rpm's change when clutch pedal is pressed???

If I understand correctly your car is idling at 1500rpm whether it's cold or not. And when you depress the clutch the idle drops to a normal range? If so take it in and get it checked out, something is wrong.

Ok I haven't driven my protege all day I'm going to go get groceries (yes, my exciting Friday nights at college) and I'll report back. My car might not get cold enough because it's always 70F in the garage.

When I pushed my clutch pedal in.. nothing, steady at like 1600-1700 RPMs. It's only when I let the clutch pedal back out that the RPMs drop, which makes sense.

Well I figured it out. The clutch safety switch is malfunctioning throwing a cel. It is p0705. So to the dealer I go to get a switch for it.

Well that was not the problem. The code is p0705 which reads (Trans Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input))???? The code is for an automatic but the car is a stick?????

2002silvP5 said:
Well that was not the problem. The code is p0705 which reads (Trans Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input))???? The code is for an automatic but the car is a stick?????

um wow. Wish I could help you out but that is just bizare!

Does it still do it after a ECU reset?

Thast F-ed, Im suprised people thought this was normal.

Normal Idle is 500rpm, at operating temp (When the car is warmed up) while warming up the revs are +1000rpm and drop to 500rpm as the car comes to temperature. If you turn the wheel the revswill jump to 750rpm for power stering. I dont have A/C but that too may cause the revs to go up, but only by 100-250rpm and at all times while A/C is on.

Its weird your getting a auto code on a Stick, if resetting the ECU dont work get the sensor replaced.

Back