some brake help

msp_213

:
09 mazdaspeed3
ok just installed some rotora slotted/drilled rotors and all went good but when i took it for a drive i am getting a ticking from the rear rotors. sounds like if you put a card in the spokes of your bike just not as loud. and it goes with the speed of the car so when i slow down it does too. and ideas what would do this??
thanks

I think that's just the pads making noise as they go over the slots. Does it do it when not braking?

Its too bad that companies keep advertising that their drilled rotors are the best thing money can buy. The reality is that new brake pad technology has eliminted gassing. Previously the only way to eliminate that gassing effect was to drill the rotors.

Slotting is still good as it eliminated heat, but drilling only weakens the discs.

Check out any F1 or Nascar vehicle, you won't find any with drilled rotors.

Maybe the clicking is from the drilled holes making swiss cheese out of your pads....

evolv said:
Its too bad that companies keep advertising that their drilled rotors are the best thing money can buy. The reality is that new brake pad technology has eliminted gassing. Previously the only way to eliminate that gassing effect was to drill the rotors.

Slotting is still good as it eliminated heat, but drilling only weakens the discs.

Check out any F1 or Nascar vehicle, you won't find any with drilled rotors.

Maybe the clicking is from the drilled holes making swiss cheese out of your pads....
Slotting does not eliminate heat - slotting INCREASES the heat your pads generate. It also wears out the pads faster. Drilling is what cuts down the heat...but it also decreases your stopping power slightly, which is 1 reason you don't see it in racing. You can't really compare NASCAR or F1 to normal cars because they're NOT normal. They use pad material that performs better at the EXTREME heat that their braking generates.

To the original poster, I don't know what it could be....I have drilled rotors and my brakes don't make any noise. My guess is that maybe it's the slots making the noise. Give it a week to see if the pads wear enough to make the noise go away I guess....

girth said:
Slotting does not eliminate heat - slotting INCREASES the heat your pads generate. It also wears out the pads faster. Drilling is what cuts down the heat...but it also decreases your stopping power slightly, which is 1 reason you don't see it in racing. You can't really compare NASCAR or F1 to normal cars because they're NOT normal. They use pad material that performs better at the EXTREME heat that their braking generates.

not to start a war but your kind of wrong. The slots are to shave and help direct gasses. the holes are to help the dust. This keeps the brakes from fading. Now for the part that your not wrong on. Yes F1 and nascar don't use them. But thats because they are to hard on the brakes! If you look at vette their are clips of the rotors on fire. Under extrem use and pressure they can brake! I'm drinking so don't hate me for spelling.
For evry day use these D/S rotors are awsome and you cant go wrong, if put on properly.

Hughes412 said:
not to start a war but your kind of wrong. The slots are to shave and help direct gasses. the holes are to help the dust. This keeps the brakes from fading. Now for the part that your not wrong on. Yes F1 and nascar don't use them. But thats because they are to hard on the brakes! If you look at vette their are clips of the rotors on fire. Under extrem use and pressure they can brake! I'm drinking so don't hate me for spelling.
For evry day use these D/S rotors are awsome and you cant go wrong, if put on properly.
Actually what I said is exactly right...except for it's debatable if drilling actually helps dissipate heat. Some say yes because it increases airflow slightly, others say no because there's simply less rotor material to absorb the heat. When I think about it I think the latter is probably correct - less rotor material from drilling = slightly more heat. But maybe that's offset by better airflow?...I don't know.

Anyway, you're right that slotting helps direct gases, but that's not really an issue with the pads commonly sold today. Glazing isn't nearly as common as it used to be. Another benefit of drilling that nobody has mentioned is that it also reduces the unsprung weight...since the rotor isn't quite as heavy. Long story short, it's all personal preference I think.

thanks for the help i am going to give them some time and see what they do to my pads. they seem to brake fine the sound just bugs me.

msp_213 said:
thanks for the help i am going to give them some time and see what they do to my pads. they seem to brake fine the sound just bugs me.

Well there shouldn't be any sound. Can you take a picture so I can see if they are on right? Just take the wheel off. Get a shot of the caliper and the rotor.

Maybe you forgot to install the anti-rattle shims on the back of the pads? Just a thought...I don't know. Like Hughes said, they shouldn't make any noise.

Back