shifting issues

murph1379

So, wondering what you guys might think... I have a problem getting my shifter into gear, maybe once or twice a week. It's not a biiiig deal, just can't get it in for a couple seconds, then I try again, and I'm good. But it's really annoying, and really embarrassing when I'm in the middle of an intersection and everyone is going, and I'm not! It happens almost always from Neutral to 2nd gear, and worse when it's cold, but also happens when the car and air are warm.

I've had it into the dealer 3 times now for this, and they can never reproduce it, so the best they'll do is replace the tranny fluid. This last time they called mazda, and mazda told them to reset the ECU??? why the hell would that do anything?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Are the gears grinding? Could be the clutch also. I'm not sure but here's to a free bump. (bump)

murph1379 said:
So, wondering what you guys might think... I have a problem getting my shifter into gear, maybe once or twice a week. It's not a biiiig deal, just can't get it in for a couple seconds, then I try again, and I'm good. But it's really annoying, and really embarrassing when I'm in the middle of an intersection and everyone is going, and I'm not! It happens almost always from Neutral to 2nd gear, and worse when it's cold, but also happens when the car and air are warm.

I've had it into the dealer 3 times now for this, and they can never reproduce it, so the best they'll do is replace the tranny fluid. This last time they called mazda, and mazda told them to reset the ECU??? why the hell would that do anything?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
I had the same problem.
They told that was normal and maybe worn clutch.
I replaced the clutch and differential and same thing.
I think is our car that is made like that.
You have to be decisive when engaging gear and that's the way the cookie crumbles..

pretty sure thats normal... it happens... unless your driving a new honda any gearbox is gonna do that every once in awhile.

EcLites said:
CHeck the synchros. They might not be lining up or could be worn.

That's what it feels like to me. The dealer told me if it was the synchros I'd have problems every shift, not intermittently, but I don't know enough about transmissions to verify this. ?

daedalus said:
pretty sure thats normal... it happens... unless your driving a new honda any gearbox is gonna do that every once in awhile.

bummer. The only other manual I've owned was a civic, and it sure didn't do this!

/eyes the 06 civic si

murph1379 said:
Gee, thanks. Usually it's going from Neutral to 2nd (like 1st - N pause - 2nd) that's the most trouble.

An occasional difficult 1-2 shift, even with a pause in neutral, isn't really anything to worry about. The shifter on the Protege isn't all that great and it sometimes simply needs a little more elbow grease to get it into gear.

murph1379 said:
bummer. The only other manual I've owned was a civic, and it sure didn't do this!

/eyes the 06 civic si
I saw it at the SFla Auto show... It's a very nice car, but that engine looks like a PITA to work on. The back half is almost entirely under the dash.

jersey_emt said:
An occasional difficult 1-2 shift, even with a pause in neutral, isn't really anything to worry about. The shifter on the Protege isn't all that great and it sometimes simply needs a little more elbow grease to get it into gear.
Normal guys.
It is just the way it is.

Use some more elbow power.

my p5 did the same thing until y broke my tranny and it was a bad sincro any i had problems shifting from first gear to second gear when racing when i lowered the tranny i had a worn clutch also...anyways changed clutch and presure plate and put in 323 gtx pinions and now it shifts much better than stock, i always had problems shifting with the stock tranny

ya mine is hard some times getting into first i will have to release the clutch and try to put it into first agian its a pain in the ass when your in traffic

Back