Image Dynamic Q.

Mark-MsP

:
2002 Ford Supercrew larait.
The Image Dynamic IDQ12 v2 is rated at 350 rms. Would I nuke the sub running it at 500 watts rms? I have two of them in a sealed box and have an m500 alpine mono running both and would like to get another and run them inpedendantly.

Mark-MsP said:
The Image Dynamic IDQ12 v2 is rated at 350 rms. Would I nuke the sub running it at 500 watts rms? I have two of them in a sealed box and have an m500 alpine mono running both and would like to get another and run them inpedendantly.

That really all depends on your setup. This may be a bit confusing...

I am assuming that the v2 stands for dual voice coil. I am also assuming that your amp is running 500 watts rms mono at 4 ohms. If this is correct, and you are running 2 on one amp, then I'm willing to bet that your 12's are dual 4 ohm.

There are two impedences that you can run a single dual 4 ohm subwoofer, determined by how it is wired. You can run each sub at 8 ohm or 2 ohm. Since you are running 2 subs, I'm willing to bet that they are run at 8 ohm. This means that when you bridge your amp mono and run these speakers, there will be a 4 ohm load overall, pushing 500 rms split between the subs.

Now, that being said, if you run the subs to separate amps, there would be no way to achieve a 4 ohm load and utilize all voice coils. It could only be 2 ohm or 8 ohm. I'm pretty sure that your amp is not 2 ohm stable when run mono. This means that you would have to run each sub at 8 ohms. At 8 ohms, your amp will not produce 500 watts rms. It will be considerably lower . At 2 ohm the amp would be producing more than 500 watts rms, definitely overpowering your sub. Also, if the amp is not 2 ohm stable, you will probably fry the amp(s) and sub(s).

If I were you and I wanted more power, I would just sell your amp and get a bigger one. An amp that produces 700 watts rms when run 4 ohm mono would give you the power you are looking for (about 100 more watts per sub). Not to mention it would probably end up cheaper after you sell the amp you are currently using.

I hope this helps. If you have questions you can PM me.

MoJoe is incorrect and dirtysouth made an incorrect assumption about your amp but his logic still applies. The amp is rated 250w @ 4ohms or 500w @ 2ohms so keep that in mind.
First off, the IDQ should be able to handle 500w if it is in a sealed enclosure built to Image Dynamic's specifications. It will not handle 500w in a ported or bandpass box.

There are two models of the IDQ12 v2. One is a 2ohm DVC and the other is a 4ohm DVC. I am going to assume for now that you have the 2ohm DVC because with two of them you can run 8ohms, 2ohms, or 1/2ohm load. In order to get the most out of your current amp you would have to have them wired for 2ohms. If this sounds like greek to you then you probably wired them incorrectly. If that is the case, please read the following tutorial and come back when you can tell us exactly what model you have and how you have your system wired.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161

If you know for a fact that you have the dual 2ohm version of the IDQs and you have them wired for 2ohms, I have some bad news. If you bought a second m500 you wouldn't get any more power to your subs. When connecting two subs to your amp you can get the optimal 2ohm load. When connecting just one you only get a 4ohm load. This means the m500 output will drop from 500w to 250w.

So if you confirm that you have the IDQv2 2ohm DVC subs, the only options you have at this point are:

1) Toss the m500 and buy an m1000 or equivalent monoblock 1000w amplifier.

2) Buy a second m500 and two new subs that are 4ohm DVC (so each one can be wired for 2ohms).

My bad, I didn't know the specs of the amp or the impedence of the subs. If you are running 500 watts rms to 2 subs at a 2 ohm load, then chuler1 is correct.

Either way, chuler1 and I both agree that you should make sure that you have everything wired correctly and if you do, then you should just get a bigger amp instead of running 2 amps.

Last edited:
Yeah they're 2ohm wired at 2 ohm on a mono block. I found today that the amp is acctually now fried. Fun. I'm looking at an alpine m1000 I guess...

Any suggestions on what kinda amp would be best for the money?

2 Subs btw.

Something that puts out between 700-1000w RMS @ 2ohms. This is almost certainly going to be a monoblock amp because most 2-ch amplifiers cannot handle 2ohms bridged (essentially 1ohm per channel).

Here are my suggestions, in order of preference:

JL Audio 1000/1 *
DLS Ultimate A6 * +
JL Audio e1800D *
Alpine M1000
MTX TA7801 +

* must be purchased from an authorized vendor (aka brick and mortar store)
+ are 1ohm stable meaning you could upgrade your subs later and get even more power out of the amp.
http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTXTA7801

* + means mo money. Im broke lol and that m1000 is the only one outta that list without a * or +. Thanks for info man.

Stock MSP. Looking to go kappa or focal after xmas. Probobly run that off an eclipse amp.

If you still have the stock MSP amp you should use it to power your front speakers. It will hold you off until you can get something with more power. To match the power you will get from the Alpine amp you should be running at least 100w per channel to a set of 6.5" components.

