1.6 Shopping List

16Dohcslow

:
00 Protege DX
Hey guys, I've been havign a huge problem finding some basic s*** for my car, it seems not very many places (or which I have been looking) have what i need. I was wondering if someone could tell me where i could find this items for a reasonable prices

Exhaust Header
Cold Air Intake (AEM/Injen)
Performance Cam gears
Performance Cam shafts
INtake mainfold
Fuel injectors
throttle body spacer
And that's about it for now, I can only buy so much lol

Another question, I was wonderign what the 1.6 Protege red-lines at? I want to put a tacometer in but I don't know where to set the shift

16Dohcslow said:
Hey guys, I've been havign a huge problem finding some basic s*** for my car, it seems not very many places (or which I have been looking) have what i need. I was wondering if someone could tell me where i could find this items for a reasonable prices

Exhaust Header
Performance Cam gears
Performance Cam shafts
INtake mainfold
Fuel injectors
throttle body spacer

Another question, I was wonderign what the 1.6 Protege red-lines at? I want to put a tacometer in but I don't know where to set the shift

Try these sites:
Protege Garage
Corksport

Exhaust Header - thunder header GB going on now
Cold Air Intake (AEM/Injen) - ebay? or the other sites
Performance Cam gears - Rumor has it the 1.6 and 2.0 are the same so corksport or protege garage
Performance Cam shafts - Corksport can import them for you jdm is all we get.
INtake mainfold - port your own, or jdm works (corksport)
Fuel injectors - you dont need them, you should have plenty of leway to be NA
throttle body spacer - http://www.outlawengineering.com/ not sure if thell work might be the same as the 2.0 (not really important)

I would do more reading if I were you, and ready to spend this much. (JDM head gives svt and 30hp at the least, contact corksport) I also recomend going turbo, hiboost.

FYI, the Thunder header is the only one available for the 1.6L and I could really use a few more names on the list.
After the GB, they will still be available but not for the same price.

save all that money and call hiboost and get a turbo kit, your looking at spending a lot of money on those parts for the hp your going to gain its not worth it, hiboost is where its at ...

16Dohcslow said:

Exhaust Header
Performance Cam gears
Performance Cam shafts
INtake mainfold
Fuel injectors
throttle body spacer

But definately add your name to the GB list for the header. If we can get it to 10 people, we get a great price on it. Even more would be awesome!!

For the cam gears and shafts, you can check out srmotorsports.com for the gears and Corksport for the cam shafts. You have to have Derrick import the KL-VE cams (I think thats what they are) for you. Im kinda in the process of getting that done.

The intake manifold would be better if you had it ported/polished. Have it port matched to the Thunder Racing header you'll be buying for the optimal amount of HP.

I don't know what to tell you about the throttle body spacer. No one makes them for the 1.6 (as far as I know).

You can if you like, but you might want to look into boring out your throttle body as well. Maybe a couple mm or so. Probably like 2 or 3 mm. Anything more won't be as benefitial.

I hear good things about the thunder header.. as far as boost goes. I know it will be the most beneificial, btu I'm not looking for an insane amount of horsepower at the moment, but i would like to know where i could find semi-racing clutch... it seems liek the stock clutch rubs a little too much

The HiBoost kit isn't for you then if you're looking for insane amounts of HP. I suppose you could always get the kit and keep the boost levels at 4 or 5, but whats the fun in that? The Thunder Racing header so far has shown an increase of 8-9 HP on our engines. It could go and yield more depending on what else you have done to the car. Getting the port/polish of the IM as well will definately help with overall airflow and HP increases. I may be pushing the header a little, but its a great product. I personally saw the piece in person last night and its unbelievable. It looks top notch and even better, bolts right up to the head. No fitment issues at all. This would be a good start for you to build your HP.

As far as a good clutch, you can always check out ProtegeGarage.com or ACTclutch.com (I think thats what it is). I have an auto so I can't really go into detail with you about a full race or semi-race clutch, but I can point you in the right direction and all. Best of luck.

*Edit* Wow, just saw Im at 900 posts!! Thats awesome, I guess?? Maybe I spend too much time inside my apartment.... Well, yeah for me!

16Dohcslow said:
I hear good things about the thunder header.. as far as boost goes. I know it will be the most beneificial, btu I'm not looking for an insane amount of horsepower at the moment, but i would like to know where i could find semi-racing clutch... it seems liek the stock clutch rubs a little too much

Hey put me on that list for the thunder header, and someday I'll see if i can find someone to polish my intake manifold... protegegarage is a very helpful site btw

16Dohcslow said:
Hey put me on that list for the thunder header, and someday I'll see if i can find someone to polish my intake manifold... protegegarage is a very helpful site btw

You're now on the list for the Thunder Racing header. Depending on the number of people who get in on the GB, the price is going to be 285.00 shipped to our doors or something a bit higher (I think 325.00) if the GB doesn't meet the number of required buyers. Right now, we're at 8 people.

If you can find a machine shop, they can port-n-polish (and port match as well) your intake manifold. If you decide to, you can have them bore out your TB as well. While you're at it, if you have the money to, you get a nice angle valve job done on your head too. Not sure what to tell you as far as cost because each place is different, so look around.

If I get the money (and after getting my header) Im going to port match my IM to help with overall air flow. I want no restrictions whatsoever.

You might also want to look at the exhaust cut-out that QTP offers. That product alone will help with overall airflow and HP gains (though very little). But every bit helps though... The cutout is only 170 or 180 dollars (I think so don't hold me to that). From what I have seen, its a very nice piece and well worth its purchase price. Its one of the better cut-outs available out on the market.

16Dohcslow said:
I could polish it for you, I am new to this board but i polish valve covers, intake manifolds, and turbo compressor covers. Basically if there is something under your hoood you want shiny i can do it and for a good price. i will be polishing my dad's VC,IM, and T-stat housing by this weekend and i can get you pics if you want.( and im not some 16yr old kid experimenting. my dad asked me to come to Georgia to rebuild his engine and im doing this in the process because i am ocd.)

tnkopher1 said:
I could polish it for you, I am new to this board but i polish valve covers, intake manifolds, and turbo compressor covers. Basically if there is something under your hoood you want shiny i can do it and for a good price. i will be polishing my dad's VC,IM, and T-stat housing by this weekend and i can get you pics if you want.( and im not some 16yr old kid experimenting. my dad asked me to come to Georgia to rebuild his engine and im doing this in the process because i am ocd.)

post some pics of your work

the thunder headers you guys are talking about?

Attachments

• IMG_0405.JPG
    IMG_0405.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 300
I did some research about P-n-P of the IM, and head. Plus port matching the Exhaust mani as well. I called Engine Lab of Tampa and got a quote of 980 dollars plus change for a 3 angle valve job, P-n-P of the Intake and Exhaust manis, Port match the exhaust manifold. But I was recommended to go to another shop to get my TB bored out because they don't do that kind of work. But is 980.00 a good price for that amount of work?

Also, wanted to know how long something like that takes, as far as time goes? Is it a couple of hours job or something along the lines of a day or so? Has anyone got this type of work done and really felt a performance boost?

Back