new setup what ya think??

i had 2 15" kickers sold them like a yr ago almost been dying for a system so i'm going to buy myself a little xmas present. let me know what you guys think of the setup i was planning? also if you guys could provide pics of custom fiberglass enclosures that have two subs trying to get an idea of how to design one in the hatch..

system setup:
2 12" infinity kappa 12.1d powered by power acoustik ts 1920-2
Number of Channels 2
RMS Power (4 ohms) 370 watts x 2 chan.
RMS Power (2 ohms) 440 watts x 2 chan.
RMS Power (1 ohm) Not Stable
Bridged RMS Power 800 watts x 1 chan.
Peak Power Output 960 watts
Min. Impedance Unbridged 2 ohms
Min. Impedance Bridged 4 ohm
THD @ Rated RMS Power <0.02%
Speaker Level Inputs Yes
Amp Preamp Outputs Yes - 1 Pair
Built-in Crossover Yes
High-Pass Crossover 40 Hz - 250 Hz
Low-Pass Crossover 40 Hz - 250 Hz
Signal-to-Noise Ratio >98 dB
Channel Separation >55 dB
Bass Boost 0 - 18 dB
Bass/Gain Remote Yes
Fan Cooled N/A
Fuse Rating 35A x 3
Warranty 1 - year manufacturer's warranty
all the side speakers and the tweeters will be infinity reference and will be connected to the stock head unit which is panasonic but may get an amp for them depending on how they sound. any opinions are appreciated.

So you want to run 880 watts of bass...and 17watts of everything else?

The subs are OK, the amp is alright (i would never buy one), but this just doesn't add up to a system unless SPL competition is your thing.

Well I can tell you first hand that the 12 kapas need more bass then what they say they do. I'm running the 12 infi referance with 300 rms @ 2ohms per ch and they can and have taken full volume on many occations. And the referance subs are not as good as the Kappas. I would run at least 300 rms to each sub. And then make sure the amp can handle it with out shutting down. But those subs are nice IMO!

OH and as far as sound quality on the other speakers. If you look at my sig you'll see I also run the infinity ref in the front but kappas in the back. I don't think you'll get the sound out of them with out an amp.

Umm...

The Reference 12"s are rated for 300w RMS so you are powering them correctly.

The Kappa 12.1d is rated for 350w RMS and he will be powering them with an 800w amplifier. 800/2 = 400 per subwoofer. That is at least 300w and the amp can handle a 4ohm bridged load without shutting down.

So there is no problem with his choice of subwoofers or amps. The problem I see is that he is planning a pretty elaborate system (based on other posts) that will use head unit power for the rest of the speakers.

chuyler1 said:
Umm...

The problem I see is that he is planning a pretty elaborate system (based on other posts) that will use head unit power for the rest of the speakers.

Ghetto

its only temporary till i get more $$$. what amp do you guys think would push the side speakers good?? planning to use all infinity reference including tweeters

Something that puts out around 100x2 will be necessary to keep up with 800 watts of bass. I would buy a matching Power Acoustik amp and incorporate both into an amp rack at the same time.

chuyler1 said:
Something that puts out around 100x2 will be necessary to keep up with 800 watts of bass. I would buy a matching Power Acoustik amp and incorporate both into an amp rack at the same time.
ok that makes me feel better; I have 2x100 running to my front comps and 2 kicker comp VR 12" are in the mail and they will be running 400w rms each. My first car subwoofer setup (but I used to have big home theater subs so I know what I'm doing)

75-125 watts is really all you need for your front stage. If you're looking to put more power into a set of components the next step beyond that would be to bi-amp them...give the woofer 100w and the tweeter 50w and then you have more control over gains, crossover settings, and time alignment (if your head unit has that feature).

Latest posts

Back