P5 Center Console in a '00 DX

subs for pics. by the thread title I thought this was a question and was gonna say it would need customizing. I should have looked who posted, hehe. nice job. I was looking into this a while back when redoing my interior.

gotta love the junkyard. I picked up a center console and MAP sensor with solenoid for 20 bucks yesterday.

Just curious, do you have any pics of the car with the console you replaced? My DX came with the armrest (a necessity!) and it's hard to picture the console without it.

Can you show some pics please? Also what size bolts and washers? I have a friend with a 00 protege who asked me if the swap is doable. I said it is, but I knew it needed modifications. So anymore info will help. Thanks

yeah i have the 00 protege es, im looking to see if i can put an 01 style center console in, me and siballa went over everything, only thing we see as being a problem would be the shift plate and the area around the cupholders if that is a direct fit or some custom work. I like the 01 center console better, i plan to basically make my car an 01' but she is a 00. Full interior conversion including steering wheel. and then go and see about this 5 lug. I got free time 2morrow im going to goto the local junkyard. seems alot of people been having alot of luck there. I wanna see what can be done

MikeyClutch said:
only thing we see as being a problem would be the shift plate and the area around the cupholders if that is a direct fit or some custom work.

think so , huh ??

that part fits fine...youll need a new shift boot probably

good luck with the ebrake !!

It's a b****!

SIBalla23 said:
Can you show some pics please? Also what size bolts and washers? I have a friend with a 00 protege who asked me if the swap is doable. I said it is, but I knew it needed modifications. So anymore info will help. Thanks

too dark for my camera,it sucks at low light

it'll have to wait for tomorrow

the bolts are M8 1.25

I got some long toggle bolts I think they were 60mm, and used a bigger size 3/8" coupling nut as a spacer...

the ebrake needs to sit about 1.5"-2" higher to fit

you'll also have to loosen the ebrake cable WAY up for it to fit

WHAT A TRAILBLAZER I AM !! (thumb)

Do you think it would work better if you got the e-brake handle ass'y from the other car? I have been wanting to do this for my gf's '99 ES so she will have decent cupholders, but she has a gray interior so I will have to look for a LX console.

TampaSport20 said:
FYI the cupholders on a p5 arent that much better, they just have a prettier cover

Unless you get a 2002.5+ one, then they have uncovered cupholders. I've never experienced the covered protege ones so I don't know if it's better or worse but the consensus on this forum seems to be that the newer design is better.

get a p5 e brake if you can... it look great but now you need a new shift knob.

Was the whole car at the yard?

SenorCorwin said:
get a p5 e brake if you can... it look great but now you need a new shift knob.

Was the whole car at the yard?

I would like to get the P5 ebrake now if I can...It;s not a u-pull-it yard though....

You are crazy about the knob though..I love it...MP3 shifter and knob...it's not like any old knob will fit anyways...different threads than other Mazda's

:note:

after looking at the 2002 FSM, the lever itself appears to be exactly the same as the 2000....I think perhaps the tunnel underneath it actually sits HIGHER in newer models......

Looks like for this to work on a 99-00 you HAVE to do it my way with the spacers

Last edited:
original boring center console for comparison, this is NOT my car though

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 187
Hey I can get some pics for you guys sometime.

EDIT: But I'm back home for winter break so I don't have a nice warm garage to do it in until I'm back up at school.

I still might do it if I get bored though.

Last edited:
looks good. too bad i didn't check out the interior of your car at the meet, I really want to do this to my car too.

Back