2.0L 4cyl (FS-ZE) engine swap???

h8tr729

:
2003 mazda protege5
Has anyone heard of this, i may be stupid and this is just the engine from the mazdaspeed protege but 170hp sounds good to me.? I found this at corksport.com (friday)

Its the jspec (japanese version) engine.

170hp is crank.
Its actually more like 130ish to the wheels so ive heard. Easier/cheaper to just turbo what you have.

Its the fs-de with different cams, intake manifold, higher compression pistions and maybe a few other minor things.

it will not make any more power than a stock protege motor on the american spec computer. the j spec computer is not plug and play

Captain KRM P5 said:
it will not make any more power than a stock protege motor on the american spec computer. the j spec computer is not plug and play

Will none of the american-spec computers enable the fs-ze's 130whp performance? Sorry, i had difficulty finding this info via search.

though i am also assuming that this has been explored before. pardon my noob'ness.

i would like to know this as well, i was interested in just doing the JDM swap from a msp, but if the parts are as simple as that then why not!

I had the motor in my car in 2002. (minus the intake manifold, and JDM ECU Computer). I only got 7 more HP than stock, and the piston rings failed on me. Swaping in the MSP motor (turbo too, cause without the turbo, the engine is the same as every other USDM 2.0) would be a better choice in my opinion.

You can "build" your own FS-ZE using

-FS-ZE exhaust cam
-FS-ZE intake cam
-FS-ZE pistons -high compression...10:1 me thinks
-FS-ZE intake manifold

This plus a standalone ECU and you'll be able to pull the power that this is made for....

Problem is that the US FS-DE ECU is not made for these parts and really can't "tune" the car to run properly...As shown by the blown rings in above posting....It is essential to have proper tuning to change the compression...and would be recommended if using the exhaust cam in conjuction with the intake cam...the intake cam alone is alright and the intake manifold is a nice addition, but very costly.

Basically, yes you can build it.....

Why did the cyclinder get scored??

You both know more about this engine than I do...Shouldn't have assumed the failure was due to tune....but a tune is necessary to get the engine running properly after adding these parts.

Last edited:
he got a bad motor from japan, simple as that
most likely the internals were rusted to hell and just making it run again ruined it

either way, the FS-ZE runs fine on the stock ECU, it's just that it still runs rich and the timing curve is not aggressive enough to release the potential of this engine... there's a few people who've done this swap and haven't had real problems with it running on the stock ECU except for not as much power as it should

Are there any other differences...big or small between the FS-ZE and the FS-DE besides,

intake and exhaust rods
pistons
intake manifold...

ProtoType5 said:
Are there any other differences...big or small between the FS-ZE and the FS-DE besides,

intake and exhaust rods
pistons
intake manifold...

I think it is just the cams, pistons (10.4:1), and intake manifold like you said plus the ECU. Although, I kinda wonder if it has the pre-cat like the USDM cars.

I guess it makes sense that it would run with the USDM ECU because many people have done JDM cams and pistons and such with their cars and have been disappointed in the outcome. Either way, go FI.

I found this pic that is supposed to be an FS-ZE. It looks like it uses a similar ignition setup as the 1.8L.

Last edited by a moderator:
hellcat said:
Doesn't the FS-ZE have a distributer rather than coil packs too?

according to a few sources I read that there are both one with and one without

Here is a cam for you to get started.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123660902

Whe I was activly researching a N/A build I came across these numbers from someplace. I can't remember where i found them but this is what I still want to do someday.

Valve Timing
Intake cam duration: 230 @ 0.003" 241 @ 0.003"
Intake cam opening: 2 BTDC 5 BTDC
Intake cam closing: 48 ABDC 56 ABDC
Intake cam lobe height: 43.700mm (1.7205") 43.700mm (1.7205")
Intake cam base circle: 35.052mm (1.380") 35.052mm (1.380")
Intake valve lift: 8.6487mm (0.3405") 8.6487mm (0.3405")

Exhaust cam duration: 230 @ 0.003" 241 @ 0.003"
Exhaust cam opening: 48 BBDC 55.5 BBDC
Exhaust cam close: 2 ATDC 5.5 ATDC
Exhaust cam lobe height: 43.225mm (1.7018") 43.700mm (1.7205")
Exhaust cam base circle: 35.052mm (1.380") 35.052mm (1.380")
Exhaust valve lift: 8.1737mm (0.3218") 8.6487mm (0.3405")
Valve overlap: 4 10.5

Last edited:
bradicus18 said:
according to a few sources I read that there are both one with and one without

your sources are wrong
the FS-ZE *only* came with coil packs

hey guys I just did the swap like yesterday (fs-ze) and my car is running fine well not really, on the stock ecu, and the JDM ecu is not a direct plug and play. Does anybody know how to wire one? I have one and I was told Im missing out on 20 hp because of it

The motors looks amazing and there is a definate increase across the whole power band, but you candefinate fell the need for some advance timing, and the rev limiter things a lil bs too, so any help would be greatly apreciated

Back