The Progression of my V.1 Street Sleeper Turbo build

mspeedP5 said:
Haven't started yet. Gonna have a shop do it, then tune it. Not 'til the new year tho'. God, just looking at that picture gives me heartburn... (eek2)

i double and triple checked all my wires and then had my son read back the connection color to color twice...didn't have a problem!

Water cooling...?

Okay now I am curious about the water cooling of this unit. There seems to be conflicting opinions about the need to utilize the water cooling. Seems to me that if it was designed to accept water cooling, then it should be used. Any specific issues that should be addressed? Also, I would like to see some good pics of anyones P5 application or at least a clear description of how it is hooked up. Maybe a "How-To"? :)

azeli73, it looks like you have a good setup, but it is not the same as my P5...

Attachments

• Dcp_0125.jpg
    Dcp_0125.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 539
Damn! I'd go that route if I had known of them. I had a friend weld a bung to the coolant feed. the return line has a bung welded to the thermostat housing.

Only picture I have is this. No digital so I can't get you new ones. sorry.

http://www.msprotege.com/members/azeli73/April24th2005/14.jpg

RyanJayG said:
if you want to cool a GT2* turbo, use these fittings. http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-FTG-004&Category_Code=FTG

its what I'm using. they are nice and tight to the center housing, and use a -6 (3/8" i.d.) hose. I ran them to my TB cooling loop.

Question about gasket material

Okay next dumb question...
What do I use for gasket material for the downpipe for:
a) The mating surface at the turbo housing
b) The mating surface at the wastegate
It looks like there is a much bigger gap to fill at the turbo side when I bolt up the downpipe.
Also, what should I be torqueing the bolts too?

Question about O2 sensors

I relocated my 2nd O2 sensor to just past my 2nd cat when I installed my 4-1 header. When I finally install the turbo, can I leave it there? Or should it be relocated again to the fitting provided on the turbo downpipe? (Either way of course, one of the openings will have to be capped.)

Dumb Question #(Since I didn't start numbering them from the start, this'll be #10:)

Do I need to get different fuel injectors for my car if I am going to install this kit?

depends what boost you plan on running, but if you plan on just running whatever spring comes with it - no.

no, its not needed... infact, unless you use a fuel computer you have to keep the stock injectors. If you decide to use an FMU and clamp you'll just keep the stockers. If you run a fuel computer (or standalone) you can use whatever size injectors you want. However if you keep the boost relatively low (~8psi or lower) then there is no need to change injectors anyways.

RyanJayG said:
no, its not needed... infact, unless you use a fuel computer you have to keep the stock injectors. If you decide to use an FMU and clamp you'll just keep the stockers. If you run a fuel computer (or standalone) you can use whatever size injectors you want. However if you keep the boost relatively low (~8psi or lower) then there is no need to change injectors anyways.

Okay, thanks for clearing this up for me... :)

Dumb Question #11 :)

I cannot find any reference to what is done with the IAT sensor for the install of this system in the instructions.
Anyone?

Attachments

• Dcp_0173.jpg
    Dcp_0173.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 443
stick it down in the filter... run the wires between the going into the filter and rubber around the top of the filter

mspeedP5 said:
I cannot find any reference to what is done with the IAT sensor for the install of this system in the instructions.
Anyone?

Y ou could install it into the space before the driver's side fender. There is a hole in the side that the sensor and gromet fits into perfectly.

Attachments

• DSCF0283a.JPG
    DSCF0283a.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 356
Hmmm, am I correct in assuming then that it is not a critical part?
The filter sounds like it makes sense, but putting it in the fender well would not give an accurate intake air temperature. Or does it even matter? :confused:

mspeedP5 said:
Hmmm, am I correct in assuming then that it is not a critical part?
The filter sounds like it makes sense, but putting it in the fender well would not give an accurate intake air temperature. Or does it even matter? :confused:

Putting it in the fender will give the ECU a little bit of a cooler reading and thus give you a little more fuel, that's the reasoning of putting it there. (thumb)

Back