Rear View Mirror Adjustment

BrianG

:
05 Mazda 3 HatchBack
I don't really know where to put this thread, but here is as good as any, so here goes:

I recently finished installing my stereo system and now I find the rearview mirror slowly adjusts itself down so I am looking at the rear seat. Obviously, this happens from the vibration of the sub. And no, I am not going to remove the sub. :)

Is there a way to tighten the ball joint so it stays put? I am the only one who drives the car, so it's OK if it doesn't adjust easily anymore. I don't want to bother calling the dealership since this is obviously not the fault of the mirror. I have the mirror that has the temperature and auto-dim feature, so it probably is heavier than a regular mirror. I was thinking of fabricating some type of support bracket, but that would just be plain ugly.

Any ideas?

some sort of lock tight in the ball joint? just be sure its where you want it first? or maybe a shim to decrease the gap so as to make the joint tighter? haven't taken a mirror apart but i would start with that....

Hmmm. I don't know if lock-tite is the right stuff, but I believe your idea has merit. Maybe something like hot glue where it is somewhat viscous and is "grippy"? I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow...

i was thinking lock tite cause they have like 10 different levels of the stuff from retaining compound all the way down to some really weak thread locker.... that way you could start with something light and move up if it didn't quite do the job... i think hot glue would creat a mess... the lock tite also comes with a wicking grade wich would go where the glue couldn't....

I don't know if this will work and its a bit difficult to explain so give it a try. You know that little lever underneath the mirror that is suppose to be used when the headlights of the one behind you is bothering you. Well push it in and then re-adjust the mirror to your position. I think it stiffens the ball joint a tad. See if it works.

SNike05 said:
I don't know if this will work and its a bit difficult to explain so give it a try. You know that little lever underneath the mirror that is suppose to be used when the headlights of the one behind you is bothering you. Well push it in and then re-adjust the mirror to your position. I think it stiffens the ball joint a tad. See if it works.

I don't have the dimmer lever since I have the auto-dimming mirror. This feature doesn't physically move the mirror - it looks like it uses an LCD-type of an effect to accomplish dimming. I plan on taking the mirror apart sometime today to take a look...

Back