CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Rear doors won't shut!!

2006 Mazda 5 Spt MT

Angry HELP!! Rear doors won't shut!!

Got home from the store 20 minutes ago, and the sliding doors on my 5 won't shut, they just bounce off the latch. seems like the latch was stuck in the wrong position. I opened the other one to see what position that one was in, and now neither one will shut!
    Anyone ever experience this???

Registered Member
    Donated: $10

2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom_5
    Got home from the store 20 minutes ago, and the sliding doors on my 5 won't shut, they just bounce off the latch. seems like the latch was stuck in the wrong position. I opened the other one to see what position that one was in, and now neither one will shut!
    Anyone ever experience this???
    Did you try playing with the power door locks. Maybe the selenoid is stuck. Both doors having the issue seems odd though. Are the child-proof locks enabled? Also try disconnecting the engative side of the battery and see if it resets the locks.

My doors have been working flawlessly. A big deal since many first generation sliding doors like those on the Honda Odessey and Nissan Van have issues.

10 Mazda5 GT AT, 10 Mazda3S GB GT 6SPD

It happened to me on a freezing cold day after it sat, im thinking water may have frozen and messed it up. I played with the rubber bumpers and fingered around with it and they shut and never did it again.

I dream of a engine swap and a rwd conversion just to mess with people...then again I dream of banging chicks in the 89 batmobile. ;P

OG Mazda5

Quote Originally Posted by fam
    It happened to me on a freezing cold day after it sat, im thinking water may have frozen and messed it up. I played with the rubber bumpers and fingered around with it and they shut and never did it again.
    Same here. At teh backside of the door you can see the "bear claw" thingy that actually latches the door shut. I took a pen and ran it through the 'fingers' of the 'claw' and moved them...they had a little bit of ice on them which must have made them stick open or something. Any ways, I ran the pen through, pulled the interior handle, then slid the door forward and it latched up fine.

I'll snap a pic of what I'm talking about and post it up in a bit.

2006 Mazda 5 Spt MT

thanks for thr replies.
    i got the passenger side to close.
    i pushed the latch mechanism down to simulate like it had hit the striker and was holding the door shut, pulled the outside handle, pushed the door shut, and it latched.
    i was pumped.
    so then i tried the same thing with the driver's side door, and nothing works.
    i'll keep messing with the power locks. and try the interior handle instead of the exterior. in the mean time i'm thawing out my beater to drive to work tomorrow just in case

thanks again.
    Andy

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by the_saint
    Same here. At teh backside of the door you can see the "bear claw" thingy that actually latches the door shut. I took a pen and ran it through the 'fingers' of the 'claw' and moved them...they had a little bit of ice on them which must have made them stick open or something. Any ways, I ran the pen through, pulled the interior handle, then slid the door forward and it latched up fine.

I'll snap a pic of what I'm talking about and post it up in a bit.

Ahhh, Ice. We garage both our cars so that maybe the difference.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio DiMarco
    Ahhh, Ice. We garage both our cars so that maybe the difference.
    Phantom, where are you located?

2006 Mazda 5 Spt MT

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio DiMarco
    Phantom, where are you located?
    near Detroit.

OG Mazda5

Looks like you've got it under control. The driver's side might have more ice inside the mechanism . Maybe try hitting it with a blowdrier...just be careful for water.

Here's pics just to eliminate any confusion lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (65.9 KB, 347 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (54.2 KB, 292 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (41.4 KB, 360 views)
    Last edited by the_saint; 12-14-2005 at 12:28 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2006 Mazda 5 Spt MT

thanks for the pics.
    it's not THAT cold outside, but i did get the car washed today, so it could be ice.
    I'll try that blow dryer trick tomorrow.

06 Mazda5

We had that same problem this morning @ 6am. It was around 5 degrees last night. What I don't understand is that the doors didn't freeze shut, but neither door would close. I tried some lock deicer and the door closed after another 4 or 5 tries.
    Hopefully I'll be living in a warmer climate next year, but Mazda needs to come up with a resolution to this. Maybe water shields around the latches inside the door. The first weekend we had the 5, I couldn't even get in the car because the driver's door was frozen locked. Now this. Especially irritating because the car seats are in there. What happens in an emergency and I can't get the doors shut?

Registered Member

Mazda 6 Touring/Nav 5sp

My 5 is at the dealer right now.

We have had several instances of the rear doors not being able to shut. I brought it to the dealer and they greased the doors one time and sprayed silicon another. Now they are taking the doors apart to look at the lock mechanism.

So now we are driving around in an F-150 for a few days while they try to figure it out.

They tried to say it was my washing the car (which I admit I do way to often) but if I cant wash it all winter then the car really wont work for me.

I will let you all know what they come up with.

2006 Mazda 5 Sport

Guys
    I had the same problem after the first snow storm here. I touched the mechanism and gave it one final try and it closed. The people in my car pool are getting sick of my new car! Is there any chemical de-icer that someone could recommend?

OG Mazda5

I don't know if you'd want to use a de-icer per se. The chemicals in it might wash the lube off of the latch/lock mechanism causing more headaches. I do not have an answer for you, but you might look into different lubricants and see if any will help keep the water away from the mechanism while NOT attracting dirt.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

10 Mazda5 GT AT, 10 Mazda3S GB GT 6SPD

Im thinking covering it with ball bearing grease would do it. Its be a hell of a mess, but itd work :-)

Mazda you had better be reading these boards so you can get these doors taken care of during our oil changes or something so you wont have to pay millions in rental car fees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast