Fuel Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike835

Please comment on what gas mileage you're getting with whatever M3 that you're driving. If it has improved at what distance on the odometer did it improve.

In my case, after 5000kms on a M3 Spt-Gt (2.3 & AT) I'm getting typically 26 mpg on an average combined city/hwy. Certainly not Mazda's predicted fuel ecniomy! The best hwy mileage was 32 mpg.

Thanks for your input.

28-32mpg on a tank of gas (12-12.5 on a normal fill up) with mostly back roads (40-75mph) and 15% or so city driving, i have a 2.3l manual hatch... and my milleage is at 18k

tsunami said:
28-32mpg on a tank of gas (12-12.5 on a normal fill up) with mostly back roads (40-75mph) and 15% or so city driving, i have a 2.3l manual hatch... and my milleage is at 18k
i get about 30mpg good mix of city and highway. i have 33k on my manual hatch.

i used to get way less when i had more of a 70/30 split with a majority in the city... and having a heavy foot doesn't help out with the stop and vroom vroom in the city...

I guess my 2.3l/AT needs more brake in time to reach your figures. Someone told me that sometimes the mileage improves after the first oil change. Anyone ever heard that? Tomorrow is the first change so I'll see in a couple of weeks if there is any change. I've found the mileage disappointing. What's the point of that power if it drains too much gas to zoom ..zoom? Just proves once more the story about having the cake and eating it too ...

I'm getting 18mpg @ 100% city driving. In the rare case of highway driving, I can get 32mpg. I've only got 5000 miles on the car.

4 speed tranny

i have mz3 AT, about 20/28 on city/highway, but one the freeway, only i keep my speed on around 65-70 will get 320 when the gas light on, if i drive 80 something on freeway, it would get 280 for a full tank. that is sad because mz3 has 4 speed AT trenny!! (boom07)

30mpg on my first tank of gas with my 1-week old 2006 M3 S 5-door manual. 60/40 highway/backroads. I don't drive in the city, so I guess I'll never find out what the worst case is........

What engine is in your 2006 ? The 2.3l or the 2l (?) ? 30 mpg is pretty good for a new car - in my opinion. Purchasing the M3 was a toss up between it and a Camry. Da wife liked the M3. I liked the Camry due to mileage claims - and the fact we already had winter tires that would fit. The M3's mileage is a disapointment just as is the $900 spent for new rims and tires. But da wife is happy .... We both like the car - I just don't like the extra costs.

2005 Mazda3s Hatch, 2.3L & Auto Tranny.

When I bought the car, I was averaging about 24 mpg for the first 5,000 miles. I drive 40 miles one-way to work, so that is all highway miles. After 5K, the mileage jumped up to around 26 mpg. Now at 10K miles, my mileage bounces from 26 to 29 mpg.

Mike835,

mine is the "S" 5-door, which comes only with the 2.3L engine, However, I got it with the manual transmission and that for sure helps squeezing few more miles per gallon.

r1ceburner said:
2005 Mazda3s Hatch, 2.3L & Auto Tranny.

When I bought the car, I was averaging about 24 mpg for the first 5,000 miles. I drive 40 miles one-way to work, so that is all highway miles. After 5K, the mileage jumped up to around 26 mpg. Now at 10K miles, my mileage bounces from 26 to 29 mpg.

Your mileage "history" is encouraging to me. Our's is at about 5300kms or only 3300 miles. So with a few more thousand we may see the mileage increase. After the first tank I was all excited as it worked out to 36 mpg. The dealer was 60 miles out of town and they picked the car from the local autoport. So when we picked up the car from the dealer it already had about 60 miles on the odometer and the tank was filled by the dealer (after this 60 miles). So when I re-filled it after a week or so I had a false reading as there was an extra 60 miles on it. The next fill gave me a 26+mpg result which is average now. The best was 34.9 on a sole highway drive.

Last edited:
how many times is someone going to start a goddamn mazda3 fuel economy thread?

seriously people, use the search feature.

Last edited:
Mazda3Rookie said:
Mike835,

mine is the "S" 5-door, which comes only with the 2.3L engine, However, I got it with the manual transmission and that for sure helps squeezing few more miles per gallon.

The manual transmission is more "fun" too. 30 mpg is still really good for a brand new car. (I thought I got 36 on the first tank but the dealer had refilled after the first 60 pre-delivery miles. I was quite happy at first.) How many more miles/gallon do you think the manual transmission give you? It seems from the replies to my question that the economy is all over the place but, as we know the drivers' techniques on the same car will produce different results. Maybe we can't get a soild value with so many different parameters ... light foot / heavy foot ; long city lines / shorter city lines ; hilly terrain/ flat terrain and so on...
I wonder what the standard conditions are for the mileage estimates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back