Side Molding Removal

MikeyClutch

:
00 Protege ES
Hey guys just wanted 2 let you guys on a update that SIBalla and me removed the side moldings to my car. took like 4-5 hours with a 1000 degree heat gun and goo gone. would of been easier with an industrial strength adhesive remover but oh well. Anyway it worked out great i have to wash, wax, and compound my car really well and wash it a few more times and you wont notice a thing. Right away you see a difference and the car looks much cleaner and you see the lines better on the car.

TIPS - The plastic and glue melts and re-bonds quickly so work fast, 2 people really helps, heat it up as much as possible and really try and melt that glue cause that glue is a big pain. The drivers doors were the hardest but came out great, the front fenders were the easiest and came out flawless, the rear doors both were alright but you can see the outlines on those so i have 2 clean it all mostly there. Still looks great!

BIG UPS TO SIBALLA!!!! I woulda been out there for a few more hours if it wasnt for him.

Also i removed my tape pinstripe so my car looks alot more flush and clean now, i hope to put some pics up soon after i detail the car and you cant see anything. Cant wait to clean up the rest of the car with some paint, brakes and tid-bits.

HIGHLY recommened removing the side moldings, besides you can call it your Stage 1 weight reduction you loose 2.5-3lbs all around the car and not to mention all the weight from the glue lololol. Ill get come pics up soon

Yea I was glad to help out. It wasn't that bad with two people doing the job. It was a little bit of a pain because your car is 5yrs old so the molding was on there pretty good. Looks alot better, just needs a good few washes and wax.

yeah its definatly worth it
i did it a while back, took 1 hour, i had some special tool a buddy of mine has at the body shop to remove the glue...

its a grinder type tool with 6 foam disk on it, it scraps the glue off but is soft enough to not damage the paint. after i did that, he buffed the area for me, looks good as new..

ehh, my car is dirty again you you notice it right now, this weekend im gunna wash wax comound the car everyday, see how that works out for me. ill post what happens. i dont expect it to look perfect for a week or so until i can really take care of the car and wash it and wax it alot in one week where it will all be flush perfect ill let you guys know how it looks in the comming days

took me 30 minutes. however, I left marks on my passanger front door, really pissed me off

really easy mod. I did it 2-3 weeks ago, took me about 2-3 hours because i was really anal about every tiny piece of double sided tape.

yeah, take ur time, i rushed it and ****** it up, now i gotta repaint my passanger door to fix it :(

JCell said:
yeah, take ur time, i rushed it and ****** it up, now i gotta repaint my passanger door to fix it :(
OMFGHI2UJCELL! hehehe. You ****** it up! oh man that sux!

MikeyClutch said:
ehh, my car is dirty again you you notice it right now, this weekend im gunna wash wax comound the car everyday, see how that works out for me.

A couple words of advice:

1. Compounding is an aggressive step. Don't go overboard with that compound, or you'll thin your clearcoat to the point of clearcoat failure.

2. Compound before the wax. Wax protects the paint. Compound does not. If you compound after waxing, it will just remove the wax.

Mr Detailer said:
A couple words of advice:

1. Compounding is an aggressive step. Don't go overboard with that compound, or you'll thin your clearcoat to the point of clearcoat failure.

2. Compound before the wax. Wax protects the paint. Compound does not. If you compound after waxing, it will just remove the wax.
yep, well said

Back