Noise coming from Drivers Side Front!

Moggman

I just started noticing this a couple of weeks ago when it started getting cold outside. I live in an apartment complex, and in the mornings, when I go over the speed bumps, I hear this horrible (I would describe it as a scraping) sound from the front drivers side suspension. This only happens when the car is cold, so I think it is just the spring making noise when it flexes. I have an 03 Protege5, and I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Also, should I take it to the dealership and have it looked at? I'm afraid they will charge me a large amount of money and not find anything conclusive. If there is something wrong with the struts or the springs, that should be covered under warranty, right? Any help you guys can offer is much appreciated.

could be your sway bar bushings need grease. When the sway is rotating it makes a deep squeak/groan sound.
I just noticed it on mine, driver side as well.

You have to look for where the sway bar is clamped to the frame. Should be two points. These brackets should be undone (2 bolts) and the sway lowered. The bushing should come apart into two sections and slap grease in between the sections and reassemble. Can't really over grease them.

sound like a creaky old bedframe? yep, sway bar bushings. Mine rears started doing it last week. I tried to take them off to grease them, but apparantly Hulk Hogan is the guy who tightened them up, so I'm just going to put up with the racket until I get access to air tools.

I tried greasing what I thought are the bushings, and the sound went away for a couple weeks, but it is back now. I found it kind of odd, that the "bushings" are just rubber pieces that the sway bar goes through. Does anyone know of an aftermarket solution that is better than this?

Back