5 speed manual hesitation?

BTW I noticed this weekend when it was cold (around freezing) that the hesitation extends all the way up to third gear. I'll mention it to my friendly neighbourhood service manager next time I am in, but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

perfecto said:
BTW I noticed this weekend when it was cold (around freezing) that the hesitation extends all the way up to third gear. I'll mention it to my friendly neighbourhood service manager next time I am in, but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

I experience the same sort of cold start hesitation with my 3S and 5. I figure it's "cold" so...

It does go away once the needle rises above the "C"

I have also been more aware lately - thanks to everyone's comments and my 5 is doing all the same things - when its really cold (outside temp) the hesitation extends all the way to 3rd gear. I have noticed that its gone as soon as the engine temperature gauge moves above the 'C'.

Does anyone with an Automatic Transmission feel the same thing??

Bottom line is that its not abnormal. Although I find it odd, at least its not just mine doing this. Gotta love this forum. Thanks folks!!

I have yet to really feel any hesitation like you guys are talking about. (I have an auto) But I have experienced some shifting hesitation, like the car will be 'coasting' in 3rd and I'll lightly step on the gas to accelerate a little bit and the engine will rev up (still in 3rd) and then kinda 'bang' into gear (still 3rd) and then accelerate (without ever leaving third). This will happen, and I'll think "why didn't it just pop into 2nd to get up to speed?"
To me it feels like trying to accelerate from a stop with a manual in 2nd or 3rd gear...where you slip the clutch (alot) until you've got enough speed not fully engage it and not stall.
Does that make sense?

the_saint said:
I have yet to really feel any hesitation like you guys are talking about. (I have an auto) But I have experienced some shifting hesitation, like the car will be 'coasting' in 3rd and I'll lightly step on the gas to accelerate a little bit and the engine will rev up (still in 3rd) and then kinda 'bang' into gear (still 3rd) and then accelerate (without ever leaving third). This will happen, and I'll think "why didn't it just pop into 2nd to get up to speed?"
To me it feels like trying to accelerate from a stop with a manual in 2nd or 3rd gear...where you slip the clutch (alot) until you've got enough speed not fully engage it and not stall.
Does that make sense?

Yeah - that makes sense. When your auto is cold ie temperature gauge below the 'C' when you press the accelerator does the car up and go or do you feel it holding back?

I think I have my answer with this and I don't mean to dwell on the topic as it seems it is normal - although I just can't seem to get my head around this because its the first car I have ever driven that has this hesitation as 'normal'. (uhm)

mazdaFIVEmike said:
When your auto is cold ie temperature gauge below the 'C' when you press the accelerator does the car up and go or do you feel it holding back?
It seems to go fine, but then again, I drive like a grandma until it warms up.
But the shifting habits I was talking about happen when the temps are up to normal.

Back