rpm's change when clutch pedal is pressed???

Hey guys I was just wondering if this is normal or not. I have never noticed it before. The other night I was heading back to the house and started the car to let it warm up. I noticed the rpm's weren't dropping like they normally do. I pushed in the clutch and the rpm's dropped. When I let out of the clutch they went right back up. It idles at about 1500 rpm's without pushing in the clutch and when I push it in it idles at about 700-750 rpm's. What would be a possible cause for this if it is not normal??? Also it still did it after the car had warmed up so I know it wasn't because it was cold. (huh)

That's odd, I never noticed anything like that. But I'll have to try it today.

never noticed it either, I'm pretty sure mine stays up in the rev's (cold engine of course) when clutch is pressed.

Usually that's due to the decreased mass of the clutch plate, pressure plate clamping down onto the flywheel and rotating. When the clutch is released it take a little "weight" off the flywheel.

So does that mean that I may need a new clutch soon?? It has a new clutch that I put in it 25,000 miles ago. It doesn't slip or anything.

2002silvP5 said:
ok. it is just weird because I have never noticed it before. does anybody elses car do this????

I'll try to remember to check it later today when I go videotape beautiful parking lot snow drifting action.

I want that video. I want it now! Get to it! And post a link to it here ;)

FWD drift not so interesting, even in the snow. :p

RWD with worn Azenis in the snow, that that is "interesting".
That's why i ordered some all seasons today. :D

BTW, My old Acura, the P5 and the Miata all do this slightly. Normal function.

aMaff said:
I want that video. I want it now! Get to it! And post a link to it here ;)

It'll be later today (probably after dark) because I gotta wait for the parking lots on campus to clear out. I hope my friends aren't busy tonight so there can be more cars than last night when it was just me, a few WRXs, and a 240sx.

Don't hate on the reverse donuts :p

I probably should slap my summer tires on to make it more interesting, I'm sure Kumho Ecsta MXs would be hairier than Blizzak WS50s :p

ya, but u need SOME grip for controlability...and this is TOTALLY off topic lol. Like, not even CLOSE!

Okay, so when you say warm up, is your temp guage horizontal? When it gets cold, my rpms will not dip below a certain point until the car is fully warmed up and ready to go.

This is a normal condition. The pcm sees the clutch depressed by the clutch switch. It signals the IAC to allow more air into the engine to increase rpm. It does it for a number of reasons, easier take off, load conditions, temperature, etc.

I can understand that but the issue is when the clutch is pushed the rpms go down not up. It will idle at about 1500 rpm's until the clutch is pushed and then it idles at about 700-750rpm's (the normal idle speed).

2002silvP5 said:
I can understand that but the issue is when the clutch is pushed the rpms go down not up. It will idle at about 1500 rpm's until the clutch is pushed and then it idles at about 700-750rpm's (the normal idle speed).
ya, I tried mine and it toally doesn't drop that much. Maybe 100 revs, butnot 800...

Back