What have you done to your P5 today?

Needles have black centers
Ah yes, of course. I've also seen the 'MAZDASPEED' cluster needles with black centres? Which models had silver needles and which models had the black needles?

251363282851_h.jpg

No the "mazdaspeed" doesn't light up.
No? That's a shame. Maybe the Protg Mazdaspeed cluster is not that special after all. (sadbanana)

In Australia, the BJII Protg SP20's had 2 different gauge colours. White for the early models and a silver/grey gauges for the later models. Is this the case in US and Canada also?

Ah yes, of course. I've also seen the 'MAZDASPEED' cluster needles with black centres? Which models had silver needles and which models had the black needles?

251363282851_h.jpg

No? That's a shame. Maybe the Protg Mazdaspeed cluster is not that special after all. (sadbanana)

In Australia, the BJII Protg SP20's had 2 different gauge colours. White for the early models and a silver/grey gauges for the later models. Is this the case in US and Canada also?
I believe we just had black or silver. You could go for gauge rings and a different face plate as well ( eBay ).

Curious about your face plate, so it is white with out cruise ? As I am about to delete my cruise control would it be out of order to propose a trade ?
17d7dee94e773443349974606c90c90e.jpg
fc2c4328ed48d08dbd759a3993ab996b.jpg

The problem I'm seeing in jazzy's interest in a different cluster is that they simply might not be compatible.. They're probably not plug and play.

There is differences between 2002 and 2002.5 year models alone for just the USDM market.

The cluster has a brain of it's own and there is three different connectors with multiple wires in each,... Some used, some not.

Don't forget about this post from your build thread...
His cluster is not working right and he needs the wiring diagrams to figure it out... Even with them, it may not work properly or fully.

I think you should focus on finding wiring diagrams for your exact make and model so you can figure out and match up the right wires going to the right terminals.

Remember,.. You guys down under drive on the wrong side of the road and are upside down...
Our gauges might spin backwards and upside down in your car... lol.

Last edited:
Curious about your face plate, so it is white with out cruise ?
The Australian BJII 323 SP20 had white face plate (see below) for the early models, and silver/light grey face plate for the later (late 2002> I think) models. The lower 323 models had the black face plate, same as US/Canada.

Compare the pic below with the second photo you posted (with the gauge rings) and you can see the difference in colour of the face plate.
bj2sp20_2.jpg

As I am about to delete my cruise control would it be out of order to propose a trade ?
So yes, the AUS cluster has no CRUISE indicator. It also has no Check Engine light! It's not even printed on the face plate! And auto and manual used the same cluster as far as I'm aware, unlike US/Canada.

I'm tempted. But I think as PCB said there might be wiring issues on both sides of the Pacific. And also, as said, AUS has no check engine light indicator (might be a good thing in the US ;) )

I think I have found a very low cost option here in AUS for the CRUISE indicator that will look factory. I was after a Canadian Mazdaspeed cluster because it is in KM/h, has the cruise indicator, and liked the MAZDASPEED on the tacho. But the fact that it doesn't light up is a bummer.

The JDM cluster is easy to spot as it only goes to 180KM/h, and has a higher redline. See below.

IMG_0885.jpg

There's been so many different varieties of the BJ cluster though. I don't think there's ever been a recorded document on all the different clusters available for the BJ 323. The Euro, JDM, AUS, US and other parts of the world all seem to have different types clusters with different displays etc. And then there's the diesel versions too which are also different again.
The same cluster was fitted to many Mazda's and Ford's of that era (MPV's, Premacy, Laser for eg.)

So yes, the AUS cluster has no CRUISE indicator. It also has no Check Engine light! It's not even printed on the face plate!...

What??? No check engine light !???

So How Do You Know If You're Throwing A Code ?!?

You do have codes don't you??
Like OBDII or something right ???

You guys really need to smarten up and drive on the right side of the road !!?!?

Yeah startled me when I took the time to check. I might look into a mod of some kind ( maybe just gently removing masking from behind ? ).

Good luck with your solution !

Sounds like a plan. And installing a red light source behind it too as I don't think the standard set up will make it light up.

Thanks. The solution involves a '02 626 oil/temp face plate (exact same design as BJ 323 but with Cruise light), a blade and some tape/superglue! (2cents) mod FTW!!

BTW, if you're still interested in a AUS spec white face cluster I'll see what I can do. Let me know.

Last edited:
What??? No check engine light !???

So How Do You Know If You're Throwing A Code ?!?

The thing is, being that these cars were originally designed and built in Japan, the steering wheel is on the "right" side of the car. When they swapped the wheel to the left, and the wiring, ECU, etc. had to be modified/changed, it caused a lot of issues and that's why you guys need to have a check engine light - because s**** always going wrong with the LH drive models. Possibly because the electricity is travelling in the wrong direction also!?? We don't need the check engine light because the RH drive models are as originally designed and are more reliable you see? :p

And should we mention the 'R' word!?? We don't have that problem here either! My SP20 is almost 17 years old and does not have a single spot of rust anywhere! Nothing under the car, under guards, panels, none, na da. I've seen some pic's of North American P5's where the rust is so bad, even the plastic bumpers are corroded!! (lol2)

But yes, we do have codes and OBDII port. I check every month or so for codes, and only P0420 shows up every now and then.
Very reliable these RH drive Protgs!

Installed both new rear calipers from Rockauto and all 4 SS brake lines I received from a fellow member...problem is the right rear pushes out white break fluid. Which I guess is when air hits it? Never did that before and it started suddenly as I was bleeding the brakes. The reason for changing them was the pistons were leaking. Suggestions? It's been raining and I'm just recovering from the flu so that turned into a 4 day job so far.

And should we mention the 'R' word!?? We don't have that problem here either! My SP20 is almost 17 years old and does not have a single spot of rust anywhere! Nothing under the car, under guards, panels, none, na da. I've seen some pic's of North American P5's where the rust is so bad, even the plastic bumpers are corroded!! (lol2)

lol

not a single spot of rust on my protege anywhere. i've also learned that if i keep a nice coat of mud/dirt over the car not only does it protect against rust, but also the sun from fading the paint :)

BTW, if you're still interested in a AUS spec white face cluster I'll see what I can do. Let me know.

Well, sort of interested however might be a bit more of a project than I wish to take on ( other more pressing items for my p5 first ). I may however try to paint the face plate on a Canadian cluster and fake it heh.

Did you ever get a cluster sorted out ?

Tried to install the MSProtege shift knob and it keeps lining up crooked. I have a short shifter and I think the threads are not as long so no matter how I turn it, I can't get it to look straight. My OCD is kicking in hard.

Tried to install the MSProtege shift knob and it keeps lining up crooked. I have a short shifter and I think the threads are not as long so no matter how I turn it, I can't get it to look straight. My OCD is kicking in hard.
Maybe put a nut onto the threads first then hold it with a crescent wrench as you tighten on the shift knob. Worked for my katana shift knob!

Maybe put a nut onto the threads first then hold it with a crescent wrench as you tighten on the shift knob. Worked for my katana shift knob!

I might just end up cutting it down a bit. I also replaced both my front tires with 03 p5 wheels I got from a fellow member. My new control arms arrive next week, so I'll be tackling those. Once that's done, new tires for the rear.

Did a quick n' dirty ram air and header combo on a buddies car. Going to have to sort out EGR later, sunk bolts into pipe to block it off for now.

He can't stop giggling.
25afb60997b6a1cb23e4c005785516e2.jpg

Back