What have you done to your P5 today?

Installed the wiring for heated seats and put the heaters in the driver's seat.

Installing under the seat cover:
cache.php

Seat done:
cache.php

Wiring install:
cache.php

Controller, still needs a final location:
cache.php

Installed the wiring for heated seats and put the heaters in the driver's seat.

Installing under the seat cover:

Seat done:

Wiring install

Controller, still needs a final location:

where did you get the controller and heater? That looks like a cool project.

Not p5 related but...mp3 related

so last monday i was taking my girls to school in the morning, when some lady hit me on the right side quarter spun us a 180. Damage was mid/lower right quarter, tail lamp and pushed in the wheel from the top. So i think she just bent the strut inwards. Got word from the insurance and it was the lady's fault but my car is a total loss. Will be buying back to see if i can get it fixed so i won't send another mp3 to the scrapper.

finally after 9+ years of ownership I disabled the clutch to start switch so I dont need to get in the car at all to warm it up on the cold days, or when clearing snow off of it. 1 minute job which took 9 years!

finally after 9+ years of ownership I disabled the clutch to start switch so I dont need to get in the car at all to warm it up on the cold days, or when clearing snow off of it. 1 minute job which took 9 years!

That might not work..
The ECU needs to know when the clutch is pressed to send the car to idle.
The cruise control needs to know too so it can disengage when the clutch is pressed.

You will probably pop a code.

You could put a switch somewhere that turns the clutch switch on and off... Just flip the switch when you get in and drive off.

You could put a switch somewhere that turns the clutch switch on and off... Just flip the switch when you get in and drive off.

I've been pondering uses for a red guarded switch, maybe this is the winner..

But... If you forget to put the car in neutral and start it, it'll end up on your neighbors front lawn.

That might not work..
The ECU needs to know when the clutch is pressed to send the car to idle.
The cruise control needs to know too so it can disengage when the clutch is pressed.

You will probably pop a code.

no codes thus far. Unclipped the connector to switch, threw a 15A fuse in its place, put car in neutral, starts right up. Drives perfect, idles as it did before, zero difference except I can just lean into car and turn key without having to put a foot on the clutch. From what I can gather with the switch behind the clutch pedal, it is just a momentary SPST switch which just needs to have clutch pedal pushed in to complete the circuit in order to start the car.

And just for funsies i ran the torque app with my obd2 adapter and no pending

Fz0yDEP.jpg

You need to drive above 30km/hr then to a stop ten times in a row to throw the code.

You'll eventually throw a code.
The ECU is watching you lol.

Even better yet, design a switch combo lockout, where the correct switch pattern must be activated before you can start your car! Just like Mad Max: Fury Road lol

Even better yet, design a switch combo lockout, where the correct switch pattern must be activated before you can start your car! Just like Mad Max: Fury Road lol

A friend of mine used to have an old b2200 with a keypad which it had to enter in a code, then depress clutch and turn key to start. Really silly and stupid especially if you stalled and had to restart every when in traffic.

I've definitely driven over 30km/h to zero more than 10 times since putting in the fuse, but I'll report back if course if a code comes up. Least it'll be "an easy fix" if it does, haha!
Just having all the fun I can with the p5 before it goes out to pasture next spring :(

If you were to have two switches, one for the clutch switch and one for the neutral switch, that both needed to be flipped before starting your car, then you and your car may not end up in your neighbors front lawn. lol

okay lets change the phrasing here to say I disabled the neutral switch with that fuse. Happy now?!?! haha

Day 4 of driving the car now with fuse in place.
Starts without depressing clutch pedal.
Idle is where it always was.
Cruise control works as before. Pressing brake turns it off. Pressing clutch even a little bit turns it off. So yeah it was just the neutral switch but figured earlier saying "clutch to start" made enough sense

OK, I just went out and looked at my parts car.
There's two separate switches on the clutch.
One for the starter interlock and one for the ECU and cruise control.

So I guess you're good to go !!

I like the way the fuse just happens to fit in the connector... Easier than a jumper wire.

OK, I just went out and looked at my parts car.
There's two separate switches on the clutch.
One for the starter interlock and one for the ECU and cruise control.

So I guess you're good to go !!

I like the way the fuse just happens to fit in the connector... Easier than a jumper wire.

Damn correct language gets me every time! yeah it was very convenient that a mini fuse fits in just fine and offers that little bit of protection. So bring on the protege5's last winter without push clutch to start!

I was thinking the clutch switch and the starter interlock switch were the same switch.

I was also thinking it would be safer to tie in the neutral switch on the transmission somehow so it won't start unless it's in neutral.

I'm sure if I bypassed my starter interlock switch I wouldn't last a month before I absentmindedly started the car in gear.

Actually, thinking about it some more, it looks like it would be quite easy to splice into a wire coming from the neutral switch and feed it into the disconnected starter interlock switch connector. (as long as the switch has continuity in neutral as opposed to in gear)

That way instead of having the clutch pressed in you have to be in neutral to start your car !!

Sounds like an interesting mod.

If you ever stall your car in traffic you just put it in neutral and restart it.

EDIT : After staring at the wiring diagrams for while it looks like my idea won't work.
The two circuits operate differently and would interfere with each other.

So disregard all my posts on this entire topic. lol

Last edited:
my "new" reman caliper already got a leak somehow. Not from the bleeder or banjo. I tightened up further the bolt which seals off the parking brake adjuster, but still i think this is a warranty issue :/

QMXkNpe.jpg

OmzuBh5.jpg

my "new" reman caliper already got a leak somehow. Not from the bleeder or banjo. I tightened up further the bolt which seals off the parking brake adjuster, but still i think this is a warranty issue :/

QMXkNpe.jpg

OmzuBh5.jpg

Our rear calipers are "odd balls" and the guys at the rebuild place may not have the replacement parts for the spot where the P-brake attaches.

The parts wear out and get sloppy and stop sealing properly.

That's a warranty issue.

They weren't rebuilt properly.

Back