What have you done to your P5 today?

Smoked my tails and installed $5 "nitro tuning" pedals. Gotta be good for some horsepower, heh.
f607a7d7db9acb81e444d7eff66057c7.jpg
62838d3c72961856199330668e61140a.jpg
596b0ac67af4c05e0b69fdb72c12c332.jpg

As of Saturday 6/17 I bought my 4th Protege and second P5. It's a laser blue 03 with 219k, the motor blew and has a big hole in the back of the block, and a small one in the front of the block. I paid $400 for it, and the only option it has is leather. Just about every panel on the car has damage of some sort, a fog light and tail light are broken and the interior is absolutely filthy. I plan to swap the motor and get it running, then start cleaning it up and swapping some MSP parts onto it.

Don't know if I will actually turbo the car but I will install an MSP upper oil pan and oil cooler on the motor so if I decide to turbo it in the future it won't be a difficult swap.

Kinda happy to have another project to work on, the car is going to change a lot once I have it running. Already have a good fog light, MSP floor mats, door sills, shifter, intermittent wiper stalk, tribute nozzles, M6 rear wiper, new roof racks, better headlights, HIDs, eibach springs, MSP Racingharts, etc to swap in. Also have a catless J/mid pipe, new motor mounts, MSP kenwood speakers, subs, and head unit to install.

Planning to do a bunch of work on this car, would like to find an MSP gauge cluster and JDM tails for it as well. I have a feeling after driving it around N/A for a while I am going to want to turbo the car, but I need a reliable daily so I will have to think about it.

Here is the only pic I have so far.

haha exactly why i picked up a p5. it gets a lot of hand me down parts. although sometimes i want something else, i just keep thinking about how cheap it is to maintain even though it burns a bit of oil.

Thanks! That cluster only has 144k though. Luckily I found one with 230k that I will swap in once the P5 hits that many miles so it will still be accurate.

Looking for some roof rack deletes now, and a passenger side leather seat cover.

Focus now is to get it running, but I'm going to start collecting parts anyway.

I'm thinking about installing some Speed6 wheels instead of the racing harts. Got plenty of time to decide.

Awesome ! Build thread? I my self am just on my 4th. 3 p5's one msp. Sort of glad to know it isn't just me [emoji41]

No build thread yet. I may do one but I rarely keep up with stuff. And my iphone got wet and the camera no longer works which is a hassle.

I will probably do one later one.

Found an 03.5 P5 at the JY with the stock sub setup. Grabbed the sub, rear trunk organizer thing, L tail light, nice fog light, spare tire, rear seat belts to replace the broken ones and a bunch of other stuff.
There were some BRAND NEW NEVER INSTALLED rear roof rack delete strips in the car, really wish I could have found the front ones but they were nowhere to be found.

Trying to decide now if I want to just put new bearings in my stock 170k mile motor from my MSP or pull a motor from the JY. Kind of a crap shoot getting JY motors though, they don't put the mileage anywhere so I have to find a way to power on the gauge cluster.

Picked up that 230k mile MSP cluster too. Can't wait to get this thing running!

It's an iPhone 6 and I already replaced the front and rear camera. They still don't work. I'm due for an upgrade so I will just get a new one. It's a hassle not having it!

I think the IC chip that controls the cameras was fried somehow, everything else on the phone works fine except for the flashlight which is linked to the cameras.

No build thread yet. I may do one but I rarely keep up with stuff. And my iphone got wet and the camera no longer works which is a hassle.

I will probably do one later one.

Found an 03.5 P5 at the JY with the stock sub setup. Grabbed the sub, rear trunk organizer thing, L tail light, nice fog light, spare tire, rear seat belts to replace the broken ones and a bunch of other stuff.
There were some BRAND NEW NEVER INSTALLED rear roof rack delete strips in the car, really wish I could have found the front ones but they were nowhere to be found.

Trying to decide now if I want to just put new bearings in my stock 170k mile motor from my MSP or pull a motor from the JY. Kind of a crap shoot getting JY motors though, they don't put the mileage anywhere so I have to find a way to power on the gauge cluster.

Picked up that 230k mile MSP cluster too. Can't wait to get this thing running!
I hear that. Strange to hear the yards near you don't post mileage. Ours have the mileage, year and active/salvage and run condition ( starts etc) . I have harvested a ton of miscellaneous o2 sensors, relays etc from the ones near here. If anything this forum has helped me refine what I look for ( I laughed with glee when I found a 626, hello valve cover & intake! ).

Have you looked on kijiji for an engine ? We have a few jdm ones locally.

Oh, and idle curiosity by roof rack delete are you refering.to the small black tabs:
7ff4ebbde572aeb2fd22a09b54016e49.jpg

If so I have a set ( I think) in my bone yard. I can check after my shift and let you know.

Last edited:
The US P5s had a big roof rack on them, some 03.5 models had a roof rack delete which is what all Canadian P5s had. Just plain black strips like the sedan. I found caps that fit the stock roof racks when you remove the cross bars.

There are some JDM motors in Houston but they want about $800-1k for them. I would rather just pull one from the JY for $200, just have to find a clean one.

The junkyards here also break all the O2 sensors and remove the cats so you can't purchase them.

There is a 1.8 ES with the 1.8 coil setup and VC that has newer coils, really thought about getting it but I was already dropping so much on all the other crap I had grabbed. May go back next week and get the coils and the VC but I don't really need it. The normal 2.0 coils work just fine.

Replaced trans fluid again on the mp3 with oem mazda manuel fluid with a half a bottle of limited slip oil, feels so much better. Also swapped the nardi steering wheel with a p5 leather wheel.

Oh, and idle curiosity by roof rack delete are you refering.to the small black tabs:
7ff4ebbde572aeb2fd22a09b54016e49.jpg

If so I have a set ( I think) in my bone yard. I can check after my shift and let you know.
I think I have those tabs with my rack delete strips but was wondering about any hardware on the bottom of them that connect them to the car and if you maybe had that on hand?

I think I have those tabs with my rack delete strips but was wondering about any hardware on the bottom of them that connect them to the car and if you maybe had that on hand?
Yeah, it looks like those little tabs are seated in a larger black plastic strip. I will see if I can't work them out someway.

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

Back