What is FL22 antifreeze?

:
2006 Mazda5 Touring
Wow, its been hot and dry here in San Diego the last few days. I must say with the windows tinted the AC (w/low fan speed) has had no problems keeping the cabin comfortable.

....anyway, I plan on change my oil this weekend so I was snooping around under the hood tonight and noted several warnings/sticker regarding our M5 using a "FL22" type antifreeze, is this a technical name for an extended-life antifreeze?

Also, how many keys are suppose to come with our M5? I only have the two switchblade keys. Don't all cars come with a valet key to keep the car jockeys out of the glove box?

Bump for an old but unanswered question about FL-22 anti-freeze/coolant. I have been unable to get any substantive information about this coolant on the web so far. I notice that the level in the expansion tank has been slowly dropping since we got our 5 last year, but there is NOT a coolant leak into the engine (verified with many oil analyses). So, it must be slowly evaporating. We've moved since buying our 5 and now the nearest dealer is ~150 miles away. I need some info about FL-22 so I know whether I can use a substitute to top off the expansion tank. Anyone?

Two "switchblade" keys come with the vehicle. There is no valet key perse' I just gave one of my recent customers the plain Mazda 3 key to be used as a valet key.

Here's what mazda says:

To enhance service life, reduce waste material, and lower maintenance costs, a new long-life pre-mixed FL22
engine coolant is being introduced into mass-production for the models shown above.

It is recommended that FL22 coolant continue to be used for models originally filled with FL22 coolant from the
factory.
CAUTION: FL22 coolant is pre-mixed and must be added to the cooling system as is. DO NOT ADD
WATER TO FL22 COOLANT. Adding water will dilute the solution and lessen the effectiveness of
the coolant.
If coolant replacement becomes necessary for prior Mazda models (not originally filled with FL22 coolant), FL22
coolant can be used. If FL22 coolant is used for prior models, be sure to place the FL22 sticker on the reserve
tank or degas bottle to indicate FL22 coolant is being used.
NOTE:
In the case of prior models, the coolant replacement interval is every five (5) years or 60,000 miles
(96,000 km).
Six (6) FL22 stickers are included with each case of coolant.

Not very clear, but it's just another new type of coolant. Says here on the bottle, "ethylene glycol based.... 55/45 mixture recommended..... developed to provide corrosion and rust protection.....boiling point 270 degrees, freezing point -47 degrees. Ingrediants: Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1), Water (7732-18-5), Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6), Potassium Hydroxide (1310-58-3), Proprietary Inhibitors (NJTSRN 217).

Yes I am bored. It smells really nice.

"If engine coolant other than FL22 is used, the engine coolant must be replaced earlier than the specified replacement interval indicated in the scheduled maintenance"

"DO NOT USE coolants containing: Alcohol, methanol, borate, or silicates"
(read the label on the back it'll tell you)

taken right out of the owners manual

Sch 1:

FL22 120,000miles or 10 years
Others 60,000miles or 4 years

So in other words goto autozone and get Prestone pre/mix and you will just have to change it more often. That or goto mazda and buy FL22

Just got an email back from Old World Industries (the guys that make Peak, Sierra, and other antifreeze brands). They say FL-22 is a Motorcraft extended life coolant and that either Peak Global Lifetime or Peak LongLife Antifreeze can be added to FL-22 without issue. Both of those are silicate free, and at least LongLife is also phosphate free. So, I'll be topping off with the LongLife I have on hand.

Thanks for the help, fellas!

Just got an email back from Old World Industries (the guys that make Peak, Sierra, and other antifreeze brands). They say FL-22 is a Motorcraft extended life coolant and that either Peak Global Lifetime or Peak LongLife Antifreeze can be added to FL-22 without issue. Both of those are silicate free, and at least LongLife is also phosphate free. So, I'll be topping off with the LongLife I have on hand.

The regular Peak ready fill does however have silicates in it.

So the PEAK PRAB53 Long Life 50/50 Antifreeze is compatible but not the PEAK non-Long Life?

PEAK Longlife states "Phosphate free and silicate free formula"

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9409189/00873?quantity=1

Why is Mazda making it complicated - or am I behind in time?

Anyway to test the coolant? Someone said 1.2v means change it - mine is giving 0 volt - I never did this so I am also doubting my method!

Last edited:
These are compatible:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7668876&cc=1506101&jsn=394
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8491480&cc=1506101&jsn=395

"Pentofrost A2 is a phosphated organic acid technology (phosphated OAT); which is categorized as HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) in the US market. Pentofrost A2 is suitable for all Asian vehicles using “green” Antifreeze/Coolant. Pentofrost A2 does not contain any silicate, borate, nitrite, or amine additives since these may harm your Asian vehicle. Do not mix with other coolants (especially silicated coolants), as this may cause gel formation and clog your radiator.Pentofrost A2 is an antifreeze CONCENTRATE for Asian vehicle applications in water-cooled engines. Must mix with distilled water. It contains phosphates and organic salts to protect all materials used in cooling systems for Asian vehicles. Pentofrost A2 is mixable with all phosphated OATs. Meets ASTM D-3306
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 000077501E02, 0023206000, 0023219010, 9995150000, 999MPAF000P, MZ311986, SOA868V9210"

Again, does PEAK Longlife work?
https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9409189/00873?quantity=1

Last edited:

Not - according to Peak.
PAGB53 - it is the Green one.

https://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-coolants/automotive/oet-asian-vehicles-extended-life-green/

No retailers seems to have Peak PAGB53 though.

Or this one from my earlier post:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7668876&cc=1506101&jsn=394
Note: The one above says "w/o Type FL22; Green" - meaning without FL22 - that is not right?

Any better products to use?

Last edited:
Sch 1:

FL22 120,000miles or 10 years
Others 60,000miles or 4 years

So in other words goto autozone and get Prestone pre/mix and you will just have to change it more often. That or goto mazda and buy FL22
Premix gallon is not enough
So get the concentrated and mix it with distilled water - left over can be useful to top it over.
Given there is long interval, I would get it from Dealer. If the dealer is far, see if they have any free shipping.

In terms of interval, I would do coolant, tranny drain and fill and the brake fluid, every 7 years.
If you are in east coast, brake fluid more often.
Pls correct me guys ....

Back