Ok i didnt know someone said i was incorrect....he said RMS.....not peak or max....so that obviously means it was to powerful through his question....i would understand if the amp was peak power....Even if it was a dvc or svc it doesnt matter unless it is per coil. I use to work at circuit city and install, i know my s***...I have installed a countless number of setups as well as owned. a M500 is too much for a 12''type r and a m1000 is just ******* retarded for a person with a 350 watt speaker....if your looking for a excellent amp for a setup like yours consider the alpine m350 mono....Anyway...doesnt matter who makes it...mmats, jl, alpine...esp if your amp outputs peak power at 4 ohms. if you have a 4 ohm dvc running to this amp you have too much power (from the facts i see) and you will burn your voice coils....you would have to leave it wired for 8....he never stated the facts on the amp...i gave him a common sense answer from use audio geeks....

chuyler1 said:
MoJoe is incorrect and dirtysouth made an incorrect assumption about your amp but his logic still applies. The amp is rated 250w @ 4ohms or 500w @ 2ohms so keep that in mind.
First off, the IDQ should be able to handle 500w if it is in a sealed enclosure built to Image Dynamic's specifications. It will not handle 500w in a ported or bandpass box.

There are two models of the IDQ12 v2. One is a 2ohm DVC and the other is a 4ohm DVC. I am going to assume for now that you have the 2ohm DVC because with two of them you can run 8ohms, 2ohms, or 1/2ohm load. In order to get the most out of your current amp you would have to have them wired for 2ohms. If this sounds like greek to you then you probably wired them incorrectly. If that is the case, please read the following tutorial and come back when you can tell us exactly what model you have and how you have your system wired.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161

If you know for a fact that you have the dual 2ohm version of the IDQs and you have them wired for 2ohms, I have some bad news. If you bought a second m500 you wouldn't get any more power to your subs. When connecting two subs to your amp you can get the optimal 2ohm load. When connecting just one you only get a 4ohm load. This means the m500 output will drop from 500w to 250w.

So if you confirm that you have the IDQv2 2ohm DVC subs, the only options you have at this point are:

1) Toss the m500 and buy an m1000 or equivalent monoblock 1000w amplifier.

2) Buy a second m500 and two new subs that are 4ohm DVC (so each one can be wired for 2ohms).

btw i mentioned this before, but for people interested in alpine go to ikesound.com.....he has some excellent prices and shipping is reasonable....peace

oh s*** i didnt see he had two....yea....go for the m500 or 1000...except the 1000 might be a little too much.....just get two m350s....you will be happy and it will cost no where near the amount of the 1000

MoJoeTCM said:
I use to work at circuit city and install, i know my s***
With all due respect...saying you were an installer for Circuit City doesn't give you rep points in my book...I'm inclined to think the opposite from my experiences with them...but I don't want to jump to conclusions. Yet you did miss the fact that we were in fact talking about RMS wattage and he had not one but two IDQ subwoofers....rendering the rest of your comments useless.

Again, telling us you know your s***...and actually knowing your s*** are two completely different things. You can start by reading the entire question, not just the first line.

Last edited:
rah blah blah....that is why i followed it with another quote stating my mistake dumb s***......and if anything i am not looking for rep points....if i were to get any it would be because of the website i listed....it has excellent deals on alpine products. I do know how to install and i understand the resistance change in speaker wiring, for most people do not along with the combination of personal installing experience. The facts were incorrect from thr beginning so i posted what was common sense, if members would post all necessary info from the beginning we wouldnt have disagreements like this.....not bashing, just saying i know what i am doing....

Sure that site has excellent deals...except they are not an authorized vendor for any of the products they sell. They do not honor the manufacturer's warranty and it is up to the descretion of their in-house technicians as to whether your item is broken and who's fault it was. They also reserve the right to require proof that you had it installed by a professional before honoring any claims. On top of that, you don't even know that you are getting an A-stock item. It could be a B-stock item that didn't pass alpine's QA for all you know. If you ask me...that is not worth the money you save. If you must buy online I would stick to the authorized vendors such as www.crutchfield.com.

And like I said before, it doesn't matter what you claim to know. If you don't read the entire post and do a little research about the products in question, your one word posts are not welcome here.

I'll admit that I did not know the power output of the m500. I have never owned one, but it only took a minute to bring up Alpine's website and get that information. I put that information together with the specifications on the IDQ subwoofer and came up with the conclusion that the m500 was under powering them and the m1000 would be a better option. Even in this post I did my research. I checked out that site you posted and read through their entire return policy. Have you ever read it?

Damn, I was just tryin' to help the guy out and so was chuyler1. I admit, I didn't look up any specs and made a wrong assumption. You don't see me getting all defensive.

Circut City installer lol. Humor. Yeah I dunno, I gotta take it one step at a time and since my amp just blew i think I'm gunna re-up with 2x power. And no, I gave that amp away a while ago...

MoJoeTCM said:
oh s*** i didnt see he had two....yea....go for the m500 or 1000...except the 1000 might be a little too much.....just get two m350s....you will be happy and it will cost no where near the amount of the 1000

Basically, what said above makes me not want to read anything you ever post again. Everything about this statement above is in fact false. Please. Have. Knowledge. Then. Post.

Back