The Progression of my V.1 Street Sleeper Turbo build

i doubt it, because the fitting will thread most of all the way down in there then you will have teflon tape around it to get a good seal. but now if you stripped out the threads that would be trouble.

brealmp3 said:
i doubt it, because the fitting will thread most of all the way down in there then you will have teflon tape around it to get a good seal. but now if you stripped out the threads that would be trouble.

If anything is stripped, it is just at the top, because that fitting would not wind in. What a PITA. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the right one. I'm gonna take the whole turbo in to the shop with me.

no, infact my fitting doesn't have the restrictor.

*edit* but what is critical is the 1/8" NPT side of the fitting. it has to have the inverted taper on the inside of the fitting, and the other end is a -4 AN male.

look down into the fitting hole on the turbo and see the cone shape in there? thats how it seals against the fitting. so you dont need thread tape, or pipe dope, which wouldn't survive the temperatures of the turbo.

Last edited:
oh, and my oil feed line is roughly 1 meter long, and has a 90 deg on one end. -4 AN female fittings on both ends.

RyanJayG said:
*edit* but what is critical is the 1/8" NPT side of the fitting. it has to have the inverted taper on the inside of the fitting, and the other end is a -4 AN male.

This is where I think I got f***ed up. I was using a 1/8" NPT fitting. It was too big. The info on APT Turbo indicates a 7/16-24 w/inverted taper. :confused:

RyanJayG said:
no, infact my fitting doesn't have the restrictor.

look down into the fitting hole on the turbo and see the cone shape in there? thats how it seals against the fitting. so you dont need thread tape, or pipe dope, which wouldn't survive the temperatures of the turbo.

I bought that same fitting from ATP Turbo for my setup. I actually use threadlocker to seal my oil fitting lines. No leaks ever in the 3 years I've used it.

few questions: im looking to buy this kit off someone on the forums... What are the draws of this kit compared to the the newer version?
And is it upgradable to make it the new kit, like manifold, intercooler etc...?

What I can tell you is this:

1. The 1st gen kit uses a Tial 38mm external wastgate.
2. You want the tubular manifold of the 2nd gen for higher boost (over 15 PSI).
3. As far as upgradability, at least in my case the inernal wastegate actuator arm was welded so that the wastegate stays shut (because I am using the external wastegate). That makes upgrading more costly for me.
4. All the newer kits come with FMIC's with angled end-tanks.

5. My car makes great power on 15 PSI (says the butt dyno), and the 1st gen sleeper kit.

Well, I managed to get the right fitting to fit the turbo housing. Here's the works, and not bad pricing either. (CA$)

Dcp_0066copy.jpg

Dcp_0067copy.jpg

Well I got my FMIC installed this weekend. No piping yet, one step at a time and plus I need to have my car to get to work in the morning. I just capped both ends with the bottoms of a couple of beer cans lol!
One criticism that I have of this intercooler is that the lower 1/3 of the core is totally blocked by the frame at the rear so really there is only air-flow through the top 2/3.... (scratch)
Anyway, it's in tight and everything went back into place the way it should.

Dcp_0083copy.jpg

I need to know how critical it is to use studs to mount the downpipe to the turbo housing as shown in this pic courtesy of LinuxRacr...

DSCF1136.JPG

I have allen head bolts that will fit, like on the wastegate side, but if studs are really required, then I will use them.

With that downpipe, you may want to go ahead and use allen cap screws. Nuts don't necessarily have the clearance to clear the welds. Just get some Grade 8 Steel, or Grade A2 Stainless allen cap screws, and you will be fine.

Back