pushing WRX 440cc's to the limit

:
'03.5 MSP(Yellow!)
Ok y'all, I've been doing some calculations on fuel delivery to investigate why I'm hitting 100% duty cycle at 6500rpm. I've figured out that I only need like a 150lph fuel pump to achieve 350bhp, so that's not it. I took a look at what my calculated injector size would be for this app, and found it to be 63#/hr! the WRX's are only ~42#/hr! so that's it. now, I'm not near 350bhp yet, so I don't need quite that much, but i will. Anyways, injector flow rates are calculated at standard fuel pressure, 3 bar (about 44.1psi). Now, it is common practice to increase fuel pressure to compensate for the size of your injector's virtual penis. assuming a completely linear increase in flow rate due to pressure, 4-bar would give me 580cc/min at 4 bar(58.8psi). The generally-accepted max pressure injectors can handle is 70psi, so I'm nowhere near that. but can the rail and fittings be pushed that hard? does anyone know? Also, does anyone have any data on how the WRX injectors react to pressure increase? perhaps a curve? that would be awesome. also, those of you who have put in adjustable pressure regulators and such, where did you run your fuel lines to? I have several -6AN fittings, and lots of -6 line to work with. Thanks for your help!
-Mateo

don't know, but subscribing so that I can learn something.

R

You could just go register, or browse the nasioc forum, and i bet you'd find your answer

injector flow rate with increased pressure is not a linear function. It is something more like flow rate is directly proportional to the square root of the fuel pressure. I have a book that gives a general equation for it. I can post it up when I get home.

To find the new FUEL FLOW rate after a fuel pressure change:

<CENTER>
formula-4.gif

</CENTER>http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm

are u running the injectors now? y dont u just turn the boost up till u run out and stop calculating

if you've got the blue subbie injectors you can cut them to flow somthing crasy like 880cc's. Search on NAISOC for the thread.

otherwise, i think the sti 550's fit in as well..

wow that's really friggin expensive! that's DEFINETLY not worth the sevice provided. damn. many thanks for that equation! it's just what I needed. now to install the regulator. Any thoughts on where to tap into the fuel system to include the regulator.

OH YEAH! I did read that you can make the blue wrx injectors flow a lot more. There was a whole thread about it here too a long while back.

nope, primaries only, by default. I could possibly wire it up to run secondaries, but it wouldn't be worth my while. Plus it'd be much easier to tune with just bigger flow rates.
-Mateo

eh there is something about the sti pink 550's that are not compatible on our cars...i dont remember off the top...ill find out.

hmm interesting. I'm probably not going to go with the 550's unless I need to. I'd rather adjust my fuel pressure. They are an option though. I thought maybe the electrical clips don't work? maybe that was it?
-Mateo

yellerandahalf said:
hmm interesting. I'm probably not going to go with the 550's unless I need to. I'd rather adjust my fuel pressure. They are an option though. I thought maybe the electrical clips don't work? maybe that was it?
-Mateo

I have pushed over 120psi on the fuel rail with no problems on stock injectors. Using the MSD HP Fuel Pump and a Vortech 12:1 @ 11psi of boost.

I ran 10psi for over a year without issues.

subscribing b/c i just traded parts for a set of wrx injectors and i need to know more about it, thanks for the info so far guys

Back