What have you done to your P5 today?

Yeah, it looks like those little tabs are seated in a larger black plastic strip. I will see if I can't work them out someway.

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk
I have those tabs. I was just wondering if there was any hardware on the bottom of the strips to connect to car that I might be missing. The strips I have have nothing on bottom side. Do they use the same stuff holding the roof rails on?

I have those tabs. I was just wondering if there was any hardware on the bottom of the strips to connect to car that I might be missing. The strips I have have nothing on bottom side. Do they use the same stuff holding the roof rails on?
Okay, so the small plastic tabs go into larger full length strips, these strips are seated with metal brackets that are fixed to the body. There are other metal brackets for the rack itself to be fixed to. The style of racks it deletes is 3rd photo. Help any? And you are welcome to what I've just pulled, pm me.
4835c1cc542b02e3d78af235c2ab35a9.jpg
feb0615b46f5bb43e08cc5899fdc899c.jpg
3375ec3ff19d2864e94c7b2bdd33d244.jpg

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

Finally got the motor out of the P5 this morning. The driver side axle is seized in the hub, was able to get the passenger side out with a axle puller but the driver side wouldn't budge after being soaked with WD40 for a couple days and hitting the puller with a sledge. Ended up pulling it from the trans which popped out pretty easily and yanked the motor out.

I can count three holes in the block, big one by the starter, smaller one on the front of the block and a small one on the upper oil pan. Can't wait to get it apart to see the carnage!

Finally got the motor out of the P5 this morning. The driver side axle is seized in the hub, was able to get the passenger side out with a axle puller but the driver side wouldn't budge after being soaked with WD40 for a couple days and hitting the puller with a sledge. Ended up pulling it from the trans which popped out pretty easily and yanked the motor out.

I can count three holes in the block, big one by the starter, smaller one on the front of the block and a small one on the upper oil pan. Can't wait to get it apart to see the carnage!
A Mazda with an axle seized in the hub!?!?! No way!!!

My first Protege was four years old and had less than 100k and it took me fooooooorrrrrreeeeeevvvvvvveeer to get it out. Air hammer, torch, basically a reverse used puller, penetrating oil, and a big-ass sledge. My 350lb friend was worn out after swinging on that thing forever and it not budging. We beat on that thing forever and suddenly out of nowhere, it just popped loose. Ended up mushrooming the axle, so had to grind it down to get it out of the hub. I actually used a thread file to clean up the threads and basically cut new ones and reused that axle. Without issue for another 70+k and three years before selling the car. Then the Mazda 6 my girlfriend at the time and I bought for cheap and had to R&R the engine, never got those out and was able to get them out of the transmission. But man, between that and the awful exhaust, that was an awful, awful pain-in-the-ass job. Nothing went right. Don't think the MSP ever had any issues. My 02 P5, which still had OEM axles at 225k and had been out because someone were still somewhat difficult to remove. Especially once I realized after they were out they had anti-seize already applied to the splines. My passenger axle on my MS3 was also a pain-in-the-ass.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I haven't had any issues with either MSP, but I don't think these axles have ever been removed on this P5 in the last 14 years and 219k miles. The Passenger axle came out pretty easily with the puller, it slid right out. The driver's side was a different story. This is just going to be a cheap daily so I plan to reuse the stock axles, they don't leak even though they look original. I am considering removing the hub and pressing the axles out at work, but I don't want to ruin either part. I am also considering picking up new axles for it, which are only about $85 shipped online.

The car is also going to need a clutch. Can't wait to get it running so I can clean it up. It's so damn dirty.

Picked up a laser blue 03.5 MSP lip this morning for a very good deal. Always wanted one when I had my red P5. I have spent more on parts for this car than I paid for it, and I don't have a motor for it yet!

I have spent more on parts for this car than I paid for it, and I don't have a motor for it yet!

Lol our cars are worth close to nothing now, and parts are rare. So yea, you can easily spend more on parts than what you paid for the car, or what it's worth. Sucks, but strangely it's worth it

got my OBX header back from powder coating today! jet hot silver coating is a GO!!!! cant wait to get it installed in the car finally! :D

19665365_10212233806352052_304593055217344188_n.jpg

I was looking under my car today and noticed this plastic cover thing under the spare wheel well.

cd27655c6f0f15a02042807f7f9d7cd2.jpg

Anyone know what it's for or what it covers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's say it does.

Is the charcoal canister moveable? Could I relocate it and reroute the piping and/or cables? Or does it have to be in a certain position relative to the gas tank?

Don't have that 'plastic cover thing' on my car. And don't have the hoses to the left of it either?? Was never there from new in Australia.

Is that a USA/North American thing?

It's in the way. I'm trying to create a single surface underbody paneling and it just seems like the cover is in the way of a smooth transition between what will be the rear panels and the diffuser

Then again, I haven't removed the cover so idk how much empty space there is under it and how much space the canister takes up

Last edited:
Cheated transmission off on my front lawn. Lol. Almost half way to new clutch ( as mine is so so crispy) . How ever beer o'clock has arrived so good for now.
f63f9bb340545e11766377932c07e152.jpg

Let's say it does.

Is the charcoal canister moveable? Could I relocate it and reroute the piping and/or cables? Or does it have to be in a certain position relative to the gas tank?

It is a charcoal canister. I removed mine and rerouted the lines to bypass it. If you get under there you should be able to figure it out pretty easily.
Its huge so moving it would be kind of hard to do. I had no CEL or anything when I removed mine and looped the lines.
I cut the whole spare tire well out so it had to go lol

It is a charcoal canister. I removed mine and rerouted the lines to bypass it. If you get under there you should be able to figure it out pretty easily.
Its huge so moving it would be kind of hard to do. I had no CEL or anything when I removed mine and looped the lines.
I cut the whole spare tire well out so it had to go lol
time for you to post pics then!

Back