I inspected my brake rotor and...

:
2006 Mazda5 Touring
...I'm a bit concern.

Our M5 has less than 2k miles on her and the brakes are exceptional, so no whining here.

I was checking the tires and brake rotor for correct wear tonight when I noticed the finish/color on the rotors didn't look uniform. Although smooth to the touch mixed in with what I considered to be a normal rotor color were darker pigment streaks. I got an LED flashlight and took a really close-up look and to my surprise the the front rotors look really grainy and had little black pinholes throughout the entire finish. I had never seen a finish like this before so I checked my other cars and the oe Subaru and the other with a set of Brembos looked smooth, shiny and uniform in color.

I'm no metallurgist but I'm guessing the density of iron used could be considered "soft" if less than ideal pressure was applied when casting/forming the stock from which the rotors were cut, (kinda like the clarity of a diamond; more earth's pressure=less imperfections).

Also, engraged on the hubs were numbers and "FoMoCo Ate". I've always heard good things about Ate brake products which will be even more surprising if this is not normal.

I'm crossing my fingers brake fade, accellerated wear, warpage, or stress fractures don't become issues as the rotors wear. Your thoughts?

Simple: have your dealer look at it.

WhitewaterPearl said:
...I'm a bit concern.

Our M5 has less than 2k miles on her and the brakes are exceptional, so no whining here.

I was checking the tires and brake rotor for correct wear tonight when I noticed the finish/color on the rotors didn't look uniform. Although smooth to the touch mixed in with what I considered to be a normal rotor color were darker pigment streaks. I got an LED flashlight and took a really close-up look and to my surprise the the front rotors look really grainy and had little black pinholes throughout the entire finish. I had never seen a finish like this before so I checked my other cars and the oe Subaru and the other with a set of Brembos looked smooth, shiny and uniform in color.

I'm no metallurgist but I'm guessing the density of iron used could be considered "soft" if less than ideal pressure was applied when casting/forming the stock from which the rotors were cut, (kinda like the clarity of a diamond; more earth's pressure=less imperfections).

Also, engraged on the hubs were numbers and "FoMoCo Ate". I've always heard good things about Ate brake products which will be even more surprising if this is not normal.

I'm crossing my fingers brake fade, accellerated wear, warpage, or stress fractures don't become issues as the rotors wear. Your thoughts?

Have your dealer look at it. If they don't give you a good answer tell them your worried about safety and I'm sure they'll replace them under warranty.

My VW's rotors look the same (I think, based upon your discription). Performance has never been a problem, so I have never worried about it.

Back