) when you get the gears back on. The crank seal is a good one to replace with the timing belt though.

Protegegarage.com carries a "timing belt kit" that uses all Dayco parts (not OEM but they seem fine?).. belt, tensioner, idler for 125ish I think. So then the only things you would need would be the OEM tensioner spring and the crank oil seal, both of which Ken could order for you. I don't know if he can source this or not but if you are doing the timing belt install yourself, you can save a lot of headache and buy a tool that jams between the two cam gears to hold them in position when you remove the belt.

A good writeup, I had always seen it stickied but never looked at it!

Last edited:
Captain KRM P5 said:
i just put a tune up package together for a member here so just let me know what components you want

Hello I have a 03 Protege 5 Sport Auto with 53,000 what do i need to do as far as maintenance ??? and tune up?

CX7 Florida said:
Hello I have a 03 Protege 5 Sport Auto with 53,000 what do i need to do as far as maintenance ??? and tune up?

50K-55K

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Check level </TD><TD width="55%">Coolant</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"></TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Change </TD><TD width="55%">Engine oil</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"></TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Hinges, locks & latches</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"></TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Check operation </TD><TD width="55%">Lighting</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"></TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Replace </TD><TD width="55%">Oil filter</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"></TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Check level </TD><TD width="55%">Power steering fluid</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Wheels & tires</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Check fluid level </TD><TD width="55%">Windshield washer</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Check operation </TD><TD width="55%">A/C compressor</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Check operation </TD><TD width="55%">Air conditioning system</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Replace </TD><TD width="55%">Air filter</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Change </TD><TD width="55%">Automatic transmission fluid</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Ball joints</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Body nuts & bolts</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Brake lines, hoses & connections</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Brake system</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Chassis nuts & bolts</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Check level </TD><TD width="55%">Coolant</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Cooling system</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Inspect boots & seals </TD><TD width="55%">Drive axles</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Drive belt(s)</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Emissions hoses & tubes</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Change </TD><TD width="55%">Engine oil</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Exhaust system heat shields</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Fuel lines & hoses</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Hinges, locks & latches</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Check </TD><TD width="55%">Idle speed</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Check operation </TD><TD width="55%">Lighting</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Replace </TD><TD width="55%">Oil filter</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Check level </TD><TD width="55%">Power steering fluid</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Replace </TD><TD width="55%">Spark plugs</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Steering</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Steering linkage</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Replace </TD><TD width="55%">Timing belt</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"></TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Valve clearance</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-five><TD width="25%">Inspect </TD><TD width="55%">Wheels & tires</TD><TD width="5%"></TD><TD align=right width="15%"> </TD></TR><TR class=stripe-four><TD width="25%">Check fluid level </TD><TD width="55%">Windshield washer
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/maintenance.do?step=step2&year=2003&make=Mazda&model=Protege5&style=4dr+Wagon+%282.0L+4cyl+5M%29&mileage=50000&engine=4INAG2.0&transmission=AUTOMATIC&zip=40219&synpartner=edmunds

I just got some autolite sparks plus. Does anyone have any reviews about them? should I take them back. They didn't have any Ngk and couldn't order them :(

I just got some autolite sparks plus. Does anyone have any reviews about them? should I take them back. They didn't have any Ngk and couldn't order them :(

Autolite are ok, but not great. I ran some for about six months until I got some NGK V Powers. The autolite seem to be alright but I found less hesitation with the NGK's.

Alright, I am just going to install them until I can get NGK, then I am going to switch. Or just take them back, but thanks!

Well I took back the Autolites because I don't know why and ended up getting Denso Double platinum. Does anybody know if they are good or horrible. Nobody has NGK V Power here :( Autozone or advanced. So I am just going to wait and order it from Online. But my car threw the cel for misfiring today so I really need to change my plugs tomorrow, already cleaned the Injectors today! 51k miles on stock plugs and they are bad now :(

Well I took back the Autolites because I don't know why and ended up getting Denso Double platinum. Does anybody know if they are good or horrible. Nobody has NGK V Power here :( Autozone or advanced. So I am just going to wait and order it from Online. But my car threw the cel for misfiring today so I really need to change my plugs tomorrow, already cleaned the Injectors today! 51k miles on stock plugs and they are bad now :(

I know you probably ordered it, but if not try to contact protegegarage for parts and they should have them and they have really good competitive price.

In the tune-up vein, silly question: How do you advance/retard ignition timing (if you can)? I see the scale by the pulley, I've got my inductive light, I know you need hot idle and jumper the test connector - which junction points?, is spec like 9 degrees before TDC?, but as for a distributor...how do they do it now?

Last edited:
Back