Catching the Next Wave: Will High-Tech Muscle Squeeze Sport Compacts?

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
<TABLE class=ImageBox><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=Caption>Today's return to muscle comes in many shapes and sizes, like the Unique Performance Stallion, above.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Catching the Next Wave: Will High-Tech Muscle Squeeze Sport Compacts?

BOB GRITZINGER and RICHARD S. CHANG
Published Date: 11/28/05
Sport compact tuners are taking over the world.

Thats the unmistakable conclusion you might reach after gazing upon miles of aisles of tricked-out tuner cars, over-the-top parts and wild accessories at the recent Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas.

1128n-bladwin2_a.jpg
Theres one problem: People with ears closest to the thrumming ground think youre wrong. They think the wave of sport compact tuning that washed over America in the past decade may have crested and is receding from its high water mark.

Yes, Honda is back. It is reclaiming lost ground with a new Civic that should help Honda secure it as the darling of the tuner world. But Volkswagen is in the mix, showing a full range of concept R tuner cars at SEMA, laying claim to its tuner birthright that predates the Japanese imports. Wasnt the Beetle Americas original tuner import?

But the distantand growingrumble that is drawing everyones attention is nothing less than the resurgence of modernized muscle cars.

At SEMA, the wild $427,000 Baldwin-Motion Camaro Super Coupe, above, represented the extreme side of this trend. But one does not make a trend: Plenty of other mainstream examples were on hand, such as the latest Shelby Mustangs from Unique Performance, and manufacturer entries such as the Pontiac GTO and Solstice, Ford Mustang and GT500, and Dodge Charger that signal a return to muscle.

1128n-gt500_d.jpg
Theres definitely a swing back to 60s-era muscle carswith todays technology, says Clay Dean, General Motors director of small and midsize car design. A SEMA veteran, Dean has been trend-spotting at the tuner show since 1985 and witnessed the rise of sport trucks, the return of street rods and the upsurge of sport compact tuners. Each trend is marked by a similar search for a brand identity that carries emotion and power, says Dean. The swing to 60s automotive icons is more of the same, he says.

People want to stand out, and their rediscovery of 60s muscle is a return to a time when brands were strongto when people knew what Chevy stood for, Dean says.

The trick, says trend spotter Rob Tregenza of Minneapolis-based Iconoculture, is to convince consumers to catch the wave, instead of pushing them into it. For North American automakers, steeped in selling in volume, cashing in on their natural advantage in muscle cars will depend on how well they emulate the sport compact manufacturers and supporting tuner companies of today.

Consumers want to go to nichethey want a mom and pop brand thats unique, Tregenza says.

Success for big automakers like GM may lie in establishing separate brands for enthusiasts, and giving brands free rein to create what the market demands. Performance-based entities, like GM Performance Division, Ford SVT and Chrysler Street and Racing Technology, may be seen as too cozy with the parent to win the battle for buyers.

The manufacturers are in, but do people buy itis it authentic? Iconocultures Tregenza asks.

1128n-solstic_c.jpg
Chrysler, with its tuner-friendly and affordable 300C, Dodge Magnum and Dodge Charger, and its wildly successful Hemi engine, may have a leg up on the competition when it comes to latching on to the muscle movement.

Ralph Gilles, designer of the 300, returned from SEMA and reported to his boss, Chrysler design chief Trevor Creed, that the show was loaded with tuned 300Cs and Chargers.

And we didnt pay for any of them, notes Creed, referring to the common industry practice of financing dollar cars for tuners. The trend is happening on its own, says Creed. People are saying, Youve given us the traditional American car backand its affordable.

Does the rise of muscle mean the end of sport compacts? Judging by the preponderance of the latter represented in SEMAs 2055 booths, along with the huge dollars all those tuner parts and accessories represent (a $31 billion industry) its more likely sport compacts will run side-by-side with muscle cars for the foreseeable future.

Jarod DeAnda, youth marketing manager for Meguiars, the voice of Formula Drift, and PR man for Gumball 3000, says were living in a mash-up culture, where consumers demand creative control over products. The result, notes Tregenza, is a youth culture that can mix and mash products before they even get into production.

1128n-dodgedaytona_b.jpg
Mash-up can best describe whats going on in the tuner world right now, says DeAnda. Its a mash-up of different global influences, from drifting and JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) styles to California tuning style to motorsports to hip-hop to skateboard culture to graffiti art. Its really all over the board right now, and young tuners are pulling from all sources.

Need proof? DeAndas drift car displayed at SEMA was painted by Kal Kustoms, a company known for airbrushing low riders and drag cars. Whats funny is [my car] offends the core drift dudes, says DeAnda, but if it was a single color like a gray, it would be JDM, which is funny.

source:http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103651

It's pretty simple...if they can get the GTO, Mustang, Charger, etc to reach 30mpg, and carve corners as well as going fast in a straight line......maybe.

but 30mpg isnt really in the mental realm of a typical muscle car buyer. and from what i've heard the solid axel in the mustang has kept pace with the 350z in the bendy stuff. i dunno, i've always been a fan of the muscle car. italians have their supercars, japanese have their pocket rockets, & americans have their cup holders and V8s.

I love the Baldwin-Motion Camaro Super Coupe. based on the 69 camaro. those things are guaranteed to run 10sec 1/4 mile. noice. all except price. I can do a lot better with a regular 69 camaro body and way less than $427k

priorities when i bought my car:
reliability
affordable (as in under 20K)
inexpencive insurance
safety
fun to drive
easy DIY maintenance
decent aftermarket toys

This is my economy car, this is the car i can afford to drive everyday. this is the car that i pay under $300 / month on insurance & car payment & maintenance. It is also the car i enjoy owning. I can't afford any of those cars. They are all labeled as a muscle / sports car so insurance will be insane. Instead i can take my P5 and make it what i want... a little work here and a little work there and it is the grocerey getter, the daily driver and a sports car, all in the budget of a student.

zoom-pixy-zoom said:
priorities when i bought my car:
reliability
affordable (as in under 20K)
inexpencive insurance
safety
fun to drive
easy DIY maintenance
decent aftermarket toys

This is my economy car, this is the car i can afford to drive everyday. this is the car that i pay under $300 / month on insurance & car payment & maintenance. It is also the car i enjoy owning. I can't afford any of those cars. They are all labeled as a muscle / sports car so insurance will be insane. Instead i can take my P5 and make it what i want... a little work here and a little work there and it is the grocerey getter, the daily driver and a sports car, all in the budget of a student.

Amen to that!!

Back