Automatic trans?

Kagymp5

Alright.... if anyone with an auto p5 could go underneath their car and on the trans right above a support brace tell me if there is a plug or something covering a hole about the size of a box of altoids (boom08) .
Ill try to post of pic of what im talking about. When the car is running it just spews oil out of the hole in very very large amounts
HELP!!!!

I'd check mine, but I'd come out from under my car looking like a snowman...

Is it actual oil or tranny fluid (red color) that is leaking? Have you noticed any other problems at all?

it was a redish/brown but it is literly pouring from that hole. I started the car and just let it sit running for 3 seconds and there is about half a cup of the fluid sitting right underneath the hole im talking about.

ummm, you might wanna get that towed to a trans shop NOW

don't try to drive it if you're really seeing that much fluid gushing out of anything

All I can think of is the actual drain plug, which is right next to the crossmember. How come you spotted this? Looking under the car is not something most people usually do out of habit, and all I can say is that if it came out whilst you were driving, your tranny would be melted, so you are very lucky (if it is indeed your drain plug)

Also, don't run your engine at all until it is resolved. Not even when stationary.

Last edited:
I decided to look underneath the car after my mom got back from using it and there was a trail of oily s*** following her.. i got it up on car stands and its not the drain plug im talkign about its a big gapping hole on the trans if you look straight up you see a gear (boom01) and its a machined hole no rough edges etc..
Ill be towing the car to the dealershit sometime this week since i still think its under warantee(sp)

Good luck with your problem. My previous car ('96 Plymouth Breeze haha) blew the rear engine seal, which caused it to leak a similar amount of oil to your car. I got rid of it before it had any mechanical problems - other than dumping in a quart of oil a day.

Anyways, it sounds like you may have verified that it is indeed tranny fluid?

Can you take a few pictures? My car is garaged, and if you can give me some pictures to show me the area in question (zoomed out as well so I can get my bearings), I'll be glad to get some under the car pics for you.

Lord_Zath said:
Can you take a few pictures? My car is garaged, and if you can give me some pictures to show me the area in question (zoomed out as well so I can get my bearings), I'll be glad to get some under the car pics for you.
I will try to find the damn usb cable for the camera so i can load some pictures

Thanks. Depending on the weather, I may be able to take pictures tomorrow when I get back from school (I'd prefer not to have salty water dripping on me and my camera hehe).

Lord_Zath said:
Thanks. Depending on the weather, I may be able to take pictures tomorrow when I get back from school (I'd prefer not to have salty water dripping on me and my camera hehe).
haha i know what you mean

Hey Kagymp5,

Quick question for U. The hole that you are talking about, Is it in the support brace or are you see a machined hole in your trans? Because I just jacked up my car and took a look and the only hole I see is in the support brace itself that is the size your talking about. I will take a picture shorly and show you what I'm seeing on my car. Anyway, glad to hear you are still under warranty.

Last edited:
OK heres some pics Hope they will help out.

The 1st Pic is looking up thru the support brace with the hole the size you were talking about. Just above that, there is a cast hole in the trans casting but there is no plug or anything that goes in that hole.

The 2nd pic shows what I think you were talking about when you said you could see a gear.

The 3rd pic is just in there to give you some ref. as to where things are.
trans1.JPG

trans2.JPG

trans3.JPG

yeah! thats the hole. But when i start my car oil gushes the hell out of there... my dad says its prolly the engine seal or something like that ive been too busy taking stuff off the car for warranty work to remember

um...why can you see a gear? Is it SUPPOSED to be exposed? Anyone know why? That just doesn't seem very well engeneered....

aMaff said:
um...why can you see a gear? Is it SUPPOSED to be exposed? Anyone know why? That just doesn't seem very well engeneered....

That's the automatic's "flywheel" in a sense.

If oil is coming from that area, it's probably because it's collecting there and dripping. I'd check all seals around that area... is that near the oil pan?

Soo, that's not actually a cog that "matters," so to speak, in the transmission? As in, that wheel is never "engaged"?

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Lord_Zath
is that near the oil pan?
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hey Lord_Zath,

In the 3rd Pic, you can see the Oil Pan drain plug. Its on the other side of the Header/Mid-Pipe union. So the answer is NO.

Lord_Zath said:
That's the automatic's "flywheel" in a sense.

If oil is coming from that area, it's probably because it's collecting there and dripping. I'd check all seals around that area... is that near the oil pan?

Its not like little drips or anything its tons of oil it dumped atleast half a cup of oil in about 4 seconds of just idle (boom01) needless to say im gona tow it to the dealer

Back