What have you done to your P5 today?

My P5 is still chugging along. Of late, it's just been doing daily driver duty. Haven't done anything interesting to it, but I've definitely got a list. Just passed 199k, on it's way to 200k. I'm going to have to start looking at what it'll take to do a timing belt. Paint has taken a huge beating from the winter and abuse from neighboring cars and people walking past...makes me sad but it's the reality of having an old car. Lots of scrapes and door dings.

Need to do brakes...again. I've got a rear caliper that likes to seize when the parking brake is used, so I can't use that until it's fixed. Also need to do rear pads. Front rotors are warped...I replaced them only a few years back but I drive the car hard so not surprising. Front Hawk HPS pads still have plenty of life left. I'll probably just do rear brakes and leave the fronts until It makes sense to do a Mazda6 swap properly.

Couple of recent photos...cause why not
View attachment 327833View attachment 327834
View attachment 327832

This thing is such a hunk of junk but I still love it 😁
What other Mazda 6 bits can cross over?

Dang that doesn't sound good. What came of it (since your post was from mid-march and it's May now)?

It does sound like bottom end to me, but seems weird that it would start just after doing plugs and wires. And as far as I can remember, it seems like a knock would be a little more irregular.
Yes, others have said the same - bottom end or bent rod. I just got done verifying the timing belt idler pulleys and spring and everything is tight. No sounds from the water pump either. I need to drain the oil and maybe a flush to be certain, but the car drives great and has great power with zero issues beyond this ticking noise. I need to drain the oil and inspect for shavings; maybe a flush to be certain, but the car drives great with zero issues beyond this ticking noise, so will probably just keep it going until there is a reason not to.

Back