DSM AFC installed - NEED FMIC MAP

jeffmsp

Contributor
:
2003 MazdaSpeed Protege
hey guys,

finnally got the AFC in. Install was a breeze, no I didnt cut myself/ mounted the unit in the glovebox. The car is driving ok, its not a huge difference and the drivability has actually suffered a bit. I need to get the car tuned to get the full potential out of this thing. Car is either detonating or the a/f is waay off around 3K because it almost feels like Im hitting Fuel cut which I thought was supposed to be eliminated with the afc. Sometimes starting off from 1st even the car will start bucking back and forth around 3k. After 4K and going WOT the car pulls like a beast. 1st gear is useless, 2nd is good over 4K, 3rd gear is MONEY BABY :) 4 is good but cruising on the highway in 5th is terrible since the car is between 3 and 4K. doesnt stop bucking around. Still very happy with the unit, I just need a trip to the dyno or someone elses map to get it running right-I have alot of mods that are making the a/fs wacky.

If anyone out there has a FMIC map or any map they think may help my problems could you please post it up. Also, did anyone get around to making a WRX 440 map? My injectors are sitting here and it would be great to get someone elses map as a starting point for my own tuning!

Thanks, Jeff

bump-its friday i need the fmic map for the weekend, anyone got one? Gonna try using the afc and the methenol injection together this weekend too hopefully.

That sounds like the simptoms my car is having... almost exact. But I don't have the AFC. I was hoping the AFC would fix that out of the box!

ONRAILS said:
That sounds like the simptoms my car is having... almost exact. But I don't have the AFC. I was hoping the AFC would fix that out of the box!

I have the AFC unit and it did *not* fix it out of the box (even with the FMIC map loaded and the apropriate PSI accounted for). I will say that it did make the car run a lot better until it started getting cold. Now my car backfires every single day...a lot...loud. Either way, it needs to be tuned off a dyno chart using the software it comes with b/c the car still runs rich as hell. My gas mileage is actually worse in the colder weather than it was before I got the unit at all. Don't count on DSM for help either. They are *impossible* to get a hold of. Good guys but too busy to help customers. You may want to consider something else instead...

my car been acting up for the past couple days but i think its because i have boost/vacuum leak,

Last edited:
nice ill try the fmic map today, did you guys notcie an improvement with it?

BTW- as for backfiring, mine did it all the time, now with the afc i never backfire even when i try to by blipping the throttle before a downshift. Its pretty cold here too, but i think im running too lean rather than too rich, especially around 3K

You guys needs to get a WBO2, period. It's worth the money. I am using the super map with my mods (FMIC, CAI) and I have no problems with bucking. Since it has gotten a bit colder in the morning it acts up a little bit when shifting under load, but it is still a lot better than stock. I haven't used the FMIC map yet.

What I can do is graph out the fuel curve with the super map, then load the FMIC map and graph out the fuel curve for that and see the difference. With the outside air being colder, your A/F mixture will be richer than when it's warmer just due to physics, but you shouldn't see bucking like that. Maybe I could develop a winter and summer map so we can avoid these problems. Only issue is that it would be dangerous to run the winter map during the summer.

sweet. that would be awsome if you could

where can I find a wideband for a really good deal? all the afc guys should go in a GB for a wideband.

hmm i am not able to open the map on my home computer even when i right click and Select Save Targat As... think i will be able to load it onto the afc later tonight without problems? i thought the maps were in excel not access?

jeffmsp said:
sweet. that would be awsome if you could

where can I find a wideband for a really good deal? all the afc guys should go in a GB for a wideband.

yeah, a group buy would be sweet..... (thumb)

hmm i am not able to open the map on my home computer even when i right click and Select Save Targat As... think i will be able to load it onto the afc later tonight without problems? i thought the maps were in excel not access?
[/wuote]

anyone? when i try to open the file it says "...file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site. access will not open file due to potential security problems..."

yes i tried right click save as as directed on the webpage.

jeffros69b@hotmail.com

thanks alot. I am using Office XP PRO so I dont know why it wont work, I tried at work and same deal.

I installed a EMS called "speedbrain" into my buddies 95 Stang GT yesterday. He has a bunch of mods like GT40 heads, headers, cam etc and he was running high 13s. Without even bringing the car to a dyno, just doing some tuning in the driveway on the speedbrain the car pulls alot harder. I hope i have as good results with my afc./

damn my hotmail and home email block the attachement. Please try in msn later tonight :)

BUMP!!! - ANYBODY GOT A WRX 440 MAP?

I know there are a lot of hobbyists on here (including myself), but do any of you feel 100% confident in your ability to tune the AFC based off a dyno? I can't get any replies from DSM and I don't know enough about a/f's to start playing the numbers game with it yet. That's the whole reason I purchased it; their claim that they would be able to do a custom map based off a dyno.

I feel like I got screwed, and am kind of searching for help on this.

im not going to be doing a very aggressive tune since I'll be using 91 octane. I usually get 94 so that should rule out some deto. and the meth kit is pretty much a second bandaid until i can afford a j and s.(together they will work wonders though) If I could get the boost to stop spiking as much I would go for an aggressive tune, but I still cant control it enough to rule out blowing a motor.

byhondspeed that fmic map you sent me..in the aquisition data table you have cylinders 3...any reason why? do you have a bad idle? ;)

I'm confident because I have a WBO2 sensor. I tuned the super map a bit and made it a bit richer in the upper power band because it was getting towards 13:1 and I think the stock ECU was pulling timing. My tunes were pretty much guess and check though. Before I'm able to log boost (I need a MAP sensor for that) I'm going to log what the AFC is doing when (RPM and which part of the map it's looking at) and then log RPM and A/F. That should give me a pretty good clue as to what changes I need to make to the map. Once I am able to log boost I'll be able to tune this thing without any problems.

Back