Small sedans under the gun: Automakers anticipating shift in U.S. market

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
Small sedans under the gun: Automakers anticipating shift in U.S. market to more versatile vehicles

RICK KRANZ | Automotive News
Posted Date: 9/21/05
FRANKFURT - Automakers are preparing for a big shift at the small-car end of the U.S. market this decade.

A new breed of vehicle, the mini-minivan, is emerging as the next major product trend for the American market, many industry watchers and executives agree. Already popular in Europe and Asia, the small one-box vehicles, along with a flood of small sporty hatchbacks, are likely to replace such low-end sedans as the Dodge Neon in automakers' lineups, they say.

"I see the possibility that monospace vehicles will slowly work their way into the U.S. marketplace, as they have done in Europe for years," Ford Motor Co. design chief J Mays said at the Frankfurt auto show last week.

Todd Turner, president of consulting firm Car Concepts Inc. in Thousand Oaks, Calif., says the functionality of these vehicles will become the hallmark of design at the low end of the market.

That means one vehicle capable of supporting owners through lifestyle phases ranging from single mountain biker to married soccer mom or dad.

"What young buyers are looking for is the most they can get for their money," he said in an interview here. "That is not just performance and size. It is capability. It is flexibility, versatility."

Similar characteristics

Generally, vehicles in the new category have similar characteristics: four-cylinder engines, front-wheel drive, good fuel economy and sticker prices beginning under $19,000.

Most important for their target audience, they offer relatively cavernous interior space despite small exterior dimensions.

Vehicles such as the Honda Element, Scion xB and recently introduced Mazda5 mini-minivan fit into the category, along with a few new names: the five-passenger 2007 Dodge Caliber, the 2007 Jeep Compass hatchbacks and the 2007 Jeep Patriot sport wagon.

Those three vehicles go on sale next year and will be priced around $17,000.

The Chrysler group's design chief, Trevor Creed, agrees that a shift is occurring.

"I think we will see more products along those lines," he said in Frankfurt.

More competition

While the new Mazda5 has the mini-minivan segment to itself in the United States for now, both Turner and Creed expect to see competition heat up. For example, Nissan is preparing a small wagonlike vehicle that will be introduced later this decade, Turner says.

The six-passenger Mazda5 features three-row seating, with two seats in each row, and is shorter, narrower and lower than the Mazda MVP minivan.

Creed said disappointing sales for the first- and second-generation Neon sedans led to the decision to create the Caliber, a five-door hatchback.

"The first Neon, the second Neon, they haven't been successes," he conceded. "So we said, 'Why don't we do something that is completely different, something people would not expect,' rather than trying to go back into Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla (sedan) territory."

source:http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103205

knew this would happen one day, just took gas prices sky rocketing to happen. good change though, not many people need those behomoth SUV's.

side note: how is the 5 selling? is it meeting mazda's projections? i have yet to see one on the streets.

i've seen a couple on the road, it's definitely a 'niche vehicle' on the market right now, especially when dealers are selling the full-size MPVs at Mazda5-like prices :D

This reminds me of the other day when I saw this strange looking chevy that was the size of a mini-minivan... I think it was a Chevy HHR..... weird car.

HHR is hideous, can't believe people actually buy that thing...

then again, people bought lots of PT Cruisers, so what do i know (shrug)

ZoomZoomH said:
HHR is hideous, can't believe people actually buy that thing...

then again, people bought lots of PT Cruisers, so what do i know (shrug)
I agree it definitely is a hate it or love it kinda thing. And as for the cruisers, my mom was one of the people to actually be on the waiting list for the turbo version. Let me just say that for having an srt4 engine in it, you would never know.

Iggy said:
knew this would happen one day, just took gas prices sky rocketing to happen. good change though, not many people need those behomoth SUV's.

side note: how is the 5 selling? is it meeting mazda's projections? i have yet to see one on the streets.

True Out of 25 people I see with those damn things, Maybe 2 of them actually have it for something they use it for.

The HHR are selling really well. I tried to look at one and not one of the Chevy dealers locally had one. I was told that I would have to order one. As for the Mazda5 is see alot of them on the road. The local Mazda dealer is having touble keeping them in stock.

The Mazda5 is under total recall, they should all be off of showroom floors and lots now, as they have an exhaust problem that has set 3 of them on fire. If you read the "1st recall" thread in the Mazda5 section, you'll see that several of the owners are on fire as well.

The HHR is apparently built on the Cobalt chassis and mechanicals. The HHR is what they came up with instead of a Cobalt wagon.
'Why don't we do something that is completely different, something people would not expect,'
...we'll build a Toyota Matrix, or a Mazda5, or a Pontiac Vibe or a Nissan Cube or a Scion Xb, you know, something completely different.

Back