I'm thinking about getting a high output alternator

Goldtaz1

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Guys,

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege' 5 and I was wondering if any of you could recommend a site/company that can successfully build a high output alternator for my car?

Not gonna happen. even if places list it, when you look into it further they'll say nogo. anything aftermarket will fry the ECU, I guess there's some who've bypassed the ECU but that throws outa whole extra bunch of problems.

Seriously man, sorry, but the answer's gonna be no. I PROMISE you. SEarch around a bit, and you'll see it's been kicked aorund over and over...

Just get well-grounded, and be prepared to deal with a bit of dimming... do NOT add a pile of capaciters as an already weak system will be drained eve faster when you throw those into teh mix.

all the way up to the sat. before my wreck i had been looking for a high output alt for my mp5

it. does. not. exist. and. it. won't. ever. exist.

best idea:
chuck another battery in the back right and a few farad of caps

NO extra battery and NONONO caps.... ALL of this will create extra drain on your system. go for efficiency. ground the hell out of everything. Actually more importantly, what amps are you planning on using?

Poseur said:
NO extra battery and NONONO caps.... ALL of this will create extra drain on your system. go for efficiency. ground the hell out of everything. Actually more importantly, what amps are you planning on using?

well, if the system is in excess of say 3-4k watts, a bank of batteries that get charged up every night would do the trick
biggthumpup.gif
but for that kind of money i'd rather get a 2nd alt and isolate it to the stereo system.

getting Helios HID lights solved all of my dimming problems. they have a built in voltage regulator, and draw less current than standard bulbs.

we'll see if it still works once the 300/4 goes in with the 500/5

got wake? said:
well, if the system is in excess of say 3-4k watts, a bank of batteries that get charged up every night would do the trick
biggthumpup.gif
but for that kind of money i'd rather get a 2nd alt and isolate it to the stereo system.

mine WAS gonna go over 3600w RMS, but sadly, i now have to change the whole idea of what i wanna do

the stock alt will do fine to charge up a second battery, and the caps will help to buffer the massive drain
granted, you aren't gonna be playing full volume 100% of the time, so a batt and 2 fard should do just fine and NOT "create additional drain" on the system that it can't handle

setup like this, it would be good for going into competition where max power isn't used for more than a minute or two at a time
for general use it's perfectly functional

the idea of simply adding a 2nd alt isn't impossible, but you might give up your a/c (kinda like puttng in a s/c - it's gotta go somewhere)
i dunno for sure about that though, i hadn't looked into it

keleko said:
mine WAS gonna go over 3600w RMS, but sadly, i now have to change the whole idea of what i wanna do

the stock alt will do fine to charge up a second battery, and the caps will help to buffer the massive drain
granted, you aren't gonna be playing full volume 100% of the time, so a batt and 2 fard should do just fine and NOT "create additional drain" on the system that it can't handle

setup like this, it would be good for going into competition where max power isn't used for more than a minute or two at a time
for general use it's perfectly functional

the idea of simply adding a 2nd alt isn't impossible, but you might give up your a/c (kinda like puttng in a s/c - it's gotta go somewhere)
i dunno for sure about that though, i hadn't looked into it

actually the stock alt won't do just fine to charge up a 2nd battery, certainly not capacitors on top of the 2nd battery. the 63 or 70 amp alts that 3rd gen proteges come with are not capable of maintaining 2 batteries and running a system. i know, i tried it. unless you have a good battery charger and don't mind giving the batteries a maintenance charge every night or so, i don't recomend using a dual battery system with a 3rd gen protege.

anything that does not create power is a load on the electrical system. there is no way around it. keep in mind that batteries require current just to maintain them, and capacitors are not 100% efficient either. both destroy/waste power just for the sake of storing it. but if you don't have enough on tap to store in them, what's the point?

got wake? said:
.... the 63 or 70 amp alts that 3rd gen proteges come with are not capable of maintaining 2 batteries and running a system. i know, i tried it. ...

you did? hmm...

well, my MP5 is dead now, i guess the point is moot to me, but good info for the rest of you

is there actually enough space under the hood to ADD an alt, w/o removing anything else?

keleko said:
you did? hmm...

well, my MP5 is dead now, i guess the point is moot to me, but good info for the rest of you

is there actually enough space under the hood to ADD an alt, w/o removing anything else?

i know on the 1.6L i had there was enough room. i'm not sure on the 1.8 or 2.0L engines, though.

Well, I sure do appreciate the help guys. I have e-mailed a couple of places I found to see if they'll attempt a custom build. I'll let you know how everything turns out.

Dude, honestly, it's been done... If you get someone who says yes, then cool, but it's really not gonna happen. I hate to be mr party pooper, but you've got a group of serious 12v junkies around here who are intimately familiar with these cars... We've been there, and tried that.

yeah, most places will tell you that they can do it, until they either A) research it and find out that the 2 part voltage regulator is a b**** to mess with and they can't do it, or B) they ask someone they work with who has checked on it before and tell you no they can't do it.

i want to run 3 500/1's to my 3 10w6's and a 300/4 for mids and highs. nathan at excessive amperage has told me he can do it? but you say it will kill my ecu? my only option that I heard is to charge my batteries every night?

so competing IDBL i can only run 1 extra battery and a 1f cap per amp? is this possible with out killing my car?

I want to train a small primate to ride a tiny bicycle in the hatch in order to charge my second battery. Anyone know any good monkey dealers?

sorry i couldn't restrain myself.

P5 2 ENVY said:
i want to run 3 500/1's to my 3 10w6's and a 300/4 for mids and highs. nathan at excessive amperage has told me he can do it? but you say it will kill my ecu? my only option that I heard is to charge my batteries every night?

so competing IDBL i can only run 1 extra battery and a 1f cap per amp? is this possible with out killing my car?

that's actually not that much power. check out the odyssey pc1700 for a good single battery
Up_to_something.gif

got wake? said:
that's actually not that much power. check out the odyssey pc1700 for a good single battery
Up_to_something.gif

what's wrong with optima?

last i knew they were king in the field...

Back