Winter Wheels - 16s on a 3s

waltmcgee said:
never heard of coopers before....for that price i'd consider taking a look at the Michelin X-Ice or for a bit more maybe the Alpin's....my roommate is putting X-Ice's on his (hah) 2003 VW Golf, and its going to be about 940 tax inc. installed

I called around to some of the tire shops here and found out that the Michelin X-Ice tires are about $200 each (eek2) (incl. tax, installed). So if I go with those, I'm looking at almost $1200 for tires and rims...

lelola said:
I called around to some of the tire shops here and found out that the Michelin X-Ice tires are about $200 each (eek2) (incl. tax, installed). So if I go with those, I'm looking at almost $1200 for tires and rims...

WOW...thats pricey...thats what i'm paying for my Alpin's

goldwing2000 said:
Exactly right. And if you have to deviate, it's better to go shorter than taller. Taller tires mean your speedo reads too slow and you're more likely to get a ticket. (notcool)

Actually, it is not too bad to go a little higher on the speedo. Factory speedo's are allowed to read high by as much as 11%. Your tires will never be off by that much. But I do agree with having the tires as close as possible.

MightyMouse said:
Actually, it is not too bad to go a little higher on the speedo. Factory speedo's are allowed to read high by as much as 11%. Your tires will never be off by that much. But I do agree with having the tires as close as possible.

its not only the speedo that becomes an issue though, becuase it can cause irregularities in your computer systems which could cause them to reset to a "safety" mode which could serious impact your performance...at least thats how it was explained to me...

I've found another winter tire package from Mazda...
$899+GST for 16" steels and Toyo Garit H/T tires.

I've read that these tires are pretty good on snow & ice (please correct me if I'm wrong) but how are they on dry pavement?

lelola said:
I've found another winter tire package from Mazda...
$899+GST for 16" steels and Toyo Garit H/T tires.

I've read that these tires are pretty good on snow & ice (please correct me if I'm wrong) but how are they on dry pavement?

here

an excellent place to do tire comparisons...not sure if they have that one, but they do have a wide selection

waltmcgee said:
its not only the speedo that becomes an issue though, becuase it can cause irregularities in your computer systems which could cause them to reset to a "safety" mode which could serious impact your performance...at least thats how it was explained to me...

Somehow I doubt that. I think whoever told you that was either yanking your chain or completely clueless. Your computer doesn't care what size tires you have. It reads everything at the hubs or the transmission, so the distance between the axle and the road is irrelevant, as far as it is concerned. For any tire to have any kind of serious impact on performance, it would have to be radically different in size. Like multiple inches difference.

goldwing2000 said:
Somehow I doubt that. I think whoever told you that was either yanking your chain or completely clueless. Your computer doesn't care what size tires you have. It reads everything at the hubs or the transmission, so the distance between the axle and the road is irrelevant, as far as it is concerned. For any tire to have any kind of serious impact on performance, it would have to be radically different in size. Like multiple inches difference.

that makes more sense now that i think about it...but it would still have an impact on overall gas milage, and probably throw the odometer out of wack too, no?

waltmcgee said:
that makes more sense now that i think about it...but it would still have an impact on overall gas milage, and probably throw the odometer out of wack too, no?

Definitely. Speedo out of whack=Odo out of whack.
And larger tires take more power to get them rolling because it decreases the effectivness of your axle ratio.

lelola said:

If you're in Edmonton, try Weber Motors, they have 16" steel rims and X-Ice for $1025CAD, everything included. There are no other options for the tire however. I would have preffered Alpine or Blizzak but they don't have them. Any opinions on how good X-Ice are? Is it worth the upgrade to Blizzak or Alpine?

mtheoro said:
If you're in Edmonton, try Weber Motors, they have 16" steel rims and X-Ice for $1025CAD, everything included. There are no other options for the tire however. I would have preffered Alpine or Blizzak but they don't have them. Any opinions on how good X-Ice are? Is it worth the upgrade to Blizzak or Alpine?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_blizzak_revo1.jsp

I am taking off my 205/6016 Blizzak WS-50's and putting on 205/55/16 Blizzak REVO1's.

Last edited:
mtheoro said:

Thanks anyways. I got myself some Toyo Garit H/Ts & 16" steels....
Just need a little snow now to test them out...

MightyMouse said:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_blizzak_revo1.jsp

I am taking off my 205/6016 Blizzak WS-50's and putting on 205/55/16 Blizzak REVO1's.

Thanks for the link. I was wondering if the Q rating is going to be a problem for these tires on dry roads. For example, how would they behave if you drive 130km/h on a dry highway, will they wear pretty fast? Is it worth to upgrade to a H or V rated winter tires? And conversly, do the H and V rated tires come at the expense of a poorer ice/snow performance? My main concern at the moment is to decide between the Q ratinga and a H or V rating.
Another question: I am downsizing form 17" to 16" rims for the winter. I assume the rims that come form the dealer are fine, after all they know what rims fit on the car. What if I go to Kalotire or Tire Warehouse or a shop like that. Will they know the proper 16" rims for a Mazda3? I am asking these because I looked on tirerack.com and I couldn't find 16" rims with the EXACT specifications (offset, etc...) as the stock rims (posted somewhere on this website). I honestly don't know much about these specifications, I guess it is important to be close to the recommendations, but what is an acceptable margin of error?
To make a long story short: will a good tire shop know the right rims for my car?

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for (eventual) bad english.

lelola said:
Thanks anyways. I got myself some Toyo Garit H/Ts & 16" steels....
Just need a little snow now to test them out...

What shop did you go to? And how much was it?

Thanks!

mtheoro said:
What shop did you go to? And how much was it?

Thanks!

I got them from Kramer Mazda in Calgary. I live in Lethbridge and I called every tire place around here (including my dealer) but Kramer seemed to have the best deal. I paid $986 + some change including all taxes ($899 without) for the tires & rims. But I think the price went up by $100 as of Nov. 1....

Well, screw it. I just went out and got Blizzaks at a local tire shop (~$700 after mounting and taxes :() to fit the stock alloys and will just get nice 18" rims/tires come tax time. I figure about $1500 complete will get me some decent tires and rims - if not, maybe I'll go down to 17" rims again.

yeah 1500 will get you some nice 18' wheels and some decent rubber... i have been lookin at the konig site a lot lately... nice lookin wheels!!!

yeah that what i did last winter. i just bought some ok winter tires (i used to drive with bold summer tires without a problem) and put them on my stock 16s. this summer i bought a nice set of 18" and good rubber.

Now that we have our rims and tires could someone tell me where the post was about the proper fit of the rim to the hub. The hub measures about 67.16 mm and the hole in my rims measures about 73 mm. That leave a clearance of almost 1/10" between the rim centre hole and the hub. The studs are carrying the load ! And actually the stud threads may be overloaded. Are there rim to hub spacers available at the aftermarket shops? The rims I have are those that were listed for the M3 but that clearance seem a bit excessive to me. Thanks...

ZoomVT said:
yeah that what i did last winter. i just bought some ok winter tires (i used to drive with bold summer tires without a problem) and put them on my stock 16s. this summer i bought a nice set of 18" and good rubber.

I wish I had 16's as stock rim size! The difference in price between 16 and 17 inch Blizzaks is about $30 per tire ($107 for 16" rims, $135 for 17" rims according to tirerack.com). It would have saved me around $120. That's why I was trying to find some cheap 16" steel rims.

Back