Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 3774 of 3776 FirstFirst ... 2774327436743724376437723773377437753776 LastLast
Results 56,596 to 56,610 of 56638

Thread: What have you done to your P5 today?

Still can't seem to figure out why my front calipers are stuck. Odd both would have the exact same issue. I'm sure it something really simple too. I won't take it in to a shop because around here they will screw you to the ground and also was recently laid off due to our owner operating without a license. Nice. So i couldn't pay a shop anyways.
    I have always replaced the brakes on my car since day one and never had any previous issues at all.
    The piston was thought to be the culprit originally. I thought so too. Thinking the piston was getting hung up on the ridge of the rotor. Looking at it closer I can see the piston does indeed clear the the top of the rotor. So now I'm really stumped. I've had these new rotors and pads for over a year and would like to install them. Should take 30 min but this issue has me at a compete loss.
    Any ideas at all?
    Here's the original video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ztmbM7SNw50

Also a pic I just now took:

You can see the piston is clearing everything just fine. I don't get it....
    02 Protege 5
    Suspension:
    BC Coilovers; AWR endlinks; GT Spec front 4 point ladder bar; GT Spec rear V-Brace; GT Spec reinforcement panel; GT Spec rear strut bar; AWR trailing arms; Modded factory rear sway bar.

Performance:
    MP3 ECU (not flashed); Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley; JDM MS flywheel (16lbs);
    K&N drop in panel filter < the absolute Worst thing I ever did.
    1sty Grounding Kit; TB Coolant Bypass Mod; 03 MSP Rear Axleback; Resonator Delete.

Interior:
    Kartboy Short Shifter with Kartboy Bushings; DGM CF Gauge Bezel; DGM CF passenger side dash cover; Wink 5 Panel Mirror; Baton style Shiftknob; 4 inch shifter extension; Red Accent Lights; Super Bright LED's in the Gauge Cluster.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ogsk8ermocc/videos

Registered Member

lolmsp

Quote Originally Posted by o.g.sk8er View Post

Still can't seem to figure out why my front calipers are stuck. Odd both would have the exact same issue. I'm sure it something really simple too. I won't take it in to a shop because around here they will screw you to the ground and also was recently laid off due to our owner operating without a license. Nice. So i couldn't pay a shop anyways.
    I have always replaced the brakes on my car since day one and never had any previous issues at all.
    The piston was thought to be the culprit originally. I thought so too. Thinking the piston was getting hung up on the ridge of the rotor. Looking at it closer I can see the piston does indeed clear the the top of the rotor. So now I'm really stumped. I've had these new rotors and pads for over a year and would like to install them. Should take 30 min but this issue has me at a compete loss.
    Any ideas at all?

https://www.mazdas247.com/members/o....3-10-04-39.png
    maybe the caliper slider pin thing at the pivot point is dried up and seized? a torn rubber boot can let in moisture and dry it out pretty quick. only thing i can think of. i usually have to pry my caliper open when i go in to lube brake parts.
    03 MSP, 03 P5

Thanks man. I thought that too but that seems to move freely as well. The car is pretty clean underneath thankfully, and in good shape. No leaks or rust so I have no real gunky build up or anything.
    I tried forcing it earlier but nope.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

lolmsp

Thanks man. I thought that too but that seems to move freely as well. The car is pretty clean underneath thankfully, and in good shape. No leaks or rust so I have no real gunky build up or anything.
    I tried forcing it earlier but nope.
    doesn't open even if you take a long screw driver to pry it open?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

I used a tire iron lol.
    The whole thing is strange because the car brakes just fine. The pads are getting worn though. That's why I want to change them.

Registered Member

lolmsp

tire iron works. i just usually use a long flat head haha. long as you can get it off!

hmm. maybe one of the rivets on the back of the brake pad is in the way? may have came off and sticking out a bit from heat and old age
    Last edited by 323; 05-23-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Donated: $25

LX, MSP 1145

Any ideas at all?

Iím not exactly sure but you have 2 caliper slides per caliper, so you would have to pull out/back them both in order to remove the caliper. You donít just flip them forward/ over
    Be happy!

Registered Member

lolmsp

Quote Originally Posted by Dpwhitehead1 View Post
    I*m not exactly sure but you have 2 caliper slides per caliper, so you would have to pull out/back them both in order to remove the caliper. You don*t just flip them forward/ over
    you're thinking of honda or subaru calipers (based on my personal experience) where each caliper pin has a bolt on it. we have 1 bolt on the lower slider and the top slider slides into the caliper. you can open up your caliper like a ring box like you were proposing to your girl.

2002 mazda protege 5

I just looked at your picture again.

Being as you can see your brake piston, reach through with a big screwdriver and push it all the way in.
    That will give you lots of room for your caliper and pads to slip past what they're caught on.
    Last edited by pcb; 05-23-2019 at 08:50 PM.
    The Diagram Dude

Registered Member Protege5 Smoke's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Got the windows re-tinted today!

......................... i12drivemyMP5's Avatar
    Donated: $5

323F

Hauled some rear axles for my truck in it.........now the truck is back to being dd......................oh yeah, hot & humid so the lean code is gone until dry cold dense air comes back........around Xmas.

Registered Member

lolmsp

Quote Originally Posted by i12drivemyMP5 View Post
    ......................oh yeah, hot & humid so the lean code is gone until dry cold dense air comes back........around Xmas.
    it's a feature

Looking for John Connor Breeegz's Avatar
    Donated: $10

2003 Protege 5 -- 2016 Ford Expedition

After being down for a couple months, I have my P5 back on the road with New Timing Belt, Water Pump, Manzo Header, and Front + Passenger AWR Motor Mounts.

NVR is noticeable, but not offensive at idle, can't hardly tell at cruising speed. Thanks to all the folks that chimed in a couple months ago.
    By installing the Manzo Header, I fixed the leaks at the exhaust manifold (cracked welds), but I created a leak where it joins up with the stock exhaust. I need to get a new doughnut gasket, but I think I'm going to wait until my Racing Beat Cat-Back comes in.

The Passenger Side engine mount had 3 broken bolts where it attaches to the block. I can attest that that's a PITA to get enough clearance to drill out those bolts. That's what took so long, I was trying to avoid from having to pull the engine.
    Last edited by Breeegz; 06-05-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    Now you see me, now you don't. I'm a Ninja.
    My Cardomain page My Alaska Picture Thread My Zombie Protege5 Project

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by Dpwhitehead1 View Post
    Iím not exactly sure but you have 2 caliper slides per caliper, so you would have to pull out/back them both in order to remove the caliper. You donít just flip them forward/ over
    I found this on Amazon.

It looks like some aftermarket suppliers have two bolted on slider pins.

Registered Member

Mazda Protege5

Installed the AWR front engine mount, thought it was going to be a bit easier but nothing too bad. the part that has the hole where the bolt goes thru needed to be loosened up before the bottom aligned.
    2002 Mazda Protege5 Pure White

MP3 Flashed ECU | Mishimoto Radiator/Shroud | MS Door Sills & Shift Knob | OBX Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings | Goodridge SS Brake Lines | CorkSport 3rd Link Mod | MPV Wiper Stalk & Tribute Nozzles | S2K Antenna | Cabin Air Filter Mod | AWR Front Motor Mount 77 Duro | 205/55R16 Kumho Ecsta 4XII on 03 P5 Wheels

Page 3774 of 3776 FirstFirst ... 2774327436743724376437723773377437753776 LastLast