What have you done to your P5 today?

It took me about two afternoon/evenings but that was because of sanding But im a perfectionist and i sanded with like 500 something grit sandpaper so haha

Over the weekend I gave her a bath, took the DS front tire to the shop to get a slow leak fixed, changed the oil and removed the MB Quart powered sub as it was blown. Only had it installed for two months and it was not abused. Working on a replacement under warranty now but the install shop threw out all of the packaging and manual so we shall see. Will need to re-do the headlights as well as they are beginning to have again and depending on the sub replacement/credit a new set of door speakers are on the list. Not much else as the rust is killing her slowly...even had thoughts about doing a mini part-out back to stock for the time being but quickly decided against it.

So of course..the one gauge that doesnt work until you start moving is the one that doesnt work. Realized it this morning on the way to work and have the cluster apart again.

Completely baffled though, as the needle isnt broken but the speedometer needle refuses to move when the car starts moving...

Any ideas?

Finally bit the bullet and did the LED bulb swap into my cluster and HVAC lights, and I am more than happy to have done it! Really worth it imo..

Didn't break any needles which is a plus too, but did have my tach not installed properly so car "idled" at 4k and went down to 0 when i gave it gas xD.

All fixed now and i love it! I definitely recommend this mod.

20216102226_23716ca357_z.jpg

What was the number for the bulbs and where did you order them from? I tried it a few months ago but ordered the wrong bulbs.

Hank, the lights look great! Couldn't see the pics before while at work. Time to paint those housings black though. ;) Cluster is looking good taco...not something I'd want to try and happy to hear your issue was fixed.

Gotta pull the DS door panel off. After having the front end fixed after an accident last year, the door wouldn't open up from the outside one day...about two weeks after the repairs. So I took the car back in and the guy said they would have to order the part but they did a temp fix. Fast forward a year (they never called me and I forgot to nudge them as the door worked fine) when one day the door won't open. I call and leave two voicemails with no response. Finally I go in and they take it apart again and then tell me that they had to send the part back (they can't keep them long) and that the part is now discontinued by Mazda?! Then tell me that they have a guy who drops off random parts from time to time and he has an assortment of clips for them. So I take the car back the next week and drop it off for the day. The mgr tells me they used a "universal" clip and that he can't guarantee how long it will work. I know....three weeks as it broke last night! Door will open up from the inside but not the outside. I've already contacted onlinemazdaparts and the parts counter at Young Mazda and think it's part # B45558411 - handle, outside joint...that I need. If so, both places say there is plenty of stock and can have it in my hand in a matter of days. If this ends up being the case I'll be contacting Young Mazda as it's their body shop who told me the part is no longer available. Have a feeling the guy gave me the run-a-round and my car sat there for the day....now he can get off without fixing it and telling me there's no guarantee it will work. (pissed) / end rant

Hank, the lights look great! Couldn't see the pics before while at work. Time to paint those housings black though. ;)

Thanks. They're going to be remaining the stock silver/chrome bezel. It was on purpose to retain the stock look :) And one bonus with staying with the P5 lights is the stock halogen high beams work with the bixenon high beams as well.

I have to carve out some time to tune the cutoff beams as they're not flat...they have a pretty noticeable bow to them currently, but overall the light output with 5k bulbs through projectors is noticeably brighter, wider, and a pleasure to drive behind.

IMG_2374.jpg

Last edited:
mine bow the opposite way haha but this is a very satisfying mod to do. they look great Hank3 I did paint the housing on mine and bought extra projector lenses and fit them in the turn signal "tube". I never saw anybody else try it out so I went for it I'll see if I can post a pic if not go check my insta "@mr._.nemo"

mine bow the opposite way haha but this is a very satisfying mod to do. they look great Hank3 I did paint the housing on mine and bought extra projector lenses and fit them in the turn signal "tube". I never saw anybody else try it out so I went for it I'll see if I can post a pic if not go check my insta "@mr._.nemo"

Yeah...unfortunately with these projectors, some of them need some tuning regardless of what kind of projectors you get (A-stock, B-stock or generic). Reading through countless threads on the HID forums, I see members having cutoff issues all the time. I was able to tune the projectors some last night and was able to get them to bow back up some by adding some washers. There was sharper cutoff as well as some more color. Going to do some more trial and error this weekend.

Saw your pics and they look great!

Last edited:
Returning the previous set of projectors. Their replacements are better, but still not perfect as the bowing is still there. Cutoff is sharper as well:

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

Hey guys, so I am more than likely going to be buying a 2002 manual Silver P5 with 106k on it very soon. For only $1900 at that. I was wondering what are some beginner upgrades I could put on since this is my first self-owned car. Also, does the radio come stock with aux? Sorry for the newb questions haha, I just didn't want to start a whole new thread just to ask a few simple questions. THANKS!

Hey guys, so I am more than likely going to be buying a 2002 manual Silver P5 with 106k on it very soon. For only $1900 at that. I was wondering what are some beginner upgrades I could put on since this is my first self-owned car. Also, does the radio come stock with aux? Sorry for the newb questions haha, I just didn't want to start a whole new thread just to ask a few simple questions. THANKS!
Radio has no AUX but it's easy to upgrade with a new head unit. You can install an AUX port with the stock radio, but for the effort, I'd just do the whole unit so you can get bluetooth, USB, etc.

Otherwise, make sure your motor mounts are intact and that all the necessary parts are functioning as they should.

From there, check out this thread for some budget-minded ideas: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123696530-Mods-on-the-cheap

Took the car for a "farewell" photoshoot and got it ready to sell/partout... (unamused) Not looking forward to dealing with that.

Back