any way to increase my RPM ?

vyse12012

:
Protege5 2003
Hi guys,

I got a little question ... when I'm at idle and my car is warm, my rpm is always around 700 ... and I would like it to me around 900-1000 ....

beside de EGR valve . (it was replaced 5000 km ago), anything that I can do to make my car rev higher ?

Thanks !

vyse12012 said:
Hi guys,

I got a little question ... when I'm at idle and my car is warm, my rpm is always around 700 ... and I would like it to me around 900-1000 ....

beside de EGR valve . (it was replaced 5000 km ago), anything that I can do to make my car rev higher ?

Thanks !

unplug a vacuum line and then you'll get that sexy cam'ed car idle. (hah)

vyse12012 said:
so the car doesn't want to die when I move from a complete stop ... (deadhorse
Do you have a lightened flywheel or something?

I think the easier thing to do would be to learn to drive. Seriously, just give it a little more gas as you engage the clutch.

I'm with Peeps on this one. If your car is dying from a standstill, then you just need a little more practice with the clutch. Upping the idle speed won't do anything, aside from wasting gas.

Any don't worry about it. I've been dring a stick for nearly ten years now, and I still stall it now and again.

I just thought of something: is this your first stick?

ok this may sound dumb, but i havent even looked at my car since i bought it:(

my RX7 has a screw on the throttle body you could adjust, the TPS(throttle position sensor) to adjust the way the car idled, do we have that?

yeah but those of us who adjusted it noticed the ECU learns around it or something, eventually dropping our idles back down. if it's set high enough that the ecu can't compensate we throw a cel.

toucci said:
yeah but those of us who adjusted it noticed the ECU learns around it or something, eventually dropping our idles back down. if it's set high enough that the ecu can't compensate we throw a cel.

damn smart cars, they were way dumberer in 89 when my rx7 was made

Just zip strip the gas pedal rod to the firewall where it won't return all the way when lifting foot. Tighten zip strip to desired rpm & viola! No annoying ecu learning curve or cel to hassle with.

Like Miata's, I'd bet that to change the idle speed you have to insert a jumper wire (or paperclip) between two pints on the diagnostic box. On the Miata's it's the Ten and ground I think. This puts the car intoa simple mode where it doesn't use the computer to adjust anything. You then set the timing where you want it and also set the idle speed. This "zeroes" out the system and adjusts the baseline so from then on the computer adjusts it to that location.

As far as needing more idle to help you take off from a start I agree with everyone who says "learn how to drive". Not in a mean way but put very simply, you are not giving it enough gas when releasing the clutch, so the car stalls out or lugs really bad. You'll soon learn to give it the right amount of gas and clutch once your feet become sensitive to the feel.
Don't be afraid to "slip the clutch" or give it gas (for instance, to bring the revs up to 2500 rpm) and hold it, then sloooowwly release the clutch and you'll feel it slowly start to grab and take off. Ease off the clutch slowly at the same rate of speed until your foot is completely off the pedal. If the car starts bucking or you feel scared, push the clutch in and everything stops, no big deal, then try again.

Do this in an empty parking lot a bunch of times every morning until you are 100% confident. It's hard now but will get easier.

Good luck and leave the idle alone.

i12drivemyMP5 said:
Just zip strip the gas pedal rod to the firewall where it won't return all the way when lifting foot. Tighten zip strip to desired rpm & viola! No annoying ecu learning curve or cel to hassle with.

That'll be a nice way to wreck. (thumb)

People who cannot drive will wreck no matter what rpm the car idles at. BTW it wasn't a serious suggestion anyway. I will label jokes as such in the future so everyone will not believe everything they read........

Idle speed is preset at 750 to meet emissions requirements. If you check with any wrench, he'll tell you 750 is considered correct idle speed on all engines for emissions readings.

Obviously, if you're running modified cam timing, you may have a bit of a lope, but you still should be able to average 750; the computer will hold the engine to that, regardless, as has been already noted unless you take other steps as has also been noted.

As for launch, good thing you're not running a light FW...

Back